NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

caution on the FG knot - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default caution on the FG knot

Started using the FG on all my tuna rigs in 2015. Last year-2016-on a tuna trip had all the mono out so I checked the FG knot---I pulled it apart with hardly any effort. When I tied it originally, it was good to go --put 20# pressure on each rig with no failures. Yes I was really careful not to miss that one critical step. The one that failed was on my lite 30# rig.
Mate on the Gambler showed me a knot that I think is fool proof. First double up the braid with a surgeons knot but make 5-7 turns through the loop & make sure no turn overlaps the previous one, end up with at least a 12-16" doubled loop & trim that tag end. Next tie an Albright knot but make 12 loops going away from the mono loop and keep the loops fairly tight. Now make 12 tight loops coming back and go through the mono loop coming out the same way you went in. IE: went in bottom to top, come out top to bottom. Pull on both mono and both braids, easing the 12 turns down gently to the mono loop with your finger nails or fingers before pulling it tight. Trim the mono & braid tags-mono can be trimmed close as possible...knot's about the same size as the FG.
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 01-15-2017, 11:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: caution on the FG knot

Why do you think the FG knot failed after testing ok when first tied?

Anything to do with it being buried on the reel under mono? Or moisture?

KUKUBABY FISHING TEAM

EST. 1995
Old 01-15-2017, 11:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Tried the FG with Berkley Nano.
braid was way too slick and while it seemed to pull down nice, a good pull on it and it slid right apart.

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 01-17-2017, 03:49 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsy Guy View Post
Started using the FG on all my tuna rigs in 2015. Last year-2016-on a tuna trip had all the mono out so I checked the FG knot---I pulled it apart with hardly any effort. When I tied it originally, it was good to go --put 20# pressure on each rig with no failures. Yes I was really careful not to miss that one critical step. The one that failed was on my lite 30# rig.
Mate on the Gambler showed me a knot that I think is fool proof. First double up the braid with a surgeons knot but make 5-7 turns through the loop & make sure no turn overlaps the previous one, end up with at least a 12-16" doubled loop & trim that tag end. Next tie an Albright knot but make 12 loops going away from the mono loop and keep the loops fairly tight. Now make 12 tight loops coming back and go through the mono loop coming out the same way you went in. IE: went in bottom to top, come out top to bottom. Pull on both mono and both braids, easing the 12 turns down gently to the mono loop with your finger nails or fingers before pulling it tight. Trim the mono & braid tags-mono can be trimmed close as possible...knot's about the same size as the FG.
The best knot for light tackle use when connecting mono to braid is in my opinion the reverse or modified Albright !
Both simple to tie & if u double braid with Bimini loop then tie it's plenty strong for ANY inshore use .
I've taken many tuna on this connection as well but it really shines inshore , I personally never pop this knot , simple fast & reliable !
Offshore most in know anglers all splice up can even do this inshore since I can now splice down to,30# HC
I haven't got any idea why any inshore angler would want to tackle this knot on a rocking boat etc when u can twist a version of the Albright in seconds.
Guy told me one time, when ur clip knot an piece of mono,sticks out &" can get caugjth in guides occassionaly , if I clip close dab with knot sense or similar glue that fills gaps no,issue !
More importantly u can replace a leader in seconds if u lose one that's the key. I,wouldn't get,caught up,in any of these knots that require a precision tie .
I fish too much too waste time on,knots that somebody else claims are best I'll put this knot against any of them for a mutitude of use both in &"offshore
Remember 100 % so,called knots aren't required on inshore grounds etc when ur leader & braid is generally 30# & above !
Sort of like a bass expert telling u Man U gotta have this baitcaster great drag , how would they know they horse in every fish , so in my book I,would prefer a great casting reel with a decent drag don't get caught up in the hype knots included !
Old 01-17-2017, 05:56 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm with Lou on the Improved Albright knot. Very easy to tie, slim and I've never had one slip.

Most important part of the knot is at the end.. You need to be sure the braid exits the mono loop the same direction it came in, either under or over the mono.

If you screw up here the knot will fail when you go to pull it tight.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's what I'm using now on all my rigs from fluke to the heavier tuna rig.
Don't know why it failed as I had successfully fought 70-80# YFT with 50-60' braid off the reel on the initial run on both 30# & 50# rigs.
Using that modified Surgeons loop to double the braid and modified Improved Albright for the connection to mono, I had no failures. You just have to be careful that the braid lays down without backing up on itself it lays tight & no loose wraps...
In total agreement with Capt. Lou and Gerry...Never too old to learn!!!
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)