NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Meeting/Why We Should Support a Longer Season - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fluke Meeting/Why We Should Support a Longer Season

I think a fish or two less, maybe 6 fish at 16 or17 inches so that the tourists that fish party boats have a chance to keep something.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Smile Re: Fluke Meeting/Why We Should Support a Longer Season

Lets keep it simple for every one 18" fish longer season educate those who pretend not to know the rules. For those who do not catch their bag limit just think it could happen the next trip out. I enjoy fishing and if I catch legal fish it adds a plus to my trip
Old 02-28-2012, 04:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I respect your opinion. Nobody could say any of you're arguments are wrong, but can't we at least for one season try a shorter size limit? Maybe the majority of fishermen will actually come to favor it. It's not like we can't revert back to a longer size limit next season.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Mike, I hear you and all others, IMO we have sacraficed
for years now to try to rebuild the stock. If the powers
to be feel we are headed in the right direction now,
let's wait and see how this season plays out. I voted for
option 2 for 2012 for many reasons, but let's not put
the horse before the cart.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Ummm The stock has been rebuilt for 4 years already maybe 5. This crap they are pulling now is all about politics not about the fluke.

When the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act was imposed and a finite time frame to rebuild fluke stocks that have fell to a record low was implemented, they gave themselves a 10 year time frame starting in 2000. IMHO by 2007 the stock was rebuilt but to them they still needed more, so the kept this charade going and then said well we will not make the 10 year deadline so lets impose stricter laws.

These people are idiots and if you think for one second the fluke stock isn't rebuilt, you need to go fluking more often.

This isn't about the stocks any longer it is like I have stated before about politics...
Sidewinder I agree, also anyone can justify anything,SO WHAT PAUL IS SAYING IS THAT we can't control ourselves ?, so we beat up on one species so we don't beat up on another ? what kind of pretzel logic is that ? longer seaon huh ? what happened last year irene blew through and shut IT down, we lost the longer season, and how many times do weekend warriors really limit out ? especially on a party boat ? they give us options and make us think they are doing us a favor, ALMOST same as when you want a kid to do something he dont want to do, therefore you give him one or more WORSE options, hence he has no choice but to pick the option you want him to choose.
Their numbers are skewed PERIOD.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks for some of your kind words and support for the option 2 (8 fluke at
18" with an 8 fish bag limit and a season from 5/5 - 10/21) . I will be testifying at the meeting on behalf of the Berkeley Striper Club and the New Jersey Beach Buggy Association. Also as 2nd VP of the Jersey Coast Angler's Association, I was very pleased at tonights meeting where the vast majority of member clubs present voted to support the same option. JCAA will be sending another one of our members to speak on behalf of this option. Just for the record, even though the majority of our member clubs voted to support this option we still encourage our member clubs who prefer a different option to send one of thier representatives to speak at the meeting. As I said earlier it is important for all those who care about fluke fishing to let their voices be heard.

Paul Haertel
2nd V. P. - Jeresy Coast Anglers Association
member - Berkeley Striper Club, New Jersey Beach Buggy Assoiciation and New Jersey Outdoor Alliance
Old 03-01-2012, 07:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Real nice job Paul! I agree one thousand percent on your presentation. I will also be there. Thanks for your efforts!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:16 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by team heat
While i agree with most of what angler paul is saying i think we should take into account that problably 80% of the people fishing for fluke are not really good at it.These people are moms and dads with their kids,boyfreinds,girlfreinds,grandpop,company charters,rental boaters etc.Having a 5 fish limit @ 17.5inches would a least give all these people a shot at bringing home a meal or two or seeing a smile on a kids face.For us in the other 20% we know you have to go to the rough stuff to have chance of getting a limit of 18 inch fish.If you go on a party boat who do you think is catching the most and the biggest fish its the guys in the bow with their custom rods and reels and tackle boxes full of jigs while the regular fares are catching shorts or nothing at all.The party boat captains are not going to take a boatload of rookies to the rattlesnake even know they know thats where the keepers are.We in the 20% fish more often and are alot better at it so having enough fluke fillets is usually not a problem.I hope we just dont think about ourselves but take everbody into account.
Try fishing the J2. Captain Ryan hits the rough stuff no matter what. That's why I'm getting ready now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012_0301jigs0002.JPG
Views:	494
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	45868  
Old 03-01-2012, 01:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalfisherman
Try fishing the J2. Captain Ryan hits the rough stuff no matter what. That's why I'm getting ready now!
Yeah that looks like about a weeks worth of Bucktails LOL.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Fluke Meeting/Why We Should Support a Longer Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K
I respect your opinion. Nobody could say any of you're arguments are wrong, but can't we at least for one season try a shorter size limit? Maybe the majority of fishermen will actually come to favor it. It's not like we can't revert back to a longer size limit next season.
Just out of curiosity, where does it say we can revert back to a longer season next year if a shorter size limit doesn't work?

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)