NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Killer Tangle Free Cod Rig - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 01-16-2009, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Killer Tangle Free Cod Rig

It seems Cod, in general like pink or red teasers.
Like MVP said, it seems like certain colors work better in different areas at different times. I always liked the pink grubs and pink skirts for the Cod but have seen them caught on white green , purple and of course no teaser at all. Be prepared.. The Tsunami squids work well too. I never used Gulp for Cod yet. Whatever you do....DO NOT USE ORANGE.

Leif
Old 01-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Site Moderator

and pray tell us why not orange?
NJ DEVILS
Old 01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Orange=Absolute Shark/Doggie magnet.

Leif

Last edited by Leif; 01-16-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
No tangle Cod Rig.

I was never an advocate of "Bells and Whistles" When it came to rigs. Especially Cod.
I always used a 2 hook "High Low" rig tied on 60-80lb leader. The 6-10 in snelled 7/0 bait holders were looped through small dropper loops and that was it. If it was a sticky wreck one high hook did the trick. Often those rigs would get stuck and twist/tangle up. Here is a rig I have used with much sucess in New England New York an New Jersey.

Tip. Since there are not tons of Cod around I use the "Last one down is a rotten egg method". Meaning I am ready with bait on to hit the bottom as soon as possible after anchoring. When that Cod sees those grubs and clam on your hook first....you got him! "You snooze you lose"

The Cod are coming back. Hit the Gambler, Jamaica, Jamaica II, Voyager, Golden Eagle or other Sponsor fishing for them. I have caught Cod on most of these boats. If you can't get out now, the Spring should be good too.

This rig works great when there is a current. It does not tangle and it catches Cod.

You can also remove the botom hook and replace it with a smaller hook on a snelled leader for ling.
DISCLAIMER...
CONDITIONS VARY SO NOTHING WORKS PERFECT ALL THE TIME AND I KNOW EVERY COD FISHERMAN HAS THERE FAVORITE RIG.

Materials

7 ft 80-100lb clear Leader
3 230lb Spro swivels
2 8/0 Mustad/Eagle Claw O'Shauhnessy
2 6-8 in Pink Grubs

First open eye of 8/0 hooks and attach swivel, close eye using pliers. The swivels allow the hooks and bait to rotate so the rig will not trist on itself.

Sharpen these hooks!!! I use a dremel to do this because it is fast. Whatever you use make sure the hooks are sharp.

1 Tie a Perfection loop in one end for the sinker
2 Tie a 6in dropper loop 6-8in up from the loop
3 Tie in another Dropper loop 3ft above the first.
4 Attach one Swivel with clinch Knot 6-10 in above last loop
5 Loop hooks on and thread on pink grubs.

Leif
Capt.
Funny I never thought of putting grubs on salt water stuff. And I can't think of a good reason (except for bluefish) not to dress with one.

Great tip, cod fish or not. THANKS!

Capt. Frank
Old 01-16-2009, 10:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Type of teasers used will depend on what they are feeding on.
If fish feeding on sand eels Fly type teasers, tubes and grub type mimick sand eel.
Squid type teasers if feeding on squid.
Plastics shad type of grub type for shad.
As you always hear try to match the hatch. Also the fluttering effect of different type of teasers will entice fish to strike.

MVP
Old 01-16-2009, 10:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cod flies work to as a general imitator.

Leif
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cod Flie.jpg
Views:	693
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	7263  

Last edited by Leif; 01-17-2009 at 07:04 AM..
Old 01-17-2009, 11:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurr711
just curious as far as the teasers is there any special type you'ld reccomend. i was fishing gup! 5 inchers offsshore last week and culd not keep the pitbulls off of them.
Great thread, nice rig pic & good Q jmurr711.
I would like to know what grubs & squids you guys are using. I always wanted to try Gulp on that type set-up, both gulp squid & gulp twist-tail grubs. What did you mean by "pitbulls"... dogfish?
Thanks.
JD

Last edited by jjdbike; 01-17-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Old 01-17-2009, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

OK here's a question.
I've used this set up w/ siwash open-eye piched on to a swivel. Not the perfect hook design for the application.
What might be great would be an open eye or ringed (non-forged) bait holder. The longer, but not too shank would be good for both grubs & squid. The baitholder slices will help hold grub on. Open eye or non-forged ringed so a swivel can be pinched on.
What do you think.... any suggestions?
JD
Old 01-17-2009, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdbike
OK here's a question.
I've used this set up w/ siwash open-eye piched on to a swivel. Not the perfect hook design for the application.
What might be great would be an open eye or ringed (non-forged) bait holder. The longer, but not too shank would be good for both grubs & squid. The baitholder slices will help hold grub on. Open eye or non-forged ringed so a swivel can be pinched on.
What do you think.... any suggestions?
JD
I use the O'Shaughnessy Eagle Claw 254 hook because the eye of the hook can be opened and swivel attached easily. It is a strong hook with a good shank for the grub. If you use the saltwater grubs they appear to be harder and really stick to the hook. They rarely slip.

The siwash open eye hooks are easy to work with but for this application I feel the hook is too heavy, too wide of a gap and too short of a shank.

I like the idea you had of the bait holder(non-forged) with an open eye or ringed eye. I haven't seen these available though. I have tried heating the eye of these forged hooks with a torch. It works but it is a lot of work and sometimes the eye still breaks and is probably weaker if it doesn't.

Trying different things and improving on ideas is always good. Thanks for the comments, ideas and interest. I am always open to learn and consider all options when it comes to fishing.

Leif