NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

6 lb channel catfish pic - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 07-26-2013, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default 6 lb channel catfish pic

Yesterday evening I went fishing in the 73 degree flooded Millstone River. I caught and released a yellow perch and black crappie with a small jig and landed a 20" 4.5 lb common carp and 26" 6 lb channel catfish with my homemade corn meal bait. I kept the carp and released the catfish. The big cat fought harder and longer than the carp. http://s865.photobucket.com/user/NJ2...tml?sort=3&o=0
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: 6 lb channel catfish pic

Let us know how the carp cooks up. A Mitchell 300 with an Ugly Stick......WOW, you could run your car over that outfit and pick it up and keep fishing with it.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 6 lb channel catfish pic

Wow - that's a nice catfish.

I'm not sure why you released the catfish and ate the carp, though. A few weeks ago I caught a carp in Spruce Run. I was going to take it home to use as a cut bait later on. I parked my car and launch my kayak out of the parking lot by Van Sickle pier. When I paddled up to the parking lot, all these people who fish from the pier kept pestering me to sell or give them the carp.

I thought maybe everything I knew about eating fish was wrong and carp must have some gastronomic value if all these people wanted my carp. I decided to eat the carp.

I brought it home, cut two big fillets off it, fried it up and eat some. It was AWFUL!

The meat was dark, very fishy, and had a weird texture. The fillets were full of really sharp pin bones that impaled the inside of my mouth. I felt like one of those unfortunate creatures that tries to bite a porcupine. I will NEVER try to eat a carp again!
Old 07-26-2013, 08:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 6 lb channel catfish pic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ219bands
I kept the carp and released the catfish.
I would have kept the catfish and released the carp...