NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Small Boat - Hudson Canyon - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:55 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Small Boat - Hudson Canyon

and if your leaving in the dark from that area of monmouth cove, you better fine tune that radar, because plowing through those mudhole pots in the dark is nothing but a pain in the bizzles!! almost easier to run around them.. but if you are running through and across make sure you have it all set up and run that baby at 1/8 mile to make sure you can pick something up.

I would also recommend a good pair of nightvision binoculars.. going through that area in the dark is a complete crap shoot!
Old 06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Bryan???? If you are who I think you are, give me a call and I can lend you what you need.

Sport makes a great point about the distance needed to get to the fish. 100 sq is adding on another 24 miles to your trip... not to mention trolling all day.

Keep in mind that it can blow up quickly out there and you WILL have a rough ride home if it does. Even if it doesn't, on your way home in the afternoon.... the last 20 miles to the beach can get pretty snotty.

I would make sure to run with a buddy boat at least the first time you try, to make sure of your range. I am scheduled to do a canyon run on 7/11 and am going to try to get out there one time before that...just not this weekend

Ted
Old 06-29-2010, 10:05 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMac
Is your cockpit self-bailing? He has two engines, Yes he might take it a little harder on the knees, but his boat will not sink any quicker than the big sportfisher's.

If you take a 10' wave over the bow, it fills your cockpit and you lose power, its really not going to help you if your cockpit is self bailing. You are suddenly in extremis.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Why not just tell hime HE WILL DIE!

Gez all this crap can go wrong in the Mudhole too. And freak 40 knot summer storms(aka squalls) can happen in Raritan Bay too.

Enough gas/2 stoke oil. And an EPIRB(VHF's are out of range w/o a relay) are all great advice. And Sea Tow insurance in case.

Then have enough ice, water, enough bait, spare parts for every single piece of the engine, spare props, clothes for all four seasons, scuba mask, turkey for thanksgiving dinner, spare bottom paint, christmas cards, etc. COMMON SENSE.

You've fished offshore and should already know 99% of this right?

Sorry NOT to piss on your parade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportfishingusa
no offense with this comment, but if you plan to run to the hudson and troll just spreaders and daisy chains you might want to re think your aresenal..

Although a ton of fish come on those lures you talk about, you are going to want to add some others to your spread and not just spreader bars all around.

The fish you are looking to catch are not walking around the 100 line. Some guys have been fishing in 500-1000 fathoms and i dont think your boat is going to hold enough fuel to get you there.

24ft boat and 200 gallons of fuel, if you get good mileage on the boat and say you get 1.5 miles to the gallon, you are getting 300 miles to the tank.

You are looking from up in MI, The hook, 80+ miles to the edge, plus another 10 or so depending on what water you want to take on. you run to the 100square your talking even further.

In my opinion, you either need to charter a boat, find a friend with a bigger boat, or just stay at the dock and enjoy the reports.

We have gone out and started trolling in a lake like setting, all of a sudden the wind comes up and we are getting blasted 30-40kts in our face. granted it doesnt happen all the time and depends on the weather being called for, but you NEVER KNOW out there.. it is you and mother nature, so being an owner of a 24 center console with twin 150 and knowing what i have been through on smaller boats as well as 50-100fters and it is not a place to yahoo around and thats why any experiences captain looks for great weather windows.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 06-29-2010, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Buddy boat is the best thing to have, ask around.

Add to the list:

nurf football (plugs holes well)
use some frozen water bottles as ice (could drink if needed)
Chemical stick lights (fishing and if you need em underwater)
Mask
Bolt Cutters (ever suck a trap into a prop?)
Beer
Old 06-29-2010, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank's Boating College
Why not just tell hime HE WILL DIE!

Gez all this crap can go wrong in the Mudhole too. And freak 40 knot summer storms(aka squalls) can happen in Raritan Bay too.

Enough gas/2 stoke oil. And an EPIRB(VHF's are out of range w/o a relay) are all great advice. And Sea Tow insurance in case.

Then have enough ice, water, enough bait, spare parts for every single piece of the engine, spare props, clothes for all four seasons, scuba mask, turkey for thanksgiving dinner, spare bottom paint, christmas cards, etc. COMMON SENSE.

You've fished offshore and should already know 99% of this right?

Sorry NOT to piss on your parade.

So the Gist of what your trying to say? lol
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Bryan,

It's Tom on the S.T. Barb (26 Grady Express) it looks like you will be running in the dark a bit, when you get about 2 miles outside of SH channel you will run through an area loaded with fish pots that have low lying markers and rarely show up on anything under an open array radar so run with caution. The area should be shown on your chart plotter if its fairly up to date... its between the BA and SH channel. Other then that you will not run into any obstacles until you can see again so it should be a safe ride, I've done plenty of day troll trips but rare do anymore, we overnight instead, a lot more fish time, especially since most of the better tuna bite has been early AM right now. Have 2 guys by the helm, one running the boat the other watching radar for you, it makes life a lot easier and keeps you from taking your eyes off whats ahead. As far as Fri, its the worst day out of the weekend so far, its runnable but I've seen days with 10-15 2-4 become a lot worse so keep any eye on the report and ALWAYS check the weather bouy before departing. Watch the swell height and period as well as the wind wave height and period, a swell under 9-10 seconds can make your run really crappy if its the wrong direction so watch that carefully. You want your first trip to the edge to be safe and successful. We were planning to run the hudson Fri/Sat for an overnighter... tile fish and troll 2-3 hrs Fri pm drift for a sword over night and troll til noon Sat but we opted against it, weather report from my experience has too many inconsistencies and keeps changing and the reports are mixed...water at the Hudson was greenish in many areas the last I heard, but that can change very fast. The 100 sq was giving up some big eyes earlier in the week, but hard to target on a smaller boat and I would assume there will be a fleet on them if they stay there. The tip isnt a bad place to start, or the bombs, especially for smaller boats that cannot always run the 100sq right away. The W wall has given up scattered shots at yft and typically is a good place to troll. The elbows can be productive as well as the 050/150 area. Typically I troll the W wall and chunk the E unless I see something worthwhile on the opposite side like a temp break or change in water quality. The W wall also give you a chance to tilefish and save the day before running home.
As far as lures, rainbow green machines and green machines are giving up nice catches and running some ballyhoo is good as well. Typically we pull 3 bars in our spread, a bird with a green machine behind it, a jet somewhere in the spread, a feather somewhere in the spread and a daisy chain with a ballyhoo behind it and another ballyhoo. We mix up the colors a bit until we find what works. As far as ballyhoo, I prefer moldcraft lil hookers or ilander trackers blue/white or pink/white are good, early and late i like black/purple or black/ green colors. Try and keep the spread looking uniform as far as spreader bars go, it does make a difference when the fish are finicky. If you do get into an area with big eyes around, bring the spread in tight to the boat to increase your chances of hooking up.

As far as making the run, set fuel numbers in your head, whats the MAX your willing to burn on the way out...if you hit this number nomatter where you are you start trolling unless your willing to cut into your troll time. I have set numbers for me. I stop running at 80gal, allow 40 for trolling which is 10+hrs of trolling, and 80 for the ride in, this puts me at 200gal with 50 in reserve. You need 1/5 of a tank min as backup incase it gets nasty out there. also, use good judegment, if it gets nasty and your burning more then you need to aim for manasquan its closer and running up the beach is a lot safer then being beat up offshore.

As far as running the first time, I always recommend having a buddy boat to run with, not necessarily side by side but leaving similar times and in radio contact in case something goes wrong. I always run out knowing other boats heading to the edge. It also helps for locating fish.
I would highly recommend having an epirb with you guys, its one of the most important things to have when heading offshore. The handheld vhf is good, but you need to have a handheld gps to make it effective in rescue. A life rafts great but it only keeps you afloat and out of the water, it does not notify authorities. Sat phones are nice, but you'd have to call home for help which takes time and slows the process up, an epirb is the only way to be safe, plb's are another alternative which are good but not as good as an epirb, but a lot better then nothing.

Have a safe ride and do not be afraid to cancel the trip if your not comfortable with the sea conditions or if something doesn't feel right. We rushed the first year to get offshore and looking back it wasn't worth risking our lives...all went well and we came home with fish but safety is really important and comes first.

As far as channels offshore, I always use 65, but 68 isnt bad either...it really depends mostly on where the fleet is out of each port seems to have there own channels. Whenever we have a network of boats going out we also designate a go to channel, not that its secretive, but it allows us to talk on a channel with less clutter.

Be safe!!

I will be down Fri gearing the boat up, were going sharking Saturday so I will see how you guys made out. If you have any questions pm me.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Cap,

The only thing I have additional is an Epirb...and I'm in the Chicken with my 24' single engine pretty frequently... but that’s only 52 miles...and your adding 30 plus miles to that..The weather window is probably the most important thing as with such a small boat you'd take a beating. As for the comment about the guys in Florida...if they had an Epirb they'd all probably still be alive as it gives out your exact location for the coast guard rescue..In fact from my memory the only thing they had were survival suits and nothing else, not even portable VHF. When are you heading out…I’m leaving Belmar tomorrow for the Chicken…At least you’d have company for most of the ride.

Andrew
Old 06-29-2010, 02:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBaiter
Cap,

The only thing I have additional is an Epirb...and I'm in the Chicken with my 24' single engine pretty frequently... but that’s only 52 miles...and your adding 30 plus miles to that..The weather window is probably the most important thing as with such a small boat you'd take a beating. As for the comment about the guys in Florida...if they had an Epirb they'd all probably still be alive as it gives out your exact location for the coast guard rescue..In fact from my memory the only thing they had were survival suits and nothing else, not even portable VHF. When are you heading out…I’m leaving Belmar tomorrow for the Chicken…At least you’d have company for most of the ride.

Andrew
Actually, if they had cut the anchor line they would prob still be alive.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

good luck!! I have been out there in a 21ft cc about 3 years ago. It was 4-6s and blowin 15-20, it was not fun, but twe had 5 yellows on the troll and it made the trip well worth it. It is a hard trip with no sleeping area, but still had a good time and would do it again. As long as you have twins you can go because of the back up. But definately be careful and have fun, your time seems to fit the same time we had. Good luck, cathem up.