NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

FAVORITE FISH to catch and why - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default FAVORITE FISH to catch and why

FOR ME ITS THE ONE ON THE END OF MY LINE

coolest thing about fishing for me is how many different fish there are we can fish for and how UNIQUE they all are . each having its own distinct fight.

Whats even better is for the most part there are breaks between each fish that for me has me ready for the next species

Spring into summer there is no doubt I dont want to fish for anything other than BIG striped bass , whether it be livelining or throwing top waters, to watch those explosians on top are just plain cool .

As the fourth of July comes around I have already had the itch to be headed out looking for Tuna. guys thinking that putting tuna in the boat takes less skill than catching a blackfish have probably NEVER caught a 70+ inch fish on a jigging rod, because once you do im sure you will agree there are not many fish than can HURT you like they do .
I wish I could get the sounds of a trolling rod getting ripped out, the slam of a jig all in one because thats the only way it could be an better. fighting a BIG tuna on a rod that looks better suited for fluking is tough to beat.

Once October comes around I cant wait to bottom fish and hope to feel the Thump and bull dogging of a BIG tog. While im sure to get bashed for it I dont find the bite of a tog as mystical as alot of guys do . After fishing for them I feel you learn the different ways they feed and adjust so your catching fish . what makes me love tog fishing is that solid bulldogging in the begining and not knowing at firsst how big the tog might be beause for me most of the big tog have hit very lightly, and I LOVE the surprise of the rod tip heading towards the water on those initial runs.

Throw in fluke , sea bass, albies and bluefish and you have a great year of constantly changing fights to never get bored.

Funny thing is the fish I like to eat the most I really dont like fishing for.
I REALLY enjoy tilefish, but puling up dead weight from 600 plus feet , just isnt as much fun as all the rest.

I wish we had Grouper and amberjacks up here like in North Carolina as im sure I would be squeezing them in somewhere on this list also

One thing im sure is IM never bored here for something to fish for, only time im bored is when im not fishing

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club

Last edited by hammer4reel; 01-31-2012 at 05:07 PM..
Old 01-31-2012, 05:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: FAVORITE FISH to catch and why

Oh we do have grouper up here Danny.. you just got find em!

How's dat for a double header...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grouper Tile.JPG
Views:	811
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	45188  
Supporter SSFFF
Founder & President FGGF
Old 01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Caught a lot of different fish over the years. I'm not into meat fishing so much anymore.... For me it's more about quality, not quantity. For that reason, I would say billfish and Tarpon for the excitement and Blackfish for the challenge/reward.

I like billfish and Tarpon because there's nothing more exciting then seeing a fish jump clear out of the water making every possible effort to part you from from your hook and line. The whole while your clicker is sceaming like and old alarm clock and for a bonus you're fishing in shorts and a t-shirt. Man, that's living!

I like Blackfishing because of the challenge. IMHO, unlike a lot of other fishing, it requires more patience and skill, which are two areas where I could use some work. Searching for and anchoring the boat over the right piece, waiting for the right bite. Guessing and 2nd guessing yourself when to swing and when not to. Legs on legs off... Shell on shell off it's all part of the game with the cunning Mr Blackfish. Only parts I don't like are the cold and having to stand at the rail all day. However, the challenge and sense of accomplishment when you get it right is what makes it addictive and keeps me coming back. It's me against them, those FARGIN BASTAGES

Thanks for lightening things up around here Dan. Reading this board the past couple of days was making me tense.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 01-31-2012 at 06:13 PM..
Old 01-31-2012, 06:14 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: FAVORITE FISH to catch and why

hmmmmm

Its hard to say wat my favorite fish to catch is.. i guess id have a few favorites to catch..

Love to jig fish for monster fluke wit light tackle!

Who doesnt enjoy going out for a bluefish slaying every once and a while!

Love to tautog fish and the other surprizes u pull in while fishing for them!

Along wit everyone else here i get striper fever!! once there around all i want to do is get a chance to hook into a monster!!

I will fish for any thing.. if there biting im in!!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hmmmmmm........I'm going to go with Blackfish.

-They're a challenge to catch
-Hard fighting fish
-Great eating

Striper is Very Very Close...Especially when it comes to livelining!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Stripers from the surf,you could fish all day or night and that one fish makes it worthwhile.Then comes fall/winter trout,the solitude of fishing a stream.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm with Ray on this one. the challenge of catching big tog is very rewarding to me.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I used to be a striper addict, Im now hooked on toggin. I like getting into a lights out chew when they smash the crab right after it hits the bottom. I think the fact I haven't figure it out yet is part of it too.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

bluefish where what started my love for fishing at a very young age and will always be close to my heart, but i would have to say false albacore.me not being a meat fisherman, whats not to love? they fight like hell, you dont need to go miles off shore for them, you can catch them on light tackle, even when they are blitzing everywhere they can still be a challange so they are always an accomplishment , and it is all cast and reterive fishing at high speeds so it never gets boring.

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpys Tackle
Hmmmmmm........I'm going to go with Blackfish.

-They're a challenge to catch
-Hard fighting fish
-Great eating
Striper is Very Very Close...Especially when it comes to livelining!
overrated but they are my fave to catch just they taste like cardboard

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears