NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

These are the summer flounder measures approved by the ASMFC Board for 2012 - Page 6 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:02 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: These are the summer flounder measures approved by the ASMFC Board for 2012

This to me is a no brainer, I'm a six pack guy when the last time u and yours fishing buddy's caught 8 fish each. 30 fluke is a great day!!!!!
Old 02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
Banned

Default Re: These are the summer flounder measures approved by the ASMFC Board for 2012

Few people will limit with the 18" size and a lot of big throwbacks are going to become crab food. I don't know about you but 8 fish is a lot. I would be happy with 6 fish AT 17 INCHES.

Even better?

6 fish total, 3 18" or better, 2 between 16"-18" and 1 fish over 24".

Save the perfectly filet-able, edible 16-18in. crab food, a shot at 3 nice big fluke and a shot at keeping a real whopper while encouraging the release of big breeder females.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION: Under the rules stated above would you as an angler:

A) Release more big fluke (in non-tournament/pool situations) if you already had some meat in the box, especially your 2 slot fish?

B)Release "bigger" fluke (fish that would be the one over 24" but not true doormat size) in the hopes of catching a bigger fish?

C)Kill 'em all.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't need to keep 16-18" fluke as there is really not all that much meat on them. I target much larger fluke and prefer to be able to fish for them into October. While I commend those who release the really large fluke, I like to keep them.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky4711
This to me is a no brainer, I'm a six pack guy when the last time u and yours fishing buddy's caught 8 fish each. 30 fluke is a great day!!!!!
Sparky,

Not tooting my own horn here but we had quite a few days where we had 30+ keepers last summer. Yeah it takes long days but we did it to them when everything was right.

In regards to the question posed here, I'm really torn as to what I want and what I want for my customers. Lowering the minimum size a half inch will probably get us even more keepers, but as always we'd be tossing back loads of 17.499999" fish that are a hair short as we do when we are throwing back the 17.99999" fish that we've tossed back the last few years.

Losing three fish to the bag limit while gaining back a half inch sorta seems like a bit of a stalemate as you are gaining a little in regards to WHAT you can keep, but are losing out on how many fish you can take home. If we give up those 3 fish, it's a sacrifice we're making and we are literally giving up those three fish we may never get back.

To me the debate over the LENGTH of the season is also a tough one. In the last 10 years, with the exception of a season or two, we've had fluke to be caught in September (when it was opened through the month). Usually a late summer Noreaster or as was the case last year, a hurricane will chase the fluke out of our area and for all intents and purposes end the season well before October 1. BUT, with draconian measures being put on seabass and tog we will have little to fish for in "early fall" and having fluke available, at least as a target, can get some bodies on the boats and keep people excited about fishing until bass get back in town and tog/seabass reopens.

So with that said, I think option #4 is probably the best bet for me and my business (the only 17.5" option that I LIKE is #7), but I can see the 17.5" option working well for boats that fish in the bays (both D-Bay and R-Bay) and for the party boats who can probably get a few more fares with a lowered size limit.

Just my $.02
Old 02-14-2012, 12:08 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'll "weigh" in and go with #4. Unless the tuna run stays later into the season, at least having the chance to get out for a late season fluke would be appreciated. Sounded like quite a few fluke caught after the season this year even with the big storm blowing it all to heck. The half inch on the fish is not going to make the difference in most cases. As allen said, they will miss by that one tenth of an inch under 17.5 vs 18. And, at least then as I did this past year in a few instances, can limit out with a higher number of nice sized fish. There seemed to be plenty this year.....
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

[QUOTE=SaltyAngler]Not sure if this is the real deal or not, but....

Salty, the regs stay at the previous years regs until they are officially changed. The change will come I believe next month, we will then be fishing under the new regs.
If there are no changes for any particular species the previous years regs are to be followed.

Last edited by Life's A Beach; 02-14-2012 at 04:46 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Indeed. I didn't notice the *

Didn't have my morning cup of coffee.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Longest Season Possible

GDubs-
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I expect the sea bass regulations to be more relaxed than last year but I will have a better idea tomorrow.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

May 1 - Oct 31