NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River??? - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River???

I've eaten cow nose rays but didn't care for the taste or texture. It's not the same as skate. I enjoy eating skate and often wonder why people throw them back. Not sure what the regs are regarding them but we hooked into a cow nose ray a few years ago around Chincoteague Va. Of course it was hooked up on a fluke pole with 12lb test on it, isn't it always the way. So after about 45 minutes of backing down on it and having a stupid good time we did manage to boat it. I was in my 18ft runabout "Biff 2" with my sons so it was all fun. Was about 4ft wingspan. Wacked it with the shark hammer and brought it home. The meat on the wings has definite fibrous structure running the length of the wings. We cooked it real careful so as to really give it an honest try. We didn't like it, kinda chewy with a strong taste. Not really a "fishy" taste but a strong taste. And that's what I know about eating cow nose rays. Give em a try, maybe you'll like em. and they are going to wipe out some other species....
Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchee
I caught a huge black ray - not cownose

last week off the beech from sandy hook

It had a long whiplike tail and must have been 75+ pounds
yup couple species of big True stingray's off NJ (not cow nosed),.. not terribly common but they are big! I saw one at the mud buoy in a chum slick as a kid that was monstrous, and another at 17 fathoms, and another that tried to eat a tuna jig first bounce off the bottom on the lump near the atlantic princess wreck..and one last summer on the flats on the north side of fire island inlet... they were all HUGE, all a very dark blackish color.. someone told me roughtail stingray
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I saw a small shark off the red church on monday!! I saw plenty of rays as well, but this definitely was no ray ...It had the color of a cobia , but looked way too long
Old 07-24-2013, 08:18 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Cow nosed Rays, they're everywhere now that the water warmed up..
saw some big ones on Sunday off Deal...
Old 07-26-2013, 11:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

These rays are still in the river and slowly migrating way way up. It's pretty crazy. I see them when I am driving my truck over the bridges. Just the sheer numbers of them are going to wipe out a lot of stuff! No good.

Is there really no use for these fish? You know how they are trying to control the Lionfish population in Florida and the Gulf??? Maybe these rays are going to be our Lionfish.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skolmann
Cow Nose Rays. You mistook the tips of their wings for the dorsal fin(s) of a shark.
Yup....Cow Nosed Rays...watch 'em from my balcony everyday...all day....they eat the clams up like peanuts...clammers should be worried! Big problem south of us...especially Cheasepeake Bay...they're trying a few things to get rid of 'em!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

eat em! anythings good fried

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears