NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Cast net advice.. - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 02-26-2017, 12:19 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Cast net advice..

Is a cheap cast/throw net ok for bunker/ peanut bunker?... I have no live well, and am not worried about "live bait".. Just want fresh dead peanuts on ice for fluke fishing that don't stink and rot away to nothing as soon as they thaw out like the frozen ones do.. I see them on ebay for about $30 made/imported by south Bend.

Something like this ok for a few dozen peanuts near the harbors?/... Never used one, but would like to start instead of spending $25 on half rotten frozen bait when I go for fluke on my own boat.. bob
Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Cast net advice..

Should be fine for peanuts to 6" baits. I don't think I'd throw a cheap one at adults though. May not hold up if you bite off more than you can chew.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigman13 View Post
Should be fine for peanuts to 6" baits. I don't think I'd throw a cheap one at adults though. May not hold up if you bite off more than you can chew.
If I get the chance to do any run and gun striper fishing this year, with full size bunker, I would snag as I go.. More concerned about getting fresh peanuts for fluke.. Whats the learning curve to using this type of net?... I am fairly well coordinated, and not spastic, but I AM soon to be 63, and not as fit as i was 25 years ago.. will I be making a tangled mess first few casts?... bob
Old 02-26-2017, 05:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm no expert AT ALL. But there are YouTube how tos. I used to practice throwing around an old car tire from a slightly elevated surface. It amazes me how some guys throw the big nets. Def an admirable skill set.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:47 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

There are plenty of YouTube videos you can watch before trying it out.... make sure you watch videos using a similar size net. Trying to throw a 6 foot net with the technique a 10 foot net requires may not go well.

That being said, there are several different techniques used to get the same result; you'll find one that works for you and it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to get it consistently. I always practice right on the lawn every early spring as a refresher.

I definitely would watch some videos before trying though, if it is totally new to you...
Old 02-26-2017, 06:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thanks guys.. I will get the net and then practice.. I have some creeks around here to get freshwater bait as well.. its a fortune up here for minnows ....bob
Old 02-27-2017, 11:54 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

If you want a net specifically for adult bunker, there are 2 things you need to look for. It needs to have a minimum of 1 inch mesh and 15 pounds of weight. The combination of the larger mesh and heavier weight allows it to sink faster.

You need this for adult bunker since they move a lot faster then peanuts and they are usually in deeper water.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-27-2017, 12:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
If you want a net specifically for adult bunker, there are 2 things you need to look for. It needs to have a minimum of 1 inch mesh and 15 pounds of weight. The combination of the larger mesh and heavier weight allows it to sink faster.

You need this for adult bunker since they move a lot faster then peanuts and they are usually in deeper water.
No Gerry, more interested in "fluke size" bait than adult bunker... If i get a chance this spring/early summer to fish bunker for stripers, I would just snag and drop.. I am not set up to keep big bunker alive... bob
Old 02-27-2017, 07:59 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I dont like throwing a full size net for peanuts because you catch WAY more than you need in one throw.
If your not sure your going to get a net to open, the fitec 5 0r 6 foot with the throw ring is hard to beat.
A throw or two and you have all you will need for a day of fishing.
they throw super easy, and store in a small bucket
and can be thrown in much tighter areas than a 10 footer

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-28-2017, 08:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Percy nets in NY. He won't let you leave his yard til you can throw it perfectly!!!! High quality as well!!!