NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Mackerel? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Mackerel?

I'm considering going out on the Big Jamaica on Monday for their mackerel trip, but i've never targeted them before. Has anyone hopped on one of these trips? I'm thinking medium sized metals would be good, and i have an 8ft MH rod that should be able to take them. My only worry is my rod and reel are kinda a POS, and I'm worried it might crap out on me. I know they have rental rods i could use as a backup, but I'm not very confident in casting metals out with a conventional reel, always been more of a freshwater/spinning guy so i'm a bit out of my comfort zone.

I hear the fishery is struggling and is nowhere close to what is had been in past years, but I'd love to hear if anyone has caught them recently. I'm trying to decide if i should do this trip or join up with some other NJF guys on the ice. Any tips or advice are appreciated! Tight Lines!
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Mackerel?

Conventional gear is best. Also be using a mackeral rig. Basically a rig made up of 4 or 5 teaser. Most tackle shops sell the. Like an over sized saiki rig. You can use metal jigs for weight or just bank sinkers
Old 01-17-2019, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This is typically a drop & jig fishery. Pick up some mackerel rigs & diamond jigs from a Sponsor Tackle Shop. Medium conventional set-up should be fine.
You usually do not need to cast far from boat. They will drift over the fish.
Good Luck
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Better off going ice fishing. In my opinion winter mackeral are loaded with fat. The spring run is better for eating.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:45 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

You can catch mackerel on any tackle.. A rental rod is fine, but even a fairly solid freshwater rod will catch them without issues, if you don't mind catching 1 or 2 at a time... A boat rod will allow you to drop a jig with 3 teasers above it, and yes you can catch 3 or 4 at a time with no problem, IF they are around, which is not usually the case these days...
Plain old Mr Twisters are fine as teasers, and will get hit readily.. Personally I like plain old mackerel rigs with small pieces of stiff surgical tubing on the hooks as they are tough as nails.. Any salt water tackle store should have them. i would use a 4 oz. AVA jig as weight below the rig..

All you do is drop it down, and you can jig it in place, reel it, or even leave it right in the zone without moving it, and they will be all over it... IF they are there!.. Thats the issue these days.. Not tackle, not boats, not pressure, etc.. the fish just aren't there any more, at least not in any numbers.
However, if anyone can find them, the Bogan fleet certainly can.. good luck, let us know how you make out... bob
Old 01-17-2019, 10:59 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Be prepared you might be hauling up dogfish. They seem to be in the mix with the macks.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If mackeral are really being caught I'm there!

I love a freezer full of bait, and a few for the smoker.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

thanks for all the tips! I didn't realize this was a drop and jig type of fishery. I'm really considering doing this trip.

Has anyone gone on one recently? From reading past threads it seems like people have done very well with them this time of year, but in recent years not so much. Just wondering if the risk will be worth the reward. Might go either way just to get out on the water for a day!
Old 01-17-2019, 12:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
thanks for all the tips! I didn't realize this was a drop and jig type of fishery. I'm really considering doing this trip.

Has anyone gone on one recently? From reading past threads it seems like people have done very well with them this time of year, but in recent years not so much. Just wondering if the risk will be worth the reward. Might go either way just to get out on the water for a day!
A few Sheepshead Bay boats got into them a few days ago, so they are in the area, and certainly within reach of the central NJ boats.. however, these days its a crap shoot and they may or may not be around when the fishing starts.. Just don't have the massive schools anymore, that we had for so many decades.
However, if they are around , the captain will find them... bob
Old 01-17-2019, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

A 3 or 4 teaser mackerel rig with a Bridgeport diamond jig (4/5oz.) should work well for you. Don't be afraid to move around the boat, sometimes they catch only on one side of the boat.....