NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Rig Question - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-21-2017, 07:28 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Fluke Rig Question

Hey all,

Novice saltwater fisherman here and had quick question on fluke rig I will be using on party boats. I am using braided line and bought a few of those pre tied fluke rigs with the pink and green squid skirts around the hook. I am running my braided line to a barrel swivel. From there I tied on an additional 14-16" of 20lb mono with a dropper loop/baitholder hook attached. That is then attached to the rig I bought with the three way swivel where the weight is. Just want to know if I tied this correctly. I attached a photo below, tough to see but hopefully that helps. Any feedback appreciated. Sorry photo is sideways for some reason.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7010.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	111912  
Old 06-21-2017, 09:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fluke Rig Question

Ok you want to get the end of your braid and attach it to a small section of top shot. I use 30# mono for about 10 feet or less. Now i use the Albright knot to attach the 2 lines together there are many different ones. Youtube has the videos to walk your through the knots. Now you are left with the mono top sot and you can tie the 3-way right to that. I hope that makes sense. If it was me id ditch the dropper loop before the rig. Some might fish like that but i dont. Its a pain and gets tangled in the net 2x as bad.

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:29 PM
NJFishing.com Member

SaltLife,

If I didn't tie the 10' of mono to my braid, is it alright to tie braid to barrel swivel, then have 18" of 20lb mono leading to the three way swivel? Also, I hear what you're saying about the dropper loop with hook. Someone suggested this to me so I wanted to give it a shot, but if it gets tangled I can always just take the hook off.

Thanks
Old 06-21-2017, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you run a barrel swivel from the braid to your mono you just have to be careful of not reeling the swivel into the top eye of the rod. I dont like this way bc if you gotta reel down to a fish and swing it you can only go so far before the swivel is in the tip and breaking your rod. But thats me. Some people fish different. I like there to be as little knots and terminal tackle as possible. So i just use the braid to the top shot to the 3-way. Dont have to use 30# either.

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Got it, thanks.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:52 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Great advice above from salt. Another rig which is very popular and easy to tie is the fish finder rig.

Run your braided line through a sinker slide, tie a barrel swivel directly to your braid. On the other end of the barrel tie and 18 to 24 inch shot of 30 pound mono and tie your hook to the end of that.

It allows you to do the old drop back... When a fish hits but you don't connect, let some line out. The sinker stays put and the fish can take some line without feeling the weight of the sinker.

The rig looks like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0738.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	111914  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 06-21-2017, 10:59 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Thanks Gerry,

I have fished the rig your referred to in the past and it worked well. Being that I already pre-tied a few of the rigs that I have pictured above, do you think I'll be alright with that? Not sure if you have ever seen anyone tie a teaser above one of those fin strike rigs before. I'll make sure to pick up a few fish finders as well just in case I need to switch over to something I know will work.

Thanks