NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Too low to stock? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-10-2012, 08:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Too low to stock?

When it comes to stocking the brooks and creeks around the state, when do you suppose the NJDFW will see the same thing most of us already know? The little brooks are just too low. Who decides to halt stocking what amounts to trickles and not flows. Some of the small brooks that are scheduled for stocking again next week only have inches of water in them now. In my opinion, it would be a waste of a tremendous resource to stock 10 to 12 inch trout in water that is more suited for minnows. Usually these little waterways are not stocked after the second or third week because it's then that the water gets too low or too warm with dipleated oxygen levels. Those conditions are with us now. There are some brooks that simply should not be stocked with trout if they are too low. That's just my opinion. Those fish might be better spent if they are stocked in major waterways instead or maybe the amount of fish that go into the brooks can be cut back.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:34 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Too low to stock?

I've been thinking the same thing. I didn't bother to get a trout stamp yet since there is no spring runoff from the north. The reservoirs and streams around me are super low. It's getting scary
Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: Too low to stock?

Yes the creeks and even the rivers are super low for this time of year. If we don't get some real amount of rain this year and with these warmer temps we could be into a bad drought this year! If a stream is too low... they shouldn't stock... its a waste!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If they don't stock the streams, where will they put the trout? The hatchery can't simply hold on to them indefinitely.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Uhhhhhh........If they decided not to stock........someone would wine about that. Water temps are just fine........Most of the areas are Put and Take fisheries anyway.

Shut up and fish...
Old 04-11-2012, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would think that F&G if not enough flow in the smaller streams and brooks would not stock them and put the fish in the major impoundments and streams and rivers still holding water,: Musky, Pequest,Flatbook, Paulinskill etc.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Well as stated its a put and take fishery there going as they should stock the places that were supposed to be people paid for a stamp and expect to fish where they want even if theres very little water
Old 04-11-2012, 11:19 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Knowing from experience.. and stocking the waters.. if the feeder streams are too low... they will not stock them/partially stock and allocate those fish into the lakes or bigger streams.

Sometimes, its communicated through the chain when they are filling the truck at the hatchery or sometimes its a gametime decision when they get to the brook.

In past yrs, I have stocked smaller brooks only to see the outflows werent condusive to stock.

Most times when the smaller brooks are being stocked, they also have lakes to do on that run. Sometimes they decide only a fraction of what is suppose to go into the stream and decide to put more into the schedule lake stock.

Remember - the headliner streams that get stocked every week is allocated a truck for that run

When the smaller streams are being stocked, its usually several smallers stream and one or two lakes that the truck will be stocking.

They have a number for how much should go into each brook and lake. So if small stream A - gets 650 fish and its too low.. they may stock only 300 and the other 350 fish may go into the lake.

They will continue to stock the streams in low waters becuase water temps are accurate..

You would be suprised, with the stream being so low, those fish will seek deeper pools and possibly travel to bigger outflows.

If they decide not to stock streams, they will put an alert on the website.

Pops is stocking the flatbrook on friday.