NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Meeting/Why We Should Support a Longer Season - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fluke Meeting/Why We Should Support a Longer Season

Thanks for all the hard work you put into this Paul.. We really appreciate it. I'm going to try my best to make it (Tax day for me!) representing Grumpys Tackle. We're all for the longer season and 18" size limit.

----To all NJfishing members and friends----

Please let all your fishing buds know about this and tell them to try to make it Thursday. A longer season would not only help the fisherman but also the Bait Tackle Stores and Party/Charter boats. We need the longer season point blank!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoWorries
plus we are very close to having rebuilt this fishery. Personally my I only log 18" keepers and haven't tracked shorts.
Ummm The stock has been rebuilt for 4 years already maybe 5. This crap they are pulling now is all about politics not about the fluke.

When the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act was imposed and a finite time frame to rebuild fluke stocks that have fell to a record low was implemented, they gave themselves a 10 year time frame starting in 2000. IMHO by 2007 the stock was rebuilt but to them they still needed more, so the kept this charade going and then said well we will not make the 10 year deadline so lets impose stricter laws.

These people are idiots and if you think for one second the fluke stock isn't rebuilt, you need to go fluking more often.

This isn't about the stocks any longer it is like I have stated before about politics...
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I don't know about anyone else. now. i voted for the 18 inch size limit.

but I saw someone say a split season. I think that can work for all parties. say from early April you can keep 2-3 fluke per day (i think 1 is a little light) at 18 or 17 1/2 inches

then starting early May and going through mid October lets say 15-16-17 for arguments sake your allowed 6-7 fish PD, PP at 18''

everyone wins! a little confusing for the average guy??........ maybe but many people have already stated (screw the 3-4 time a year guy) so this way you have you fluke for almost an extra month. and all you give up is 1 or 2 fish on the bag limit during the main season. I think that is something that everyone could live with. 12 or 14 fillets to take home if you limit........ and you get to fish for the jersey favorite during most of April and you still have a legit shot to get a real doormat.

tackle shops sell fluke rigs and bait and bucktails for an extra month almost and party boats could sail special fluke trips during the week instead of targeting Stripers or bottom species only. and we all know that when fluke opens a different clientele starts to fish on a more regular basis.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:19 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thank you Paul for your hard work. I agree with you 100%. I will be in attendance at this meeting and hopefully can thank you personally.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

While i agree with most of what angler paul is saying i think we should take into account that problably 80% of the people fishing for fluke are not really good at it.These people are moms and dads with their kids,boyfreinds,girlfreinds,grandpop,company charters,rental boaters etc.Having a 5 fish limit @ 17.5inches would a least give all these people a shot at bringing home a meal or two or seeing a smile on a kids face.For us in the other 20% we know you have to go to the rough stuff to have chance of getting a limit of 18 inch fish.If you go on a party boat who do you think is catching the most and the biggest fish its the guys in the bow with their custom rods and reels and tackle boxes full of jigs while the regular fares are catching shorts or nothing at all.The party boat captains are not going to take a boatload of rookies to the rattlesnake even know they know thats where the keepers are.We in the 20% fish more often and are alot better at it so having enough fluke fillets is usually not a problem.I hope we just dont think about ourselves but take everbody into account.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by team heat
While i agree with most of what angler paul is saying i think we should take into account that problably 80% of the people fishing for fluke are not really good at it.These people are moms and dads with their kids,boyfreinds,girlfreinds,grandpop,company charters,rental boaters etc.Having a 5 fish limit @ 17.5inches would a least give all these people a shot at bringing home a meal or two or seeing a smile on a kids face.For us in the other 20% we know you have to go to the rough stuff to have chance of getting a limit of 18 inch fish.If you go on a party boat who do you think is catching the most and the biggest fish its the guys in the bow with their custom rods and reels and tackle boxes full of jigs while the regular fares are catching shorts or nothing at all.The party boat captains are not going to take a boatload of rookies to the rattlesnake even know they know thats where the keepers are.We in the 20% fish more often and are alot better at it so having enough fluke fillets is usually not a problem.I hope we just dont think about ourselves but take everbody into account.
Couldn't agree more. And for what its worth, I also like the longer season 18" option if that's what it comes down to. I think every option is decent.... Except for #6.

Last edited by Chris G; 02-27-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Old 02-27-2012, 07:15 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If you GIVE BACK FISH...... YOU WILL NEVER GET THEM BACK.....

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club

dey eats my baits... I eats dem club

Member of the Monger Nation

PLANT ICE .... HARVEST WIND...JUST SAYING
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

4PM Meeting? Sorry, want to be there but must also work and that's an hour plus away. Voice for me, 18" and longer season......
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken bobber
If you GIVE BACK FISH...... YOU WILL NEVER GET THEM BACK.....

Not for nothing NY upped the bag and lowered the size limit.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird
Not for nothing NY upped the bag and lowered the size limit.
hahaha yea they went from 3 fish to 4..... huge get back..... 4 fish limit in NJ will KILL the recreational industry

here were the coastal regs years back

'93. Six fish, 14", 5/15-9/30
'94. Eight fish, 14", 4/15-10/15
'95. Eight fish, 14", open season
'96 Ten fish, 14", open season
'97. Eight fish, 14.5", open season
'98. Eight fish, 15", open season
'99. Eight fish, 15", 5/29-9/11
'00. Eight fish, 15.5", 5/10-10/02
'01. Three fish, 15.5", 4/15-10/15

[B][COLOR="Red"]GODS SPEED MY BROTHER... LIFES A BEACH

Proud member of the 52lb on The Wall Club