NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Kayak Recommendations - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Kayak Recommendations

I'm looking into buying a fishing kayak. I'm pretty certain I want a 12' sit-on-top version; I need the extra stability as a 270 lb fattie. Anybody have any recommendations for a brand/model? I will also need to buy a car-top rack for it. Any suggestions for accessories, besides paddle, life jacket, and (maybe) fish finder? I plan to be doing mostly river and small lake fishing. I have a $1,500 budget to work with (for everything). I'd appreciate any advice, since I have never even sat in a kayak before.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 01-05-2019, 07:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Kayak Recommendations

Hobie! I have a Revolution 13 but you might want to check out the outback since it’s more stable and you won’t be cutting through any ocean surf or chop. The new pro angler is very sweet looking but I wouldn’t want to try to put that on a roof solo. If you have a truck or trailer that’s a freshwater beast!

As far as accessories all you need is a roof rack. I never bought any of the kayak specific rack accessories, just put the kayak upside down and use a few ratchet straps. I use a lowrance fishfinder/gps and it’s great.

If you have any questions don’t hesitate to reach out.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 01-06-2019, 06:28 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would look for a used wilderness radar 135 or ride 135. I am also on the large side and sold my Hobie and found much better stability in the wilderness. Jackson just came out with the bite, which is a no frills fishing kayak. I would definitely check craigs list and look used.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Definitely go used and water test them. You will get some of the accessories with the sale. A bunch of fishing kayaks up on CL.

If you insist on new some of the retailers have demos you can check out. Ramsey outdoor in ledgewood is an example.

The biggest thing as a fellow big guy for me is seat comfort. Not much fun having a case of dead ass and being numb in the back side and legs. Had a sit in that my legs would go numb after an hour.

I bought a 10’ Vibe yellowfin sot off CL last year ($500) and love it. Can sit on that thing all day. Bought it as a no thrills throw and go option for when I don’t want to deal with the boat.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Yea I think Ramsey outdoor has kayaks on Haledon Resevoir in the summer time. I know they do rentals but I’m sure you can test ride a specific model if you need to.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have an ocean kayak Prowler big game 2 I'll sell you for a good price. 12 ft & holds 600 lbs. Same one I use and I weigh 350. Has lots of track gear, super nova led lights, rudder, USB ports , ect, message mr on face book @ John Vojt or Instagram @ jv_kayak_fishing_nj
Old 01-15-2019, 02:20 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I have a lifetime tamarack 10' (aka the walmart special). I believe they make a 12' verison too. for the price, it simply cant be beat. On it's maiden voyage i took it out on round valley on a whitecap day. Super windy, decent sized waves. I got wet but didnt lose any gear and felt stable the whole time. Got the Kayak as a gift from my lady, but she only paid $235 for it. Your budget is a lot bigger though, so there might be something else for you, but with one of these there is a ton of room in the budget for accessories. My 2 cents!

Whatever you get, enjoy it! This was my first year as a kayak angler and it really opened up a lot of water to me.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:24 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I’ve had the Cobra fish-n-dive for almost a decade, no rudder or shite, put in a ff/gps... can kneel or stand up and pee... that is all...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 01-16-2019, 11:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

with a budget of 1500 you can definitely get a decently new hobie outback. troll craigslist, letgo and all the facebook pages. you don't need a "rack", all you need are crossbars. throw it on the crossbars upside down and strap it down. IMO it would be foolish for you to buy something new, spend 1500 and still have to paddle.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would definitely go used because you will likely find a fully outfitted (depth finder, rod holders, anchor, etc) out kayak for less than you would pay for a new one.

Some good ones that should come in under $1,000 are:

Perception Pescador Pro
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13
Riot Escape 12
Emotion Grand Slam Angler
Vibe Sea Ghost Angler 130

Definitely go longer than shorter, no less than 11 feet. It will be faster. if you shop around for used you could also probably bag a fully outfitted Hobie Mirage drive, Old Town Predator or Jackson Kilroy for about $1,500.