NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River??? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Tons of Sharks in the Shrewsbury River???

It was a VERY interesting morning! Left at 5:30 home by 8:30.* Me and one other guy.* We caught tons of fluke (mostly shorts), one beautiful weakfish!, scooped a bunch of big crabs that were just swimming on the surface and we had a very interesting encounter. . .
We swore that we were seeing small SHARKS all morning long.* Dorsal fins were popping up everywhere and occasionally we would see an attack and a huge splash! I thought I was going crazy. So we made an attempt to catch one by tossing a plug right in front of the fins. . .
No takes. Several close shots but no bites.* Later, on our way back in some guys crabbing asked us if we have been seeing sharks!* Then in the distance we saw the motherload.* In like 3 feet of water there were schools of them in the hundreds all over. Breaking water and finning.* I threw a big treble hook on my line and we headed over to have a look. . .
I tossed it in and immediately hooked up and line started peeling off the reel!* Others were breaking water and swirling and splashing all around us in the shallows. After** a 10 minute battle with a tiny rod and 10 pound test line, we landed our fish.* It wasn't a shark! But I think I solved the mystery of why there have been no blue crabs in the river this season. . . What's YOUR guess?