NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Trout Spinning Tactic Questions - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Trout Spinning Tactic Questions

Hi All!

I'm starting to get into the groove of this trout thing, and I was wondering if anyone can share their experiences or tips with certain tactics while using spinning gear. I have had luck so far with CD03s, but I am a one trick pony.

Fly & Bobber:

I have read a lot about using flies on a long leader followed by a weighted (or not) clear float filled with water. I get the premise, but it seems to make a lot of noise when the heavy bobber hits the water. Also, the bobber moves up the line and looks unnatural. Anyone have any luck doing something like this?

Jigging:

I tried using micro jigs to "bounce" off of the bottom while moving downstream, and swinging into target lies. I seem to get snagged more than anything else, and haven't had much success when using a float.

Worms:

I tried drifting some butter worms and blown nightcrawlers. I run into the same challenges as with the jigs. Any tips to get them to bounce while not having to use a float?

Thanks in advance, and thanks to all those that have already shared. It has taught me a lot!

:Cheers:
Old 04-13-2015, 04:34 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Trout Spinning Tactic Questions

There's nothing wrong with being a one trick pony! When u develop a technique with a particular lure let's say CD 3 certainly will catch trout of all sizes if u learn how to run this lure !
It's the same with other lures of choice for trout , learn to fish what in various water conditions sometimes this just means using a float version of A plug in shallow water or the CD in faster riff water.
I fish two lures year round just vary sizes to commensurate with water conditions.
If ur a beginner then I would stick to lures that R easier to fish if u don't wish to use bait. My choices would be a spinner & plug as described .
Or u can opt out of lures & use bait like many anglers do & catch very well. The choice is really up to u , however in my opinion lures will outfish bait if used properly !
Good luck !
Old 04-14-2015, 08:22 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: Trout Spinning Tactic Questions

Might wanna try some Rooster Tail spinners. They work great. I have had best results with 1/8 oz with copper color blades. Also use the lightest line possible. I use 4 lb test and sometimes 2 lb test with a ultra lite spinning pole and reel. Good luck !!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I bend the shaft on spinners inline and just below the eye at about 60 degrees to make them center weighted which reduces line twist. This way I do not need to use a swivel when fishing them.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:27 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Rod sensitivity, line, and the amount of weight used plays a crucial role in both jig fishing and bait fishing on the rivers. I like a 6'0-7'0 ft rod w a fast tip and some backbone to set the hook. Water depth and speed of flow are also things to consider. The heaviest jig that I'll fish is 3/32 oz, often tossing 1/16 oz. All colors work just as long as it's black! With bait, use the least amount of shot you can get away with to keep your presentation down and naturally flowing downstream. If you're snagging, you're using too much. Maintain contact with your lead as you drift your bait, too. Small lifts to tick the bottom will help to avoid snags and also help you feel the takes.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:04 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

What size split shots are you using with the butterworms? I like to use a size B split shot about 12" above the hook. If I need to fish deeper I will put another another B split shot above about an inch above the first one. I find that they do not snag as easily, compared to using a bigger split shot.

If you are fishing clear water, I recommend giving the Trout magnet flurorocarbon leader a shot. I typically tie about 4 feet to the end of my mono and I find that get a lot more hits that way. This is regardless of whether or not I am using bait or lures.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

F5 Rapalas, every large trout I've caught has been on a Rapala.