NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It? - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

View Poll Results: Would you release it?
Yes 74 64.91%
No 16 14.04%
Not sure, will decide after I land it 24 21.05%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-22-2014, 05:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 50 Pound Bass - Would You Release It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
Block party PHILLY style

That's funny!

Personal boat? I would pic and release, tourney or party boat pool entry? Tough to call. Would at least donate fish to a need so at leaset some good from the outcome.
Supporter and Member of RFA/NJ
IGFA Member
www.sharkbite-bucktails.com
Old 05-22-2014, 09:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Release it , I'm sure there r more than enough photo ops to justify UR catch!
Snag & drop fishing should be limited this time of season so most fish can released cleanly .
Old 05-22-2014, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If I was surf fishing I would keep it. If I was running my own boat and caught it I would keep it. If I was a passenger on a friends boat, or on a party/charter boat I would probably let it go. A surf caught 50 lb is the fish of my dreams.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Always said I would... But I guess it would depend on the circumstances
Old 05-22-2014, 12:30 PM
dakota560

I look at it in somewhat the same way that Gerry mentioned about his 40 lb release. Keeping it and bringing it back to the dock will give you 24 hours of glory and bragging rights. Releasing a true trophy fish of that size will be a lifetime memory. Grilling a fish of a lifetime isn't a fitting ending and they aren't nearly as tasty as the smaller bass. Chances are if you release that fish you'll still catch your limit for the day based on the health of the current fishery so you'll still have enough for the table. You can almost be guaranteed that a 50lb bass was caught and released at least a few times before attaining that size and if she wasn't released along the way you wouldn't have had the chance of catching a fish of a lifetime. Something to think about if and when faced with that decision. Not bad to pass that same opportunity on to another angler, maybe even your son one day.

To me it doesn't make any sense keeping a trophy bass even for a mount as replica molds are better and longer lasting. Take a picture and measurements and let her go. Unless the fish is gut hooked or can't be revived, let someone else have the chance of experiencing the thrill of a life time. As someone else mentioned, if it was a tournament situation, that adds another factor but seeing a trophy fish swim away to fight another day is something that's hard to put a price on.

Dakota