NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

hook and line commercial- a viable option? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default hook and line commercial- a viable option?

Just wondering.. It would seem to me that if commercial fishing was more or less confined to rod and reel , prices for product would go through the roof.
Prices for gear would go down, fish stocks would go way up, as bycatch mortality of juveniles and non targets would be eliminated..
I dunno, I realize thats an overly simplistic estimation,but if you think about it, it would benefit everyone.. Some netting allowances would have to be made for some pelagics of course like herring or bunker, but bottom feeding desirable food fish, like various flounders, Sea Bass, scup ,cod, Cod family such as hake species, haddock, Pollock etc, would rebound big time, the bottom would heal, and prices for these premium "eating species, would go through the ceiling.. It would expand the market for farm raised fish as well, as they would be more in demand because of the much cheaper price.. I know, ridiculous premise, but I always thought that it would benefit commercial guys a lot more than they realize..
look at shrimp.. Its majority farm raised thats for sale in our area, and no one complains, they just buy it when they want shrimp.. You CAN get "real" Gulf shrimp if you want to pay the big price, and some do, but the farm raised stuff gets most of the play these days..
I think the same thing would happen with fish.. The value of ocean bottom fish would go way up, and licensed commercials would have a very valuable commodity thats always there in good numbers... Just a thought... bob
Old 02-17-2017, 11:14 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: hook and line commercial- a viable option?

Hook and line (not long line) is in my opinion the only sustainable way to harvest fish. Nets have gotten too big, sonar is too good, and dead discard are huge issues! The fish don't stand a chance, and bottom trawling destroys habitat. We need to wake up and figure out a way for recreational and commercial anglers harvest fish in a sustainable manner.

I have to laugh when species are labeled as sustainably harvested. Basically the powers at be are saying we aren't in danger of wiping this fish off the face of the planet yet, but the methods we are using to do it will change that in a few years.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Regulations can and do sometimes protect the little guy.
I think the local clammers are an example. The rules say you can't harvest mechanically, only by hand. That forces the fishery to stay small and local, prevents the widespread damage that large scale mechanical dredging would do and sustainability can be achieved while still providing jobs.

There are a few hook and line fluke permits still out there. I'm pretty sure they're never going to issue another but why? I think the quota could better serve us all if a portion was re-allocated to small time hook and line commercial fishing. Those fish would be harvested in a far more sustainable way than dragging.

Mind you I'm not saying we should take anything away from the recreational quota for this. Just an idea.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM
dakota560

BB....while I agree with your comments and concepts, the challenges to get there would make what we're dealing with in managing the fishery seem miniscule. Meaning MONEY, POWER, LOBBYING STRENGTH of commercial would represent a daunting challenge to put it mildly. I can just hear the politicians and lobbyists now "How dare you deprive my constituents from their ability to harvest a public resource and prevent them from supplying the growing demand of all the citizens of this great nations from being able to purchase a very healthy, nutritional and highly regarded fish at the market!" Agree with your thought process, just don't think we'll see it in our lifetime but good thought nonetheless. If operators can catch 5,000 lbs a week in the winter and grab $5 / lb. or $100,0000 gross a month these fish will be targeted and mostly females harvested based on market price conditions. Males and smaller females will become dead discard. Change the price volatility between size fish and the entire paradigm changes. If everything fetched the same price back at the docks, as soon as the daily quota was met guys would have no reason to drop their nets again. High grading / culling would effectively be eliminated.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

On a smaller scale, redistributing a % of comm quota to hook/line can be extremely viable in the NYC area. I'm thinking about the restaurant market in particular, the chefs who deal in local/organic/sustainable products and the clientele who support them. Bonus points if your hook and line operation learns how to properly brain-spike/bleed the catch (one reason top NYC sushi restaurants don't source locally but rather fly their fish in from Japan is bc they want guarantee that their fish went through ike-jime).

On a larger scale, how would hook and line guys compete with draggers? Probably an all or nothing proposition.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Years ago in Cape Cod before winter flounder was decimated by trawlers, hook and line fishermen would haul hundreds of lbs of flounder per tide. I am talking about two guys in a skiff going out 1/4 mile into the bay. They did that day after day, well into the summer and well into winter.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think that's one of the primary ways Red Snapper are harvested in the Gulf. They use bandit gear, but it's still hook and line.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Just wondering.. It would seem to me that if commercial fishing was more or less confined to rod and reel , prices for product would go through the roof.
Prices for gear would go down, fish stocks would go way up, as bycatch mortality of juveniles and non targets would be eliminated..
I dunno, I realize thats an overly simplistic estimation,but if you think about it, it would benefit everyone.. Some netting allowances would have to be made for some pelagics of course like herring or bunker, but bottom feeding desirable food fish, like various flounders, Sea Bass, scup ,cod, Cod family such as hake species, haddock, Pollock etc, would rebound big time, the bottom would heal, and prices for these premium "eating species, would go through the ceiling.. It would expand the market for farm raised fish as well, as they would be more in demand because of the much cheaper price.. I know, ridiculous premise, but I always thought that it would benefit commercial guys a lot more than they realize..
look at shrimp.. Its majority farm raised thats for sale in our area, and no one complains, they just buy it when they want shrimp.. You CAN get "real" Gulf shrimp if you want to pay the big price, and some do, but the farm raised stuff gets most of the play these days..
I think the same thing would happen with fish.. The value of ocean bottom fish would go way up, and licensed commercials would have a very valuable commodity thats always there in good numbers... Just a thought... bob
Just wondering.. It would seem to me that if digging a hole in the ground was more or less confined to a bunch of guys with shovels instead of one guy on a Case 580 backhoe with a few gallons of diesel fuel, prices for holes in the ground would go through the roof. It would benefit the backhoe guys a lot more than they realize...

Last edited by Blind Squirrel; 02-17-2017 at 09:20 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 09:26 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Squirrel View Post
Just wondering.. It would seem to me that if digging a hole in the ground was more or less confined to a bunch of guys with shovels instead of one guy on a Case 580 backhoe with a few gallons of diesel fuel, prices for holes in the ground would go through the roof. It would benefit the backhoe guys a lot more than they realize...
Reality check.....bad analogy........have you looked at the guys digging holes lately.........they usually don't have green cards and you can hire about 20 of them for the price of a case with an operator per hour......the price of digging holes goes down.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

This crew in New Hampshire is making a living by rod-and-reel groundfishing.

Read about them in a recent Portland Press-Herald article here: http://www.pressherald.com/2017/01/2...without-a-net/