NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fluke Regulations - So now what - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-04-2017, 01:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Fluke Regulations - So now what

Now that we got hosed by most of our neighbors at the ASMFC, what do we need to do?

First and foremost, take a broader look at why we are in this situation. The Magnuson-Stevens act is how we are regulated. This law, while perhaps well intended, is having terrible unintended consequences. The law needs to be repealed.

Please don't be foolish and believe the fisheries managers. The regulations for any fishery will never be relaxed with our current regulatory framework.

Look at seabass. The SSB is 130% of what it needs to be. The council just cut the recreational harvest by another 8%, while increasing commercial harvest by 50%+.

The porgy SSB is 200%+ of what it needs to be. The council just cut the bag limit from 50 to 15 fish. When asked why, the response was "because 50 fish is too much". Now, I would rather have a root canal than clean hundreds of porgies, but having the government dictate what is too much is a very slippery slope.

The entire regulatory framework needs to be completely revamped. The people who have been and are fighting this is the RFA.
If you are outraged at the entire fisheries management process I urge you to join with them in repealing the MSA.

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 02-06-2017 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 01:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: So now what

15 porgy this year? There's a billion of those out there.
Old 02-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttmako View Post
Now that we got hosed by most of our neighbors at the ASMFC, what do we need to do?

First and foremost, take a broader look at why we are in this situation. The Magnuson-Stevens act is how we are regulated. This law, while perhaps well intended, is having terrible unintended consequences. The law needs to be repealed.

Please don't be foolish and believe the fisheries managers. The regulations for any fishery will never be relaxed with our current regulatory framework.

Look at seabass. The SSB is 130% of what it needs to be. The council just cut the recreational harvest by another 8%, while increasing commercial harvest by 50%+.

The porgy SSB is 200%+ of what it needs to be. The council just cut the bag limit from 50 to 15 fish. When asked why, the response was "because 50 fish is too much". Now, I would rather have a root canal than clean hundreds of porgies, but having the government dictate what is too much is a very slippery slope.

The entire regulatory framework needs to be completely revamped. The people who have been and are fighting this is the RFA.
If you are outraged at the entire fisheries management process I urge you to join with them in repealing the MSA.
Exactly Tom!! Magnuson needs to have some flexibility and Fisheries Management needs to be sobered up and totally revamped.

Support the RFA for fighting the political side and the SSFFF which is trying to get better science introduced.

www.joinRFA.org
www.ssfff.org/id65.html

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-04-2017, 04:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I say we all become outlaws.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal427 View Post
I've been eating 16 inch fluke sashimi for years now. As they say in that old commercial "just do it".
Old 02-04-2017, 05:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigal427 View Post
How much is the fine if you are in possession of short fish? Cant be that much can it?

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:19 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I think it might be $200.00
Old 02-04-2017, 06:21 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

It is not over yet guys so lets not go nuclear here. There are still many wheels turning in this process before the final decision will be made.
If you have not contacted your representatives yet please do so, and please stay informed.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:53 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
It is not over yet guys so lets not go nuclear here. There are still many wheels turning in this process before the final decision will be made.
If you have not contacted your representatives yet please do so, and please stay informed.
Rather then the nuclear option we could have a Sunctuary option. If the Fed says we can only keep 3 @19 and our state wants status quo which is 5 @ 18.... The Govenor can choose not to enforce 3 @ 19 within the 3 mile line of our state and enforce 5 @ 18 instead....

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-04-2017, 07:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs down Re: So now what

Go to the NOAA site and read about Black Sea Bass. Stocks rebuilt, not over fished. So they cut our winter offshore sea bass fishing and lowered the limits, I'm so over saltwater fishing.