NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New to Bucktailing - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default New to Bucktailing

I wanted to try bucktailing for fluke this year and need a little help with my tackle. My fishing is done mostly from a private boat and occasionally from a party boat. I usually use 3 to 6 oz to hold bottom when bait fishing.

1. Line- I was going to use 30lb braid. I’m open to all suggestions including mono.
2. Leader – What size is recommended and is fluorocarbon worth it?
3. Rigs – Are dropper loops OK? I bought a couple of pre-made set ups in Somerset last week and they have a single line tied off the main leader with an ornate knot, the other end tied to the bucktail about 5 inches out. Sinker loop at the bottom.
4. Bucktails – Rigs I’ve seen in the past have 2 small bucktails about ½ oz each, is this a good size? JD
Old 03-25-2012, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: New to Bucktailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohawkJD
I wanted to try bucktailing for fluke this year and need a little help with my tackle. My fishing is done mostly from a private boat and occasionally from a party boat. I usually use 3 to 6 oz to hold bottom when bait fishing.

1. Line- I was going to use 30lb braid. I’m open to all suggestions including mono.
2. Leader – What size is recommended and is fluorocarbon worth it?
3. Rigs – Are dropper loops OK? I bought a couple of pre-made set ups in Somerset last week and they have a single line tied off the main leader with an ornate knot, the other end tied to the bucktail about 5 inches out. Sinker loop at the bottom.
4. Bucktails – Rigs I’ve seen in the past have 2 small bucktails about ½ oz each, is this a good size? JD
This rig usually works well:

30 lb braid (or lighter) topshotted with 40 lb mono (need some abrasion resistance here). Tie your bucktail (enough weight to hold bottom) to the bottom of the line. 12-18 inches up, make a dropper loop and put on your teaser. I like a 4/0-5/0 baitholder hook with one of those big gulp grubs. This setup works well out front. Make sure you get some bucktails from 3-6 oz minimum so you can hold the bottom and not tangle everyone up. Don't use a regular sinker, the fish won't bite that. Be sure to keep the bucktail moving so you don't get stuck in the bottom, that sucks.

I'm a total novice compared to many on this site here in terms of bucktailing, many of them have a lot more to share here.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

my favorite rig is, a 3 to 6 oz bucktrail for the ocean and a 1 to 1/2z bucktail for the bay tied on the bottom with a gulp swimming mullet, and a 1/2 oz bucktail tied above on a dropper loop about 18 inches above also with a gulp mullet.

1. Line- I only use braid it alllows you to use much less weight and feel the bottom much better which is essential for fluke.

2. Leader- , mono or floro dosent really matter really dont see a difference. I use 20 lb, alot of peopl;e disagree with me about this ant say to go heavier but i like to keep it sporty. and the chances of catching above a 20 pound fluke are slim to none.

3. Rigs- those are good, fluke very picky so it pretty much just comes down to prefrence. what ever you like to fish will probably work.

4. Bucktails – i think i covered that, it all depends of current and wind speed

good luck, once i started using bucktails, i havent used bait since again. like ryan said, im certenly no expert, but ive caught alot of fish using this method.
hope this helps, cant wait till the season starts, just a little longer

"You can watch things happen, make things happen or wonder what the !#$ just happened" - Captain Phil Harris

<><
Old 03-26-2012, 01:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I make my rigs pretty much exactly like Ryan suggested, only I tie my own teasers with a baitholder to which I'll stick a berkley strip bait on.

Usually a chart or pink 4-6oz bucktail on the bottom. (just enough to hold bottom) 30lb braid with a 3 foot 40lb mono leader (I like the camo leaders...the ones that blend multiple colors...worked great for me in the past)

I'm also going to be dead sticking a Viper spoon this season...the thing definitely caught for me out in Montauk, hope to get my jersey doormat this year.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:01 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Check out this excellent post with pics (thanks to Russ H):
http://www.njfishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23568
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

1. 30lbs braid and up will do the trick. Hook set is spot on.
2. leader.. i use 25 -30 floro.. easy to tie and super strong
3. rigs.. what i do is tie on my bottom jig then run up about foot or less and tie a dropper loop for my teaser.. then u can cut and attach to a swivel or what i do is run out some more leader and just tie that to my braid to act as my leader as well as my rig..
4. bucktails.. there are a lot out there.. i will use most times a 2oz Spro for my bottom and a 1/4oz Spro for my teaser.. there are so many different combos.. weight depends on conditions. color.. there are so many.. chart is good and find other colors to work as well.. id buy some from 2oz to 4oz for your bottom and some 1/4oz - 1/2oz for your teasers.. in different color pairs..

good luck.. that set up there i have picked up a lot of nice summer fluke with..
Old 04-04-2012, 08:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks all. Looks like most use fairly simple rigs with dropper looops, easy & quick to tie. I stocked up with a good variety of bucktails ½ to 6oz in several colors over the winter. I read the link supplied by hartattack and searched out the Kil-R rig, so I have some ideas to experiment with after I limit.

I went on a PB from Rhode Island a couple of times last summer and each time an 11 lber won the pool, caught with a bucktail, so that's my goal. Actually, I'd be happy with a 10!