NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

New Message Board Tips and Tricks - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Non Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Non Fishing Use this board to post non fishing related information. The same rules apply here as the other boards. Behave or your post will be removed along with your posting priviledges.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default New Message Board Tips and Tricks

Like most of us who visit here, I’m still learning how to navigate the new board and playing around with all the functionality. A lot of these features are only available if you are a member so you will need to regsiter to use them. Feel free to pile on here since I know there are a lot of you that know more about this board then I do

Here goes my list :
  • Don’t want to sort through all the posts to find the ones you have not already seen? Just click on new posts. This will show you new threads as well as old threads that people have added to.
  • Would you like to create a custom signature that will appear on all your posts? Just click on User CP which stands for Control Panel…. Here you can create and edit your signature, add an Avitar etc.
  • Are you interested in following a specific thread? Once in that specific thread click on thread tools and then click on subscribe to this thread. Depending on how you set up you subscription you will be emailed a copy of the thread at intervals which you determine. Daily, weekly or instant, which means you will be notified each time someone responds to that thread… This is particularly useful for sponsors who post open boat trips. Rather then have to return to the board to look for responses you will get an email notifying you.
  • See a post you like and want to share or print it….. Once in the post; click on thread tools. If you want to print it click on Show Printable Version and print it out. You can also click on Email This Page and email it to yourself so you can file it in your email, or send it along to someone else that may find interest in it.
  • Are you looking to talk to someone on the board privately? Just click on Members List and send them either a Private Message, which shows up in their Private Mail Box on the board, or choose email and the message will go to the email address loaded on their profile….. If someone has populated their IM profile you can IM them as well. You can also click on their name within a post and do some of the same things.
  • Do you think a particular thread is great and will be of general interest to others? Click on rate thread and give it a positive rating. The more positive ratings a thread gets the higher it will stay on the board.
  • Want to see what’s going on today or later in the month? Click on Calendar….. If you want to add an event to the calendar please shoot me an email and I will get your event added. Also, if someone has given their birth date in their profile and has allowed this information to be public, it will show up on the calendar as well.
  • Forgot your password …. Before you attempt to log in go to any post and click on it and choose forgot password…. It will ask for the email address you originally regsitered under and email you your password.
  • Already registered and want to change your password or email ? Log in with your old password Click on User CP and then edit email/password.
One more thing… Don’t feel like you are going to break something by screwing around with all the different options. Feel free to experiment… If you post a test message just be sure and use the Non Fishing board and delete your test entry so we don’t clog up the board.

Lots of neat stuff here. Next time it’s raining or your trip gets blown out, have some fun and play around a bit. Enjoy!

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 04-05-2008 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Site Moderator

Default Managing PMs

I hate going to CHECK my PMs

In User Cp, click on Edit Options; then enable Pop UP for Private Messages.

When you log in, a pop up appears, tells you you have a message, who it's from, what it concerns and asks if you wanna see it now or later. If you click NOW, it then pops up asking you if you wanna open it in a new window.

You open the PM in the new window, read it, reply or erase and close the window and you're still at the window you were at.
NJ DEVILS
Old 04-14-2008, 05:10 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Managing PMs

Just a quick note about that, if you have your security settings set to "tinfoil hat" level like I do your web browser won't allow you to open a popup PM. So what you need to do is go into your clients allow list and tell them that NJFishing.com is okay. Otherwise you will get a security warning on the top line of your browser that you may or may not see.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Old Board?

still getting traffic-why?
I saw report from sunday had 149 hits still????

RESEARCH NOT POLICY OR REGULATIONS!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 07:49 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: New Message Board Tips and Tricks

Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?I just can't posta picture on my add. I downloaded my pics to my P.C.and I try to upload on my fish pix and I just can't figure out how to resize the pics. They tell me that their too large.I'm not that good with a P.C..rubberheels@optonline.net
Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

how are you fellows grabbing multiple quotes when replying to a thread?
Old 09-01-2009, 09:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberheels
Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?I just can't posta picture on my add. I downloaded my pics to my P.C.and I try to upload on my fish pix and I just can't figure out how to resize the pics. They tell me that their too large.I'm not that good with a P.C..rubberheels@optonline.net
Most pc's have Microsoft Picture Manager. If you right click on the pic, and choose OPEN WITH then pic MICROSOFT PICTURE MANAGER (something like that). THen when the pic opens, click on EDIT, then RESIZE PIC. In the dropdown choose EMAIL or WEB option and its fine for this site. It's a quick way to resize it. Don't forget to save it as something else so you don't override your original size pic though. That would suck!!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
[SIZE=2][*]Are you interested in following a specific thread? Once in that specific thread click on thread tools and then click on subscribe to this thread. Depending on how you set up you subscription you will be emailed a copy of the thread at intervals which you determine. Daily, weekly or instant, which means you will be notified each time someone responds to that thread… This is particularly useful for sponsors who post open boat trips. Rather then have to return to the board to look for responses you will get an email notifying you
I played with the settings plenty and finally have it the way I want it. I was tired of actually subscribing to every thread I posted on manually so in the settings I found the setting that allows the threads that I post on to notify me...only I don't like all of the emails so I like to only get PM notifications in my own email and I see the threads when I log into this site only.

Agree, plenty of options.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:48 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Here's a good one I found useful this week....

The Ignore List

Here is a great feature if you would rather not view a members post or threads.

Here is how it works....

Just click on the members name and under "profile" in the middle upper portion of the page is a thin black bar. Click on ignore (member name) then submit.

Now when that person posts, you won't see it. You can undo the feature at a later point when and if you choose.

Leif

Last edited by Leif; 02-12-2012 at 06:36 AM..