NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Late nite Larry at the Spruce - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Cool Late nite Larry at the Spruce

I took a drive out to Spruce Run last night so that my boat was packed up and ready to go when I get there after work today. Of course I couldn’t help but stop at the inlet parking lot on my way home to take a few casts. It was pretty late, around 2 am, but air tempature was still in the high 50s. Lots of action on the water, splashes everywhere and signs of life returning with the warm temps. In pretty short order I hooked into a beast Largemouth using a chatter bait with a senko trailer (sounds weird but works amazing). The fish was 19” and I estimate around 4 lbs. I was happy to have hooked him on the one rod I have set up with 20 lb braid, all other poles have 8 lb mono and this fish would have been trouble on 8 lb mono. This is my first attempt at posting pics via a link rather than as an attachment so bear with me, I may need a few tries and will post pics in a comment if the links in this post don’t work.

I also have a pretty cool release video. This guy took a while to revive and I was starting to get worried when out of nowhere with one big swipe of the tail I was soaked and the fish was gone. Is there a way to embed video clips as links the way you can with pictures?

Old 04-13-2018, 10:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Late nite Larry at the Spruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by logs22 View Post
I took a drive out to Spruce Run last night so that my boat was packed up and ready to go when I get there after work today. Of course I couldn’t help but stop at the inlet parking lot on my way home to take a few casts. It was pretty late, around 2 am, but air tempature was still in the high 50s. Lots of action on the water, splashes everywhere and signs of life returning with the warm temps. In pretty short order I hooked into a beast Largemouth using a chatter bait with a senko trailer (sounds weird but works amazing). The fish was 19” and I estimate around 4 lbs. I was happy to have hooked him on the one rod I have set up with 20 lb braid, all other poles have 8 lb mono and this fish would have been trouble on 8 lb mono. This is my first attempt at posting pics via a link rather than as an attachment so bear with me, I may need a few tries and will post pics in a comment if the links in this post don’t work.

I also have a pretty cool release video. This guy took a while to revive and I was starting to get worried when out of nowhere with one big swipe of the tail I was soaked and the fish was gone. Is there a way to embed video clips as links the way you can with pictures?

let me know how you do. im trying to go out tomorrow am in RB for stripers but the wind could be sketchy. will try one of the reservoirs up north instead if its gusting >20
Old 04-13-2018, 12:06 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Nice bucketmouth.. That probably got your heart going hooking that thing in the darkness. Your post have been inspiring me to take a night trip soon!

Best of luck out there today.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:43 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That is a pig LM dude. Nicely Done. Chatterbait with a Senko trailer...now that's something I have not tried or even heard of before. ("I'll let you know how I do the next time I go out! ) Good luck at Spruce tonight...might try to hit Spruce Sat on the boat. Along with 5,000 other boats now that you posted this come to think of it! HAHAHA!
Old 04-13-2018, 03:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow - that's an awesome bass.

Can you believe I have yet to fish this year?!? I have been swamped by work and various family obligations and haven't had any time to get out. It doesn't look like I'm going to make it this weekend, either.

Something to think about...a bass that size is probably about nine years old. Living in the most heavily fished reservoir in the state - and possibly America, can you imagine how many times that bass has been caught and released in its lifetime? Catch and release works!

Length-Age chart: http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Penn...Management.pdf

Old 04-13-2018, 03:33 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOnKV View Post
Nice bucketmouth.. That probably got your heart going hooking that thing in the darkness. Your post have been inspiring me to take a night trip soon!

Best of luck out there today.
Thanks everyone driving to Spruce now. Bait is purchased, beer is on ice and I have a feeling it’s going to be a great evening on the lake. If anyone else is fishing Spruce tonight hit me up. I will be the guy killing it in the green 12’ Jon boat!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Talking Re: Late nite Larry at the Spruce

Good luck on your adventure! That is one beautiful BUCKETMOUTH right there bro. Yes sir!!!
Old 04-14-2018, 04:09 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: Late nite Larry at the Spruce

Chunky Larry, Nice !!
Old 04-14-2018, 07:24 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had a crappie day at spruce today. Weather was great though
Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I had a crappie day at spruce today. Weather was great though
After all my talk I got completely skunked at SR Friday. Beautiful weather at least.