NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat prices - Page 4 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 04-22-2019, 08:13 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Re: Party boat prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TogRipper View Post
It seems all the party boats all increased their fares at the same time?
It seems they all decided to raise the fare 5 dollars to 70.
Seems odd as every other service provided or product sold in other industries have different prices for competition.
For example, barbers, plumbeers, charter boats, and others who provide service all have different prices when shopping for a service.
Anyone else have a thought on this?
Gerry if this needs to be moved to another part of the subject board please do so.
Thanks!
[ Solution]: If you want cheaper than $70, buy a $60 surf rod and spend $5 on bait then you'll be ahead of the game.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Everything costs more now than it did before. As for all raising prices about the same time. Once one did it that allowed the others to do it and stay competitive. Can't blame them for trying to be profitable...Charlie
Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM
NJFishing.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanton327 View Post
God forbid party boat captains try to keep up with inflation and cost of doing business in Jersey!!! Why try to stir up SH$& man get a life and go fishing...buy your own boat its sure to be cheaper!!!
I sense anger. It's a discussion board if you cannot have a civil discussion perhaps you should not comment as you offer no insight and only anger.
I saw a couple of posts that made sense. Gerry's post definitely shed a different perspective and appreciated.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

I would like to know when was the last increase for this PB?
Old 04-22-2019, 09:31 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
I sense anger. It's a discussion board if you cannot have a civil discussion perhaps you should not comment as you offer no insight and only anger.
I saw a couple of posts that made sense. Gerry's post definitely shed a different perspective and appreciated.
I have no anger Mr Ripper but your post only makes ppl question & speculate guys who bust their ass every day all day... I rarely if ever fish on party boats but appreciate the hell out of their daily grind. Five more bucks they deserve!!!
Old 04-23-2019, 06:56 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

If they were smart that would have gone to $75 even at that rate it’s still a bargain !
The time , work, cost of operation fish reg , it’s amazing any are left that can make a living! They were how most of us started boat fishing in saltwater , and ya I remember in the 50’s my fare as a kid was Under $5 ! Gas .30 a gallon .
Times change and today’s costs big difference !
Old 04-23-2019, 09:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Everyone forgets the PB marina lots have Free Parking! Cheapest parking at the shore
Old 04-23-2019, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
It seems all the party boats all increased their fares at the same time?
It seems they all decided to raise the fare 5 dollars to 70.
Seems odd as every other service provided or product sold in other industries have different prices for competition.
For example, barbers, plumbeers, charter boats, and others who provide service all have different prices when shopping for a service.
Anyone else have a thought on this?
Gerry if this needs to be moved to another part of the subject board please do so.
Thanks!
I agree that the price for all party boats seem to rise in unison, its based off the economic consumer price index - not really odd, its just something thats been happening since the dawn of trade. I must respectfully disagree that the other retailers, such as barbers, have a "different prices"; sure not the exact same cost everywhere, but I'm pretty sure there is a pretty tight range of costs for getting clipped; I expect to pay between $15-20 for a mans haircut. I think this range of costs I've referenced is applicable to all of our beautiful party/charter boats as well.

Essentially its a theoretical economic model based off of perfect competition/marketplace. In our case of party boats, I would think that each fishing businesses would indeed want prices to be the same, so you can pick the boat for your needs through price equalization.

For example - if I am at the Atlantic Highlands marina, why would I take one boat over another? If four boats are running the same trip (e.g. 1/2 day fluke), of course the one that is $10 cheaper is gonna fill up first! Imagine three of these boats at $45 and one at $35 for a half day!

With this understanding, now the consumers choices are based off everything but the price. Its about Captain, crew, amenities and the relationships we develop with all the folks on board.

I hope that my response is inferred as courteous and respectful to your request for thoughts on this matter, thank you for your post TogRipper.

Mike
Old 04-23-2019, 12:39 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

The answer to me is that it's not an economically efficient market. Bear with me a minute.

In most other markets, each participant has its own distinct cost profile. They have a rate of return that they require to deploy their resources in the market. They set prices at the optimal level to maximize their return based on those requirements, the elasticity (price sensitivity) of the demand, and the differentiation of their product (ability to charge more by having a better offering).

Head boat market doesn't seem to play by those rules. If it did, surely one captain with a lower cost profile (more fuel efficient boat?) would charge $68. A captain with a "premium" product (newer boat? stronger brand?) might charge $75.

Why exactly it operates this way is probably something that only a captain can answer. Maybe it's because they all require each other's cooperation on the grounds and don't want to be seen as undercutting each other. Maybe it's a perception that by not competing on price, everyone does better.