NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Brooks in Sparta area - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-05-2018, 11:33 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Brooks in Sparta area

Just moved to sparta saturday and still getting settled in but want to sneak away from duties early saturday morning to try my new homes fishing area

doing some research i've found hibernia brook... jackson brook... berkshire valley road

are any of those worth giving a shot? this weekend? forgot waders at my parents house so wont have them until sometime next week so shore fishing for me this weekend
anyway wanted to try some of these areas if worth it.. or should i wait for them to start stocking next week??

any sugguestions would be great.. i belong to private lake saginaw but havent seen too much about fishing there

just looking to get out and not go to far since i got alot to do still
let me know if you can
thanks and tight lines
Old 10-05-2018, 12:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Brooks in Sparta area

berkshire valley is tough to fish effectively without waders and is probably not worth it until the stock...don't know about the other streams
Old 10-05-2018, 12:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Check the special regulations area of the Paulinskill River around Lafayette. You have to explore but there are a few easy access points near Rt.94. You are really not that far from Stokes State Forest. There is the Big Flatbrook and Little Flatbrook to check out. Clove Brook near Sussex is also a sleeper.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Hibernia brook comes out of a top flow dam on Lake Ames so it has thermal issues that effect holdover rates. Plus the it gets fished hard by people that take trout home for table fare. Jackson brook I don't know much about. The Rockaway in Berkshire valley is fair for holdover trout, especially with a wet summer like we had. But you need waders to fish it given the current stream flow.

the Paulinskill River around Lafayette is probably closer than BV and you might be able to manage it without wading since it's not as wide, especially if you are throwing spinners or plugging. You might want to look at the Walkill also.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Most of the brooks up that way (or almost anywhere in NJ) are put and take. There are access points close to the roads but they are fished very hard on stocking days. If there is good water flow you might get lucky and find a couple of spots downstream from the stocking points that hold trout. When in doubt, ask a few of the local kids you see with fishing rods. They always know a spot back in the woods somewhere.

You're in a good location with only a short drive to some very good fishing spots. Check the NJ Fishing Digest and then one of the online state road maps and find your spot.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Brooks in Sparta area

http://www.nnjtu.org/