NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

copolymer - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 05-15-2017, 05:28 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default copolymer

Had an extra 3000 spinning reel that needed line so I figured I'd try out copolymer. Strung it up with 10lb and liked it so much I replaced fluoro on one of my smaller reels with 6lb copolymer. Casts further, lies flat, tough, and is almost invisible in the water so I'm going to test out the 4lb on a UL next. Looking for others opinions, thanks.

update 6/3- pulled it off my 4 and 6 lb reels today, too many line twists!

update 6/21- as per 6/3 update switched to mono, definitely miss the non-stretch property of the copolymer. may try the copolymer again on a spare reel and treat it with pure silicone to see if the twists are more manageable.

Last edited by tycomps; 06-22-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: copolymer

My experience is different. The stuff is small diameter and soft, which has its advantages, but it nicks easily, and a nick in that small diameter creates a significant weak spot.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Watch your knots copolymers dont like heat it weakens them. Make sure you wet them when you tighten them down.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELLYUP View Post
Watch your knots copolymers dont like heat it weakens them. Make sure you wet them when you tighten them down.
noticed that, forgot to lick one and it resulted in a 2 inch pig tail from the lure up (palomar).
Old 06-26-2017, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

what brand of copolymer did you use?

I have had great success with 8# Izorline XXX.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Izorl...ge-IXXXSC.html

I treat all my line with KVD line conditioner as well.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:14 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

tried kast king and p line with the same results so I stopped using it, have heard the KVD and pure 'food industry' approved silcone work, might try again at some point with the line treatment.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I like that izorline. a buddy of mine was a rep for them and we did a show in rockland one year. we had the line on the knot tester machine and it holds up extremely well. the line is real nice. has a fair amount of stretch too. I know the trout guys love the smaller diameters as some local shops sell it out quickly. I have used the 6 for drop shot, 8 for light cranking on my crankbait rod and have used 14 as a leader to braid. im pretty much a bass guy . wet your knots always too. if ya wanna try it out I got some bulk spools ill fill a reel for ya if your in the area.
Old 08-06-2017, 01:00 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post
I like that izorline. a buddy of mine was a rep for them and we did a show in rockland one year. we had the line on the knot tester machine and it holds up extremely well. the line is real nice. has a fair amount of stretch too. I know the trout guys love the smaller diameters as some local shops sell it out quickly. I have used the 6 for drop shot, 8 for light cranking on my crankbait rod and have used 14 as a leader to braid. im pretty much a bass guy . wet your knots always too. if ya wanna try it out I got some bulk spools ill fill a reel for ya if your in the area.
just checked my line stock again, looks like I tried 6lb clear yo-zuri hybrid too.

I'm in North Plainfield and don't go north much but thanks for the offer, think I'll try izorline with kvd next. let you know.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:59 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

no worries, I do enjoy it and the offer always stands. so long as I still have it. if they do an outing in the fall or some get together ill bring it. we will see . im sure you will like it
Old 08-14-2017, 10:51 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

ordered 8# izorline, gonna use a can of real magic I have on it (know it's not pure), will update results. thanks!

also going to use 4# p line on another reel with real magic this time to see if it helps.......more to come.

update 8/22- I strung both new reels as per above taking great care to minimize line irregularities. sprayed a lint free cloth with the reel magic and ran line thru it while stringing. got out this morning for an hour to test the lines. both laid flat and cast long although I still get the tip loop more than I'd like. didn't see any oil from the RM as I've read. overall as happy as I was the last time I tried copolymer, hope it holds up.

Last edited by tycomps; 08-22-2017 at 08:49 AM..