NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Eyes on First Ave-Win a Yeti Roadie 20 Cooler-Game On! - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:44 PM
Site Sponsor

Default Eyes on First Ave-Win a Yeti Roadie 20 Cooler-Game On!

Hi everyone! It is time to raffle off that Yeti Roadie 20 Cooler that Costa so generously donated!!! So here we go-In order to be entered into the raffle, you must be a registered NJFishing.com member and post one of the following on this thread:

1. A picture of one of your best catches.
2. A funny fishing story.
3. Your best day out on the water.
4. A picture of you in your Costa's.
(Or all of the above!)

I wanted to keep it simple and I wanted to give all members an opportunity to participate and win so I hope this works for everyone! Anyone who posts and shares on this thread will have their name entered into the raffle. Once you post I am going to respond with a your in! If I do not respond right away, do not worry I will get to it. It may take a day or two depending on how busy I am in the store. The deadline to post is Thursday, May 29th. A raffle ticket will be pulled out of the cooler on Friday, May 30th and announced in the afternoon. Good luck and I am looking forward to seeing what some of you characters are going to post.

732 291 3937

Largest Authorized Prescription and Non Prescription Costa Del Mar Dealer in Monmouth County!
www.eyesonfirstave.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eyes-...388?ref=br_tf]

Last edited by EyesOnFirstAve; 05-15-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 03:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Eyes on First Ave-Win a Yeti Roadie 20 Cooler-Game On!

First time on a Party Boat (SeaHunter) my daughter nails this 8 pound fluke, sweeps both pools and gets her name in the Star-Ledger. More importantly it seeded the passion that she still has. She caught the big one at age 7 and is still out-fishing me (that's easy) 13+ years later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ahfluke.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	69201   Click image for larger version

Name:	pinky3.jpg
Views:	3593
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	69202  

Last edited by hartattack; 05-15-2014 at 04:06 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 03:30 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

So it's spring of 2006... Just put the boat in it's slip a few days earlier and head down to the marina with a bucket of supplies and a long list of to dos. Had no intention of fishing but when I arrive at the dock my boat neihbor Bill is tempting me to go fishing... What are good neihbors for, right?

We head out for a few hours and fished on the edge of the Swash for an hour or so and only had one Rat to show for it so Bill decided to make a move into shallower water up on the Shoal. Wasn't log before we had a few fish on board. A few in the teens and one that went about 20 pounds.

Must have been around 3:30 or 4 or so when I reeled up my line to check the bait. The Rats must have picked the ribbons off the clam bait since all that I had left was the tongue. It was getting late and Bill and I talked about leaving so I didn't even bother to put a new clam on. I just threw it back over and put the pole in the rod holder in free spool with the clicker on and started getting the boat in order for the ride back home.

I was screwing around doing something and noticed my pole tip bouncing. You know… the telltale twitch-twitch you get before the clicker starts screaming. I picked up the pole, put it in the 3:00 position and let her take a little more line. Once she started running I set the hook and could feel it was a decent fish. This is the first one of the day that stayed down rather then come to the surface. She was peeling line off the little AVET SX pretty good and I said half joking to Bill "Maybe we should come off the anchor and run this fish down". We both kind of shrugged it off and I continued to gain some line here and there. Bill mentions the boat record is 28 pounds and we start to get excited. Must have been 10 minutes or so when she finally came boat side.

I couldn't believe my eyes!! I knew she was big but I had no idea how big. Bill gets the big net and I steer her into it head first. She's bigger then the net so Bill lifts the net up and she folds up into the net. He tries to lift her over the side with the end of the net handle and she's too heavy. I bend over and grab the frame of the net and horse her up over the gunnel and laid her down on the deck. WOW!! This is the biggest Striper I’ve ever caught.

Bill gets the Boga grip and the fish buries the scale..... As he goes into the cabin to look for a heavier scale I'm looking down at her think “Do I keep this fish”?? We put her on a heavier spring scale and she weights 40. We put her on the Berkley electronic scale and she's 39. After that I turn to say to Bill "Maybe we should keep her". With out hesitation Bill says "Nah we should really let her go" I thought about it and said " Yep Bill you're right". So now we set her back in the water to try and revive her.

It's not looking real good. She's tired and not really breathing. I have her by the gill plate and can't really get her in the current the way I’d like so we decide to put her in the net. She still does not seem to be recovering so Bill calls Frank Tenore who’s fishing a short distance from us. Frank suggests sticking the salt water wash down hose down her mouth. I try and tilt the net to get her head up so we can hit her with the hose. She flops out of the net and makes one strong swoosh of her broom size tail and swims off.

Man.... I'm so glad we released that fish. We were really bummed when it didn't look like she'd make it. Once the Adrenaline wore off I’m sure the ride back to the dock would have been pretty somber seeing a beautiful fish like that lying dead on the deck.

Once back at the Marinas Bill and I started commiserating…. I probably could have won the annual dock pool with that fish or maybe even had a place in the Fisherman Magazine Dream Boat standings for a month. But you know what? Returning that fish to the sea and seeing her swim off was a more of a rush then catching her.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BigStriper2 042906.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	69203  

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 05-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartattack View Post
First time on a Party Boat (SeaHunter) my daughter nails this 8 pound fluke, sweeps both pools and gets her name in the Star-Ledger. More importantly it seeded the passion that she still has. She caught the big one at age 8 and is still out-fishing me (that's easy) 12 years later
You are the first one in hartattack! Great story and I love the then and now pictures. The smile on your daughters face is priceless. Good luck.
732 291 3937

Largest Authorized Prescription and Non Prescription Costa Del Mar Dealer in Monmouth County!
www.eyesonfirstave.com

Last edited by EyesOnFirstAve; 05-15-2014 at 03:53 PM..
Old 05-15-2014, 03:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

First time out in the canyon to try for tilefish... Crushed them in three hours... Found a new love in fishing-deep drop- never did it before but went for tuna a lot, found a new fish I love to catch, and another fishing tackle item to buy- electric reel... My pb so far at 38# - man that hurt me!

Some of our catch with a kick a$$ group on an even more kick a$$ boat!! Steel Leader
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
So it's spring of 2006... Just put the boat in it's slip a few days earlier and head down to the marina with a bucket of supplies and a long list of to dos. Had no intention of fishing but when I arrive at the dock my boat neihbor Bill is tempting me to go fishing... What are good neihbors for, right?

We head out for a few hours and fished on the edge of the Swash for an hour or so and only had one Rat to show for it so Bill decided to make a move into shallower water up on the Shoal. Wasn't log before we had a few fish on board. A few in the teens and one that went about 20 pounds.

Must have been around 3:30 or 4 or so when I reeled up my line to check the bait. The Rats must have picked the ribbons off the clam bait since all that I had left was the tongue. It was getting late and Bill and I talked about leaving so I didn't even bother to put a new clam on. I just threw it back over and put the pole in the rod holder in free spool with the clicker on and started getting the boat in order for the ride back home.

I was screwing around doing something and noticed my pole tip bouncing. You know… the telltale twitch-twitch you get before the clicker starts screaming. I picked up the pole, put it in the 3:00 position and let her take a little more line. Once she started running I set the hook and could feel it was a decent fish. This is the first one of the day that stayed down rather then come to the surface. She was peeling line off the little AVET SX pretty good and I said half joking to Bill "Maybe we should come off the anchor and run this fish down". We both kind of shrugged it off and I continued to gain some line here and there. Bill mentions the boat record is 28 pounds and we start to get excited. Must have been 10 minutes or so when she finally came boat side.

I couldn't believe my eyes!! I knew she was big but I had no idea how big. Bill gets the big net and I steer her into it head first. She's bigger then the net so Bill lifts the net up and she folds up into the net. He tries to lift her over the side with the end of the net handle and she's too heavy. I bend over and grab the frame of the net and horse her up over the gunnel and laid her down on the deck. WOW!! This is the biggest Striper I’ve ever caught.

Bill gets the Boga grip and the fish buries the scale..... As he goes into the cabin to look for a heavier scale I'm looking down at her think “Do I keep this fish”?? We put her on a heavier spring scale and she weights 40. We put her on the Berkley electronic scale and she's 39. After that I turn to say to Bill "Maybe we should keep her". With out hesitation Bill says "Nah we should really let her go" I thought about it and said " Yep Bill you're right". So now we set her back in the water to try and revive her.

It's not looking real good. She's tired and not really breathing. I have her by the gill plate and can't really get her in the current the way I’d like so we decide to put her in the net. She still does not seem to be recovering so Bill calls Frank Tenore who’s fishing a short distance from us. Frank suggests sticking the salt water wash down hose down her mouth. I try and tilt the net to get her head up so we can hit her with the hose. She flops out of the net and makes one strong swoosh of her broom size tail and swims off.

Man.... I'm so glad we released that fish. We were really bummed when it didn't look like she'd make it. Once the Adrenaline wore off I’m sure the ride back to the dock would have been pretty somber seeing a beautiful fish like that lying dead on the deck.

Once back at the Marinas Bill and I started commiserating…. I probably could have won the annual dock pool with that fish or maybe even had a place in the Fisherman Magazine Dream Boat standings for a month. But you know what? Returning that fish to the sea and seeing her swim off was a more of a rush then catching her.
Great story and a touching ending! Nice to see your sensitive side. Your in, good luck.
732 291 3937

www.eyesonfirstave.com
Old 05-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28 View Post
First time out in the canyon to try for tilefish... Crushed them in three hours... Found a new love in fishing-deep drop- never did it before but went for tuna a lot, found a new fish I love to catch, and another fishing tackle item to buy- electric reel... My pb so far at 38# - man that hurt me!

Some of our catch with a kick a$$ group on an even more kick a$$ boat!! Steel Leader
Wow, awesome pics! That's a crazy amount of fish. Your in, good luck.
732 291 3937

www.eyesonfirstave.com
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Chad Bennett and I had a banner day cod fishing on a local NS.
Surprised yesterday to make the cover of the Fisherman.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	69204  
Old 05-15-2014, 04:29 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

My grandfather first took me out on a party boat out of LBI in 1998 when I was 8 years old. I was having a great first day fishing with a cooler full of fluke. At the final horn at the end of the day I start reeling my line up and wham! Almost lost my rod. With a little help from my grandpa I boated a 5 lb fluke and won the pool. This was my best day on the water and the day that ignited my lifelong (and expensive) passion for salt water fishing.
Old 05-15-2014, 04:44 PM
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=howarda780;356755]Chad Bennett and I had a banner day cod fishing on a local NS.
Surprised yesterday to make the cover of the Fisherman.[/QUOTE

Congrats on a great day of fishing and making the cover of the Fisherman! Your in, good luck!
732 291 3937

www.eyesonfirstave.com