NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

If You Plan to Saltwater Fish in NJ Read This - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default If You Plan to Saltwater Fish in NJ Read This

If you plan to saltwater fish in NJ in 2010 you may need to register to do so. I know there are mutiple threads spread all over the place but figured it would make sense to have one thread with all the realted info on it.

The purpose of the registry is to collect your contact information so someone from NJ Fish and Game or NOAA can contact you to get information on your fishing habits and catches. The reason we have this registry is because Federal Law requires states to either have a saltwater license or to have their anglers register. NJ State has opted for the registry option for now and it's free, but who knows what will happen in the future.

Here is what I believe to be the case:
- If you are 15 or under you don't have to register
- If you are not a US citizen you don't have to regsiter
- If you hold a salwaterfishing license from NY (or some other coastal states that have sw licenses) you don't have to register and can fish in NJ saltwater.
- If you are fishing on for hire vessel (party or charter boat) that is covered by a NOAA for hire permit, you are covered while fishing on that boat.
- If you are fishing on a private boat although they might have a NOAA permit for the boat, like a Highly Migratory Species Permit, the person
who that permit was issued to is covered, but the people fishing on the boat are not. They need to be registered.
- If you plan to fish from shore or from your own boat you are going to need to register unless you are covered by one of the other rules above.
- Even if you are registered this does not allow you fish in NY State waters. You need to buy a non resident NY Saltwater license to do so or the for hire boat you are on may have a permit from NY that covers everyone on board.
- None of this applies during the first wednesday of each month during leap years. Only kidding

To register go to this link... https://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/index.html You will be issued a temporary card to print out until your official card is mailed. You need to have this card in your possession at all times unless you are covered by one of the rules above or your are subject to fines.

Feel free to pile on here with other whacky scenarios and please do correct me if I am wrong.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-09-2010 at 05:11 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Wink Re: If You Plan to Saltwater Fish in NJ Read This

Thanks Gerry,

That made it very easy to register and simple to understand.

FH
Old 03-09-2010, 05:16 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: If You Plan to Saltwater Fish in NJ Read This

Thanks I'm glad you understand it Harder. This stuff is confusing enough to drive a person to drink. And that for me is a very short drive

Next I will attempt to explain how people can actually record one TV show while watching another

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-09-2010 at 05:19 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

That might be a bit to complex for the likes of me LOL

I also travel that short road of driving to drink
Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Maybe we should all registered ACORN style under the names of the dead.

Seriously, non US citizens do not have to register ???!!!...man the jetties are going to be packed now.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski
Thanks I'm glad you understand it Harder. This stuff is confusing enough to drive a person to drink. And that for me is a very short drive

Next I will attempt to explain how people can actually record one TV show while watching another
Thanks Gerry that was easy to understand. Now all you got to do is teach me how to tie my shoelaces LOL .
Old 03-09-2010, 06:13 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I hear you Doc.... It seems bass akwards to me too. You would think that if anyone were exempt, it sould be the people who are US citizens that live in NJ and as a result pay some of the highest taxes in the country.

I can see it now..... Some NJ resident is fishing on a Jetty somewhere and the fish cops show up and he/she does not have their registry card... They get a ticket and the illegals don't ?

Hmmmm - I think I may have heard something like this before....Oh yes!! Our new Goverment proposed Health Care Plan. Manditory for us and or our employers, but free to illegals

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 03-09-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Gerry,
This is a true story for you.
Back about 5 or 6 years ago I was taking pictures of the Miss Belmar Princess leaving the inlet. On the south side, right by the bridge, there were 2 or 3 Asian's with a 5 gallon bucket that had small blackfish and fluke in it. And I mean small. The fish cops walked down the stairs to the jetty and did not even glance their way but stopped further down the jetty to see what other people had caught. I don't know what they found but they got almost to the end and turned around and walked back to their SUV without asking anybody questions. Just looking. Never said a word to anybody as far as I saw.
Maybe a coffee break without the coffee?
Old 03-09-2010, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Thanks Gerry!
And so nevermore shall we be seeing you again.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I had heard this mandatory registration, thanks for posting, no time like the present to take of this gov't business.