NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

RFA -NJ Cod Safari on da Gambler - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: RFA -NJ Cod Safari on da Gambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfish28 View Post
Dales that was me + 2 on my post ...
Corrected Dfish My bad. See ya soon!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I am Caddyshack Jeff's + 1.. This will be my first trip specificly targeting cod. I was just looking for some input on what gear im going to need.. rod and reel, terminal tackle ect.. Thanks guys
Old 04-12-2015, 03:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Typical deeper ground fish setup ... Don't get your hopes up just be ready... 10-24 oz of lead with some teasers and a rag to wipe off the clam crud from your digits...have teasers on hand to rig
Above and some beers for those that may run out ...
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 04-12-2015, 03:51 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

And hammered diamonds
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 04-12-2015, 05:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

How deep do you think we will be fishing?

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubby View Post
I am Caddyshack Jeff's + 1.. This will be my first trip specificly targeting cod. I was just looking for some input on what gear im going to need.. rod and reel, terminal tackle ect.. Thanks guys
Look in Fishing Tips forum. Leif and some others have posted some great articles on this.

One of Leif's copied below:

You can take advantage of all species by considering the following recommendations:

PREPARATION IS KEY:

Proper rod and reel

20-50lb 7-8ft rod equiped with a suitable reel like a Penn Jigmaster or 4/0 sized reel loaded with new 30-40lb mono or 65lb braid.

Do not bring a traditional spinning outfit on these trips. You are wasting your time and others. The exceptions are the new "hightech" rods and reels which are small, light and very strong and expensive)

Cod rigs:

High /Low 2 hook Cod rig 80lb leader 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks on 6in dropper loops.
I use 6 inch Pink Tsunami Squids or Pink ,red or glow 3-4 inch skirts

Pollock rigs:

10-12 oz Jigs tied on 80lb leader with a tube type teaser tied 2 feet above on a 6 inch dropper or tied in with 2 clinch knots. (Some nice pollock have been caught on bait as well on the high hook using squid or clam.) Use the same type of Cod rig, but with just one hook tied 4 ft above the sinker and try a whole Squid.

Ling rigs:

One 1/0-3/0 snelled Gamakatsu Circle Hook or J hook tied on 10in of 50lb test right above the sinker. Use small baits!! Just the string part of the clam or siphon part. You WILL catch lots of ling if they are there.

Cod /Pollock/ ling rigs (everything rig)

This rig will give you the best shot at whats out there. This may be the most productive rig for this type of trip. Simply a 2 hook rig tied on 60lb. leader material. One 6/0-7/0 Gamakatsu or other very sharp hook tied on a 6in dropper with choice of teaser 3-4 feet above the sinker. The second hook is a Gamakatsu or similar 2/0-3/0 Circle hook or J Hook with a small piece of clam on it. (Strings or siphon or small strip) The High hook will catch Cod or Pollock. The small hook will catch ling. If the small hook gets stuck pull hard and it will bend out. Also circle hooks seem to get stuck less and the ling will hook themselves. The small bait insures the ling will suck it in and get hooked.

I noticed the guys that caught a varitey of fish were using a rig similar to the one above. Because you never know what your going to get, this may be a good choice. You can change the rig by using 3/0-5/0 hooks as well. This way you have a better chance to land a cod if you get one on the bottom hook but may increase your odds of getting stuck as well.

Sinkers

I use 8-20oz Bank or Flat on these trips. Mostly 10-14oz. I have been using the flat sinkers on the last three trips and only lost one. That includes the kids as well. It may be a coincidence but I like the flats sinkers.

Tips

1) If the Dogfish are around and you can't deal with them take off the teaser or just fish the bottom hook and use clam only.

2) Prepare in advance. Have all your rigs ready and organized seperately. I use little zip-lock bags so the rigs don't tangle. Check your reel, line rod, ect. Properly functioning equipment saves time and makes the trip more enjoyable.

3) Check the weather, moon, overall forecast and dress appropriately. Full moon, new moon= in most cases stronger current and requires heavier sinkers.

4) Ask questions, the mates will be glad to explain and help if you ask. They are here to help. If you don't ask you won't get an answer.

5) Have realistic expectations and expect to change your strategy. These wreck trips have a lot of variables. Some trips are good some are bad. That is Winter fishing in general, It's been like that for years. Most of these spots have some life on them and in some cases a good batch of ling will save the day. I feel that if I catch one or two cod and few ling, that is a good trip. Add a Pollock and its a great one.

6) I have been having success with the pink tsunami 6in squids and the Pink/Red skirts on the droppers. Give them a try. Any comments or questions are welcome. I am open to learn as well. I just like to fish and share what I know so other people will go and be successful.

Leif
Old 04-13-2015, 10:54 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
Look in Fishing Tips forum. Leif and some others have posted some great articles on this.

One of Leif's copied below:

You can take advantage of all species by considering the following recommendations:

PREPARATION IS KEY:

Proper rod and reel

20-50lb 7-8ft rod equiped with a suitable reel like a Penn Jigmaster or 4/0 sized reel loaded with new 30-40lb mono or 65lb braid.

Do not bring a traditional spinning outfit on these trips. You are wasting your time and others. The exceptions are the new "hightech" rods and reels which are small, light and very strong and expensive)

Cod rigs:

High /Low 2 hook Cod rig 80lb leader 7/0 Gamakatsu Octopus hooks on 6in dropper loops.
I use 6 inch Pink Tsunami Squids or Pink ,red or glow 3-4 inch skirts

Pollock rigs:

10-12 oz Jigs tied on 80lb leader with a tube type teaser tied 2 feet above on a 6 inch dropper or tied in with 2 clinch knots. (Some nice pollock have been caught on bait as well on the high hook using squid or clam.) Use the same type of Cod rig, but with just one hook tied 4 ft above the sinker and try a whole Squid.

Ling rigs:

One 1/0-3/0 snelled Gamakatsu Circle Hook or J hook tied on 10in of 50lb test right above the sinker. Use small baits!! Just the string part of the clam or siphon part. You WILL catch lots of ling if they are there.

Cod /Pollock/ ling rigs (everything rig)

This rig will give you the best shot at whats out there. This may be the most productive rig for this type of trip. Simply a 2 hook rig tied on 60lb. leader material. One 6/0-7/0 Gamakatsu or other very sharp hook tied on a 6in dropper with choice of teaser 3-4 feet above the sinker. The second hook is a Gamakatsu or similar 2/0-3/0 Circle hook or J Hook with a small piece of clam on it. (Strings or siphon or small strip) The High hook will catch Cod or Pollock. The small hook will catch ling. If the small hook gets stuck pull hard and it will bend out. Also circle hooks seem to get stuck less and the ling will hook themselves. The small bait insures the ling will suck it in and get hooked.

I noticed the guys that caught a varitey of fish were using a rig similar to the one above. Because you never know what your going to get, this may be a good choice. You can change the rig by using 3/0-5/0 hooks as well. This way you have a better chance to land a cod if you get one on the bottom hook but may increase your odds of getting stuck as well.

Sinkers

I use 8-20oz Bank or Flat on these trips. Mostly 10-14oz. I have been using the flat sinkers on the last three trips and only lost one. That includes the kids as well. It may be a coincidence but I like the flats sinkers.

Tips

1) If the Dogfish are around and you can't deal with them take off the teaser or just fish the bottom hook and use clam only.

2) Prepare in advance. Have all your rigs ready and organized seperately. I use little zip-lock bags so the rigs don't tangle. Check your reel, line rod, ect. Properly functioning equipment saves time and makes the trip more enjoyable.

3) Check the weather, moon, overall forecast and dress appropriately. Full moon, new moon= in most cases stronger current and requires heavier sinkers.

4) Ask questions, the mates will be glad to explain and help if you ask. They are here to help. If you don't ask you won't get an answer.

5) Have realistic expectations and expect to change your strategy. These wreck trips have a lot of variables. Some trips are good some are bad. That is Winter fishing in general, It's been like that for years. Most of these spots have some life on them and in some cases a good batch of ling will save the day. I feel that if I catch one or two cod and few ling, that is a good trip. Add a Pollock and its a great one.

6) I have been having success with the pink tsunami 6in squids and the Pink/Red skirts on the droppers. Give them a try. Any comments or questions are welcome. I am open to learn as well. I just like to fish and share what I know so other people will go and be successful.

Leif
Thank you, this was helpful
Old 04-13-2015, 03:57 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

OK Pay Pal Link to RFA-NJ website for registration is now open on the first page / first post of this Thread.

Thanks to all attending and hopefully we can get a few more. Plenty of room on the Gambler!
Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I just paid for 3 (Me +1 and saltlife)
Old 04-13-2015, 04:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by dales529 View Post
OK Pay Pal Link to RFA-NJ website for registration is now open on the first page / first post of this Thread.

Thanks to all attending and hopefully we can get a few more. Plenty of room on the Gambler!
Just made my payment via PayPal. My plus 2 mailed a check. Computers don't work for them