NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Harness and belt recommendation - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-05-2016, 10:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Harness and belt recommendation

I've dabbled in a number of harnesses and belts in the last 15 yrs and often found myself piece-meal scrambling for a harness and belt on my old man's ride. This never works out well. The harness was too big, droppers uneven, gimbal plates off center or too low or too high, ect. It all equaled to a prematurely exhausted angler. I've used alutecnos kidney harnesses and the braid plates off droppers but never found it very comfortable. The harnesses are nice but I often found myself extended vs being "seated". When all else failed I tend to wind up railing it.

My question for you all is, do you have a preferred harness/belt recommendation for me? I'm not a big guy by any stretch of the imagination. 5'9 and a 160 lbs--so I clearly need a fish fighting system that'll keep me in proper form for extended periods of time.

Thanks in advance for your input and recommendations!
Old 06-05-2016, 10:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Harness and belt recommendation

Since I've never used one, I can't comment on set up---but do you fish private or PB's? If the latter would not recommend a harness, just a gimble belt, if that. Stopped using one a few years ago...just sayin'...charters should have everything you'd need....
Also you should find proper harness set up on-line---just google it
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 06-06-2016, 09:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Private boat. No party boat tuna. And no charter either. Thanks
Old 06-06-2016, 09:32 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I assume UR talking stand up system , if so then the gimbal regardless of brand should always be pre fitted for UR body , waist band, drop length etc should allow for ur arms to be in a relaxed position & not outstretched for the pump cycle . Reel should be positioned mid thigh & short butt rods are my choice !
Many instances except on really tough fish I would opt for a padded shoulder harness , this item can attach via a clip release system to UR reel & allow u too maintain pressure , while shaking out UR arms .
Many prefer on big fish a kidney set up which should hook up to UR reel in same fashion . I like a kidney harness that's wide similar to a power lifters bell this extra width prevent kidney rub / burn under hvy pressure .
Also any clips on big game harnesses should be of the quik,release nature !
Ur belt choice is just that urs , U should always try on & test best U can under pressure . This will at least put U in the ball park of comfort & fit .
This all plays into balance of comfort for U & allows u to pressure any size fish without feeling burn anywhere !
It's all proper size & comfort nothing more if these needs R met than you'll have very little issues on all fronts !
Of course quality & design are of paramount importance since U get exactly what u pay for in this game .
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yes, a stand up system. I've used the alutecnos kidney harness. Blown thru 2 of them actually. I like them but I've gotten straightened up by big eyes and swords in them which is never fun. A bucket or "sitting" system is what I'm looking for. I'm aware of how they all work and am looking for offshore experience testimonials and recos on the various brands and systems. I've googled them ad nauseum, read reviews and was hoping for input from some of the offshore guys here Bc I value this site tremendously. Ultimately I know obtaining a proper fit in the flesh will be the last step prior to purchasing but NJF feedback and insight is always a step a take too!

Thanks guys.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I believe Aftco has a good one only used there belts but used the original monster bucket for many season but this was designed for chair use .
Many models today are bucket style that U can stand up with & designed with that in mind .
UR Rod n reel choices R just as important by the way they to must be chosen with stand up in mind . The best belts are will not cure UR difficulties in fighting a fish if ur tackle choices R way off base !
If ur blowing thru harnesses on a regular basis I don't have an answer I've cought hundreds of big fish those in the 100to 300 lbs plus only broke a few harnesses of course I never skimped on quality and always pre fitted best I could under hvy pressure ! Most anglers cannot maintain much over 35# drag on stand up without properly bracing ur self .
We destroyed more chair set ups on Gts than ever on standup .
UR style of fighting a fish can also make things difficult if ur tackle & harnesses don't fit properly !
One cavieat' plenty of good choices today compared to 20/30 yrs ago U should have no problem at all in finding suitable quality products .
Few to look at Braid , Aftco , Black Magic & talk to someone who's caught many fish on SU then u'll get it right !
Old 06-07-2016, 08:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Any other input? It'd be for primarily 30 & 50 class gear. Tiagras and talicas.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:31 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Braid Kidney Harness with a Braid Gimbal Belt never failed me with tuna/sharks up to a 233lb Bigeye & 307 Mako.

If you prefer, you can get a harness and rig up drop straps for the gimbal.