NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

2018 Fluke Options - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:43 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: 2018 Fluke Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimpman steve View Post
Not gonna argue but I definitely know there is a summer flounder fishery here on the east coast of Florida. From Sebastian inlet north. I am also aware of the southern and gulf flounder. But summer flounder are here.
The ''Fluke" we catch in Sebastian Inlet will be as big as 10 lbs. or more.They are the same species as up north.We also have Gulf flounder that are much smaller.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 02-13-2018, 04:38 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Well, we're never getting better regs for fluke. Once they take away fish, it's rare to get them back. Can't remember the last time they increased the limit on a fish in NJ. In a few years the fluke is going the way of the winter Flounder - 2 fish limit. And I'm sure blackfish limit will go down this year.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

As with every year much will change before the actual options are presented.
Some may be better / some as you all stated.
Too early to debate.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:36 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranautic al View Post
once again, the tin boat fishing fleet can watch the RIVERS get raped by a couple commercial rod and reel permit holders during the month of may!...14" fluke no less...while our boats sit on our trailers...bullshit!
Couldn't agree more with you Al.
Some of the best fluke fishing of the year is early, and right at the end of the dock. It was a long standing family tradition of ours to catch, clean, and prepare fluke for Easter dinner. Now we get to stand at the end of the dock and watch a few pin hookers take their 500lbs a day in a matter of hours. It is aggravating and unjust.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:50 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by duranautic al View Post
once again, the tin boat fishing fleet can watch the RIVERS get raped by a couple commercial rod and reel permit holders during the month of may!...14" fluke no less...while our boats sit on our trailers...bullshit!
I can understand your anger of course, and feel pretty much as you do, but we must clarify the situation.. I think there are only 7 or 8 of those licenses in the entire state of NJ, and from what I have read, they are no longer issuing them at any price.
Also read they were incredibly expensive when they were available... A few years back an older guy was selling his on a fishing site, and wanted like $50k... You would have to be out there an awful lot to make it pay.. I think most of the licenses still out there are owned by a few old timers and their families.. that doesn't help the situation of course.. Personally, I feel they do less damage with rod and reel than a dragger would do.. Killing every damn little one that gets netted, along with everything else on the bottom... bob
Old 02-15-2018, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
I can understand your anger of course, and feel pretty much as you do, but we must clarify the situation.. I think there are only 7 or 8 of those licenses in the entire state of NJ, and from what I have read, they are no longer issuing them at any price.
Also read they were incredibly expensive when they were available... A few years back an older guy was selling his on a fishing site, and wanted like $50k... You would have to be out there an awful lot to make it pay.. I think most of the licenses still out there are owned by a few old timers and their families.. that doesn't help the situation of course.. Personally, I feel they do less damage with rod and reel than a dragger would do.. Killing every damn little one that gets netted, along with everything else on the bottom... bob

They issued a brand new pin hooker license to a guy for Shark River last spring

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
Couldn't agree more with you Al.
Some of the best fluke fishing of the year is early, and right at the end of the dock. It was a long standing family tradition of ours to catch, clean, and prepare fluke for Easter dinner. Now we get to stand at the end of the dock and watch a few pin hookers take their 500lbs a day in a matter of hours. It is aggravating and unjust.
I wouldn’t go so far to say it is quite like that. I know those guys that have the licenses and I promise if they get 75lbs a day that is a good day and it’s only a few weeks in may. It amazes me we are still here trying to fight other fisherman. I want my piece instead of the other guy routine. Very sad in 2018 with the advancement in science and fisheries management that we’re still reading this garbage
Old 02-17-2018, 12:19 PM
dakota560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmarguy View Post
I wouldn’t go so far to say it is quite like that. I know those guys that have the licenses and I promise if they get 75lbs a day that is a good day and it’s only a few weeks in may. It amazes me we are still here trying to fight other fisherman. I want my piece instead of the other guy routine. Very sad in 2018 with the advancement in science and fisheries management that we’re still reading this garbage
What advancements in science and fisheries management are we talking about here? Nothing's changed in the last twenty or more years other than reducing catch quotas through increased size limits and or reduced possession limits and shortened seasons. It's failed and will continue to fail. NMFS claimed the stock rebuilt in '09 and did an about face a year or two later. They hide their incompetence behind the shield of the federal government and MSA. What people have issues with is if the fishery is struggling, why should buying a license entitle a select few to harvest that resources which is off limits to the general public. They don't own the resource yet profit from it because they can. I'm not against someone making a living, I am against a resource that belongs to all of us being awarded to the highest bidder.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Here's my take on this and on our society as a whole... Everyone wants instant gratification . You get it online, you get it on TV or from Amazon. Couple that with the fact that there is little to no accountability anymore and we're at the point where we don't even keep score for kids baseball games because someone's feelings might be hurt...

I have a point here so bear with me

We didn't get in the predicament we are in with our fisheries overnight and it's going to take some time to get out of it. It's also going to take people to continue the fight, not just when the crappy regs come out but committed long term. We also need to hold people and organizations accountable.

Everyone is quick to say this needs to be done or that needs to be done. Look in the mirror and ask yourself what have you done??

Get involved and be part of the solution or you if you choose, you can sit on the sidelines and blame others when things don't go your way.

Stepping off my soap box here now

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 02-19-2018, 08:30 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Here's my take on this and on our society as a whole... Everyone wants instant gratification . You get it online, you get it on TV or from Amazon. Couple that with the fact that there is little to no accountability anymore and we're at the point where we don't even keep score for kids baseball games because someone's feelings might be hurt...

I have a point here so bear with me

We didn't get in the predicament we are in with our fisheries overnight and it's going to take some time to get out of it. It's also going to take people to continue the fight, not just when the crappy regs come out but committed long term. We also need to hold people and organizations accountable.

Everyone is quick to say this needs to be done or that needs to be done. Look in the mirror and ask yourself what have you done??

Get involved and be part of the solution or you if you choose, you can sit on the sidelines and blame others when things don't go your way.

Stepping off my soap box here now
IMO a big part of the problem is the For Hire sector is lazy and wants everyone else to do it for them.
There are a few for hire capts here that have busted their ass while all the rest of them sit and watch.
when guys who earn a living off the ocean ALL get involved the rest of the RECS will be more to get in line.
The showing we had both times in Washington, as well as the fluke meetings spoke volumes,
NOT ENOUGH GUYS THERE , to even make an impression that enough guys care.
Writing emails that for the most part just get an automatic reply sent back shows they are not cutting it.
PUBLIC displays of guys showing up and OVER FILLING the meetings would get 10 times the press and attention

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club