NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fixing spinning reels?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 01-13-2017, 10:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Fixing spinning reels??

I've had a few problems with a few reels in the past and every problem on each reel I had to fix I make feasible until I run into the only problem that stops me...The axle. It's the bolt that comes out of the reel and holds the spool in place. The drag still works perfect via the cap on top of the spool, but the axle won't reciprocate up and down to evenly distribute the line onto the spool. 2 out of 3 of the reels will kind of lock up after about 2 turns. Now I have 3 reels that are in purgatory until I can make a decision. Any suggestions or info for diy options or should I scrap em? Thanks for any info guys!!
Old 01-13-2017, 10:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fixing spinning reels??

Might want to post make and models. Some of the tackle shops due reel repairs and they might be able to tell you if they are worth fixing.

WAKE THE SLEEPING DOG
Old 01-14-2017, 11:21 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Take a look at alantani.com. Everything you want to know about fixing reels, and then some. There's a good chance of photo tutorials on your specific reels. (I hope posting the link is okay.)
Old 01-14-2017, 06:56 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANO View Post
Might want to post make and models. Some of the tackle shops due reel repairs and they might be able to tell you if they are worth fixing.
If it can catch me a fish after a repair, it's worth fixing. I just wanna try it myself and if feasible I'll be able to rescue the others i have...and more that I bet I'll have to jazz with.
Mike...thanks for the link, it's actually a nifty lil site for DIY'ers. Crazy coincidence as well, but I know of two gents with that same website name. Gonna look into that more & definitely gonna use that site!! Thanks!! In the mean time, will still take any suggestions if ya got em fellaz.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:04 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sent you a PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Just checked my pm box, don't think it sent.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

It locks up completely? Or just sticks bad? Most common problems in general will be the old grease gumming up and making the 'boot' that slides stick bad before changing directions or gear teeth worn down or a broken tooth in there somewhere. Another common problem is that a piece involved in the motion maybe just slightly loose, might be hard to notice.
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-15-2017, 11:45 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Locks up completely, even after clicking the reverse button and reeling backwards. Gonna have to open them one by one and check the guts. If and when I'm done with the repairs, I'll be sure to post any results... positive or negative.

Just finished doing a repair on an old Browning reel I've had to put on the DL for a while. This one was a little tough. While we use strong braided line and catch sizeable fish, the strength from both put enough pressure on the line to literally saw a crevice into my lineroller. Didn't notice till it was too late and lost fish from the line cutting in the crevice when trying to set a hook. That was over 2 years ago. After not hearing good things from some nearby shops about them not being able to repair it, threw it on the back burner. While browsing around home depot one day I found some type of brushing or something in the shelving isle I believe. It was about 1 1/2" long and tapered outwards on one end. Now I took that and filed both ends down. The already tapered end I filed just enough to sit snug on the bail piece where the line would be touching it first. The other side I filed down the bulk till it was less than about 1/4”. Once I had the length, I took a cone shaped drill bit(the only thing I could find handy that was solid & cone-shaped) and slightly banged it into the non-tapered end to taper the edge out. It worked, fit perfectly in my old Browning, packed on some heavy mono and threw around some heavy lures with no problems at all!! Niiiiice If I get around to it tomorrow, I'll try to post pics of the pieces.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:07 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

you probably made a better piece than the thing came with originally haha
https://www.instagram.com/chrisper_fishing/
https://www.facebook.com/mat.nelson.54
Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Here's pics from the lineroller on my Browning. 1st is the origal worn piece, 2nd is the repair.