NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Why do we tip the mates? - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Why do we tip the mates?

Mates...whether on a party boat or charter boat are sometimes the main reason you keep going back to the same boat. You end up seeing and talking to them more than most captains on a party boat too. They bust their ass all day in all kinds of weather and have to deal with the weekend warriors all summer. Tough tough job!
Old 07-07-2013, 08:30 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason162
We're almost exactly on the same page. I think 20% on the fare is pretty standard
Agreed. But I tend to lean on the higher side if I receive exceptional service. I once won a pool @ $275 on a bluefish trip out of belmar and gave 1/2 to the mate due to this. Depending on the size of the pool, I have given it all to them. Service...Service...Service.! I tend to tip well when warranted and sub-par if not which is usually the outlier and not the norm on the boats I usually fish on.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

This is a tuff and ugly subject but here is my 2 cents and I am not a fisherman - strictly googan

Everyone tips differently and have there own views of services rendered.

Personally on a party boat with the daily pool I generally give 20%-50% - really not a problem with me since I dont win them often

The other day I was on a half day boat and won the pool - it was really , really hot and fishing was real slow - I didnt think the mates were going to get tipped well so I gave them 60%. That is just me. (They worked there azzez off BTW for everyone)

These guys work hard and I feel they deserve it . Some dont

Standard is 18%-30% like any other service you receive - the better the service the bigger the tip.

Some people dont believe in tipping some do - is what it is - right , wrong or in-different - too each his own and I can only worry about what I do and how I treat other people - IMHO

Gdubs-

Last edited by GDubya07; 07-07-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunkertaker
Agreed. But I tend to lean on the higher side if I receive exceptional service. I once won a pool @ $275 on a bluefish trip out of belmar and gave 1/2 to the mate due to this. Depending on the size of the pool, I have given it all to them. Service...Service...Service.! I tend to tip well when warranted and sub-par if not which is usually the outlier and not the norm on the boats I usually fish on.
20% is a minimum on the fare, and pools...pools can be funny. I've nearly always split pools with mates, and most of my pools are under 100. I would say me personally, 1/3 of the pool at a minimum, usually half, at least on my regular boat.

The tip system is a strange one. On the one hand it supposedly encourages good service, but on the other hand you know that it's basically their wage.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:43 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I remember this guy on paramount...won the pool (think it was around 140 or 150) and tipped $14. He looked like a cheap prick to be honest.

$14.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Here is my 5 cents always tip your mates a minimum 20% of fare and 30 % of the fare. I hardly ever fish a charter or a party boat, but when I do I love the fact that I don't have to set up the stuff. Clean the boat, stop for bait etc etc the list of what they do is endless. All of you that own a boat and take people out fishing with you understand this all to well. I'm not sure that measuring one mate to another on any given day is a fair way to tip. I have some bad days that I don't feel well and still go to work not producing what I would like to. But to show up and not leave the capt and fisherman short handed is indeed worthy is a good tip. So please don't judge based on a single trip. These guys are hard WORKING people that put up with a lot of *******s sometimes twice a day. They are struggling to make a living instead of staying at home on government benefits. They do it for the love of it. They are entitled to a bad day here or there. My hat is off to you guys and thanks for all you do.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

The amount of the tip is based on the quality of the service rendered. The boats I frequent I go to because they are quality operation with stellar mates and deserve a standard 15% to 20% tips regardless if I caught fish or not. Very few incidences I walk off the boat w/o giving a tip because of the poor unprofessional or inexcusable service (very rare).
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

2 pages of big B/S......hate to say
Old 07-07-2013, 09:26 PM
dakota560

There's been many posts written about this and there's no single answer. Here's my perspective. Mates work hard to make our trips more productive and enjoyable. At least most do, an I'll get to that shortly. Remember these guys are working for a living and as someone pointed out I believe their hourly wage is low and a significant portion of their income is dependant on tips. That being said you should take care of them as best you can. Chances are unfortunately that the same people who leave a $5 tip on a $100 tab at a restaraunt are the same people who will walk of a boat without leaving the mate a thing. It's just the way some people unfortunately are. I always give as much as I can and if I hit the pool I'll give at least 20% depending on two things, the size of the pool and how good the mates are. At times I've given 50% or more of the pool to the mates because they deserved it. This however gets back to my earlier comment, almost all mates work their asses off and should be well taken care off. I have, which I would assume all of us have, experienced mates who think a tip is an entitlement and after doing absolutely nothing to deserve it throughout the trip had their hands out at the end. In those cases I've still given them something but truthfully I should have stiffed them. Again this is only in cases where clearly they didn't do anything to deserve a tip and truthfully the boat would have been better off without their presence. This is obviously a minority of cases but it does happen. My point is acknowledge these guys or gals are there to make a living and make your trip a pleasant experience so compensate them accordingly. Not everyone has the same means so there is no set answer but in general do the best you can and if your lucky enough to win the pool do something even better. If you frequent the same boat believe me they will not forget your generosity and it will be repaid many times over.

Truth be told, it seems like mating is an easy out in the sun job but let me tell you, and I have never mated, these folks work their asses off and their service deserves to be acknowledged by more than just a hand shake.

Dakota
Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I am of two different minds on this.. First off, I never allow the mates to clean fish.. I just prefer the way I do it.. The mates leave a lot of bones, only because they have to work REAL fast.. Second, I am adept at untangling lines, like any good fisherman, and its usually done before the mate is even close by..

If i snag, i can free it myself most of the time, if not its usually broken off before the mate gets there.

I suppose my feeling is this.. If I use the services of the mates, they should be tipped.. In other words, blues, fluke, stripers, weaks etc where they have to net or gaff fish, or really help out, sure they deserve some consideration.. however what about a ling or sea bass trip where you have no contact with any mate the entire day, other than giving them the fare, or when they put the first cup of clam snot near your rod?... Last 4 trips on head boats were all bottom trips, and to be honest, I personally didn't see much of the mates. I hate to say it, they were fishing most of time... I know they would have been there if I called, no question, but many head boat patrons are very self sufficient.. If they have NO contact with a mate on any given day, are they obligated to tip anyway? I know the mates cut the bait on the way out, and put it into containers, but is that really worth 20% of a $70 fare?? Just playing devils advocate here..
If I win a pool, I give a decent tip, and if I used their services I would as well, however, many times, I just don't see them around me on any given trip, and thats the truth..Last trip out, I had to shuck and cut my own clams up out of the bag, as did many of the other fares if they wanted fresh bait.. Sorry, I just don't always feel the need to tip, as the service doesn't always warrant it... Honestly what is it worth if the only contact you have with a mate during an entire day, is when he bends over near your rig, and places a container of clam snot on the deck???.. Is that really worth a 20 dollar bill?.. To me, it would be if the guy gaffed a dozen fish, untangled me a few times, tied a rig up for me, cleaned my fish etc, but I have only rarely gotten that level of service -and thats going back 40 years,, Truth be told, a lot of the mates[NOT all] seem much more interested in fishing alongside the fares than in providing memorable service to the fares.... bob

Last edited by bulletbob; 07-07-2013 at 10:04 PM..