NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Who eats delaware river catfish? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Who eats delaware river catfish?

i did a few times but stopped after reading the consumption advisory @ njfishsmarteatsmart.org; 4 meals a year is not really worth it. even Danny DeVito on Its Always Sunny mentioned their toxic, but he dont give a $#@%. plus they have worms in them. last 2 catfish i caught where skinny and some weird looking parasitic worms came out of its belly when i cut one open...cant belive i still ate it (nothing happened though)

i do however eat catfish (mostly bullheads) out of the D&R canal. the restrictions are a bit less and the fish seem healthier.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:49 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Who eats delaware river catfish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyangler17
i did a few times but stopped after reading the consumption advisory @ njfishsmarteatsmart.org; 4 meals a year is not really worth it. even Danny DeVito on Its Always Sunny mentioned their toxic, but he dont give a $#@%. plus they have worms in them. last 2 catfish i caught where skinny and some weird looking parasitic worms came out of its belly when i cut one open...cant belive i still ate it (nothing happened though)

i do however eat catfish (mostly bullheads) out of the D&R canal. the restrictions are a bit less and the fish seem healthier.
why not only live once! and they are not toxic they are endangered thats what gives em that special tang

Murr722@gmail.com

THE REIGNING, DEFENDING, PUT UP OR SHUT UP
CHAMPION

Put Up or Shut Up IX Prelims winner

If you don't like fish thats "fishy" eat chicken.

"theres a million fine looking women in the world dude,but they dont all buy you st. croixs for your birthday,most of them just yell at ya for fishing to much."

"Murray's Law: The uglier a fish is, the better it tastes." - Lard Almighty

LAB,always in our hearts & ears
Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Gotta love a good southern CATFIZZ FRY!!! Eat em all the time, just soak em in a lil JACK DANIELS.... and then cook em in a nice strong beer batter, maybe BASS ALE!!!! MMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD EATN!!!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:37 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyangler17
i did a few times but stopped after reading the consumption advisory @ njfishsmarteatsmart.org; 4 meals a year is not really worth it. even Danny DeVito on Its Always Sunny mentioned their toxic, but he dont give a $#@%. plus they have worms in them. last 2 catfish i caught where skinny and some weird looking parasitic worms came out of its belly when i cut one open...cant believe i still ate it (nothing happened though)

Man I haven't eaten a freshwater fish since landing in NJ over 11 yrs ago...Got kids and like you have read the consumption advisories Catch N Release ONLY...

For Game fish this is great +++ due to population and over fishing; however; for less sought after fish "cats" included that are end consumers of both live and dead fish in our lakes, ponds, and streams, are they the potential accumulators of toxins? Worms in the fish...oooouch sounds like catfish bait not dinner!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:46 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Should be okay to eat. Just don't eat any Coney Island Whitefish.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

If you saw that river in the 80's you wouldn't eat anything out of there. I live down by philly and the advisory is because of high mercury levels. But the central and northern parts of the river seem much clearer.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:02 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I have and I continue to (Easton area). Never saw a worm in one. When on rocky bottom, like it is around these parts, the meat is very firm and tasty. I don't eat Lehigh river cats due to the muddy bottom. They taste muddy.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

we have been eating catfish from the big D for 30 years very good tasty eating fish we only keep the fish from 16" to 20" range but we only need a couple to make a good meal! getting hungery thinking about them may go catfishing tonight!