NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Musconetcong Stocking? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 10-11-2017, 10:33 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Musconetcong Stocking?

I drove past some very popular trout spots this afternoon in the greater Hackettstown area and found the majority of them void of any fishermen. Today was a stocking day, right? Where was everyone? I had to find out why no one was fishing so I put on my boots, grabbed my rod and started fishing in those same popular spots to no avail. I didn't even see a fish no less catch one.

That was the case for some others with whom I spoke. Were a lot of spots just overlooked? I'm a good fisherman who adapts to the conditions but, no matter what, I couldn't raise a single trout. I'm sure trout were stocked today, and the amount of fish that went in was not that many fewer than the last stocking in the spring. So, why the disparity in stocking points?

Eventually, I'll find them but not until someone puts some water back in the streams and the trout settle in. BTW.......the sycamore hatch has started and I did notice a maple spinner fall late in the day before the showers.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Musconetcong Stocking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfish715 View Post
BTW.......the sycamore hatch has started and I did notice a maple spinner fall late in the day before the showers.
lol
Old 10-11-2017, 11:16 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Same thing happened to me last year. I was told they stock the same spots as the spring, but that was not the case with the Musky.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:15 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Since the fall-stocked trout are bigger than those stocked in the spring, there may be a philosophical difference of opinion about where trout should be released during the fall. My guess is that many of the stocking stops in the upper reaches of the Musky are ignored to save more of those bigger (and legal-sized) fish for the TCA which is farther downstream. If that's the case, I take offense. I know that the state and many individuals are campaigning for that particular TCA and one way to do it is to stock keeper-sized trout. It's only a theory and it may not be true or be able to prove, but it does make sense.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:48 AM
NJFishing.com Member

I was out yesterday managed to catch a few took these two home with me
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F514DAE6-7F90-4295-91E2-F2721684FFF3.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	117335  
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
I drove past some very popular trout spots this afternoon in the greater Hackettstown area and found the majority of them void of any fishermen. Today was a stocking day, right? Where was everyone? I had to find out why no one was fishing so I put on my boots, grabbed my rod and started fishing in those same popular spots to no avail. I didn't even see a fish no less catch one.

That was the case for some others with whom I spoke. Were a lot of spots just overlooked? I'm a good fisherman who adapts to the conditions but, no matter what, I couldn't raise a single trout. I'm sure trout were stocked today, and the amount of fish that went in was not that many fewer than the last stocking in the spring. So, why the disparity in stocking points?

Eventually, I'll find them but not until someone puts some water back in the streams and the trout settle in. BTW.......the sycamore hatch has started and I did notice a maple spinner fall late in the day before the showers.
"NOTE: Due to general low flow conditions some individual stocking points may not be stocked this fall. Stocking truck drivers will determine if each location has enough water to allow for stocking on the day of the run. If conditions do not allow for a point to be stocked, the fish allocated for that stocking point will be spread out among the other stocking points on that same river or stream as conditions allow. Please check the Updates for the latest information."

I understand the trucks might not know conditions til they get there but it would be helpful to know where they were able to stock.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Since the fall-stocked trout are bigger than those stocked in the spring, there may be a philosophical difference of opinion about where trout should be released during the fall. My guess is that many of the stocking stops in the upper reaches of the Musky are ignored to save more of those bigger (and legal-sized) fish for the TCA which is farther downstream. If that's the case, I take offense. I know that the state and many individuals are campaigning for that particular TCA and one way to do it is to stock keeper-sized trout. It's only a theory and it may not be true or be able to prove, but it does make sense.
anybody see an allocation table for the fall? http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/trt_a...on17_dates.htm
Old 10-12-2017, 12:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I'm sure the drivers have information about stocking points and the number of nets to be put in for all of them. So, that does not appear to be etched in stone since it seems the number of trout to be stocked at any point is up to the driver. He can also decide where they will or will not be stocked.

Are there any volunteers on this board? I'm sure there are. I wish you will weigh in. I understand why there are reported caravans of anglers following the trucks during the stocking process. With the low water conditions, if you are not close to where the fish were put in it's very unlikely you'll catch anything.

I still can't accept that there are places on the Musconetcong that don't have enough water for trout to be stocked and that the decision to stock or not is strictly up to the driver.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
I'm sure the drivers have information about stocking points and the number of nets to be put in for all of them. So, that does not appear to be etched in stone since it seems the number of trout to be stocked at any point is up to the driver. He can also decide where they will or will not be stocked.

Are there any volunteers on this board? I'm sure there are. I wish you will weigh in. I understand why there are reported caravans of anglers following the trucks during the stocking process. With the low water conditions, if you are not close to where the fish were put in it's very unlikely you'll catch anything.

I still can't accept that there are places on the Musconetcong that don't have enough water for trout to be stocked and that the decision to stock or not is strictly up to the driver.
jeez, come on man, it's fishing, you're supposed to work for it. you want to just go pick your guaranteed trout up at the hatchery? i'm all for the drivers using their discretion to spread the fish around best. IMO i don't think they should even announce the stocking days/routes, just the number of fish to be stocked and the stocking area boundaries.

"if you are not close to where the fish were put in it's very unlikely you'll catch anything"
like 99% of the posts on this board contradict that
Old 10-12-2017, 12:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I spent a good couple of hours both Tuesday and yesterday watching trout not being caught