NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

blackfish rigs - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJ Fishing.com Fishing Tips Share your tips on fishing here.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: blackfish rigs

Check out my website you will find three versions of the rigs --used by some of the best tog captains and fisherman in our area ..famous belmar captains rigs

www.palmersbucktails.com
EMAIL:
anthonyspalmer@gmail.com
Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Helpful to know if you're fishing the jetty or from a boat. Rigs are different.
Old 10-31-2013, 03:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

SLIDER HOOK!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:03 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

No swivels. No slider hooks. All that extra crap is just more stuff for the divers to clean house on in the wrecks. I use 60lb power pro with a 40lb top shot tied with an Albright knot. Top shot is about 2x the length of my 8ft rod and 3-4 cranks around the reel. Tie a loop at the end of the top shot for sinker and a few inches up attach my snelled size 3 Virginia hooks. No dropper loops no double hooks. Just a simple single hook rig works every time. (When the fish want to chew that is)
Old 07-22-2014, 04:58 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Last year I used a wind on leaders [by basil or jak ass. found him on ebay] tie a spider hitch and do a loop to loop connection they come in 25 feet. I use 40 lbs test easy to work with [the advantage I have found if you brake off or chafe the line it is easy and fast to rerig you have 25 ft of leader] , snell a 3/0 hook and tie a loop for the sinker and tie the leader from the hook 3 or 4 inches up from the sinker. there are many ways to use the hook set add a slider hook or use a snafu rig. By the way some days I am a sharpie and some days I am novice depends on the tog
Old 11-09-2014, 08:10 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Great tips!
Old 11-10-2014, 05:20 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Smile Re: blackfish rigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Kojak View Post
Iam no sharpie either, but I have been fishing for blackfish for a lot of years. First, snell a 3.0 mustad beaked hook onto about a 18 in. florcarbon leader. Next tie about 10' of 40 lb. leader material to 65 lb power pro main line using a double uni-knot. At the end of the leader tie a 6"-8" loop. Half way up this loop, tie on your snell hook. The loop is for your sinker. Before you tie on your snelled hook, slide a second hook down to the snelled hook. This is called a slider hook rig. You have to keep your rigs simple. No metal except for the hook and sinker. No swivels, snaps jigs, etc. This rig always worked for me, and I hope it works for you.

Bobby Kojak

P.S. You might want to fish on the Ocean Explorer out of Belmar. A great boat, Captain and Mates..........
Maybe you're not a sharpie but I've seen you imitate one a few times.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: blackfish rigs

What Kurtis said!

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 12-28-2014, 07:27 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Keep it simple. No swivels. 65lb braid tied to 50 or 60 leader with no name knot. Use snafu for fishing whole baits or single rig for half baits. I don't like the slider rig because that sliding hook will damage and weaken your leader.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:17 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

I'm definately on the side of no additional hardware. More to loose, more to get snagged and no real benefit to swivels or sinker slider or snaps.

Join your braided line to your top shot using a Uni to Uni or Alberto knot. I prefer the Albeto knot... Easier to tie and it has a lower profile than the uni so it goes through the rod eyes easier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J56O3CZVu7M

Take the last foot or so of your top shot and double it with a double overhand knot at the top. Put your sinker on that loop.

Make a loop 4 inches or so above your sinker and attached your pre snelled hook with a pre tied loop on to it to that loop. Now take your sinker and the line coming out of it and tie a double overhand knot around your hook loop to keep it in place.

This makes it very easy to re tie rigs when you eventually get snagged and break off.

I like using as stiff leader as possible for the hook leader since it helps keep the hook line away from your main line and tangling back up on it.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 12-29-2014 at 01:59 PM..