NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Dams on the Raritan - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 05-18-2017, 08:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Dams on the Raritan

I understand that the state wants to clear them out.
I also understand that the state has done a great job taking them down so far and wants to continue.

But what is the deal with the Duke island park dam?

This seems to be one of the bigger ones, I understand that it doesn't just take a days job to take it down properly. But this dam has been on the waiting list for a while now.

Today I've seen dozens of shad roaming around the Duke island dam, in schools of 4 to 8. I'd think opening this dam up would be a blessing to the shad fishery. (Not sure about the trout that love that oxygenated water!)

Let's say Duke island's is taken down. What other dams are there up stream that need to be dealt with? It would be neat if they focus on trying to get one headwater connected to the ocean damless.

If anyone has information on dam removal process, post it, I'd like to read up on that.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Dams on the Raritan

There's a pipeline running through the dam! Couple million bucks will get it taken down! You good for it????
Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTEDDIE29 View Post
There's a pipeline running through the dam! Couple million bucks will get it taken down! You good for it????
I heard the pipeline was originally for irrigation to Duke farms. Still in use or are there new pipes that just took over its spot?

Sounds like a 2nd ladder is coming up
Old 05-18-2017, 11:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Yorke sounds like you had somw fun surrounded by all those shad....Good man seeing all those shad and not targeting them. .Good RR angler.
We should meet up some time..
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat77 View Post
Yorke sounds like you had somw fun surrounded by all those shad....Good man seeing all those shad and not targeting them. .Good RR angler.
We should meet up some time..
Yep... Just toss me a pm I'll be out Sunday maybe
Old 05-19-2017, 02:58 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Problem is anything swimming up river has to squeeze thru the fish ladder. Supposedly the Millstone/Raritan confluence dam where the ladder is creates a basin for the water company so as far as I know it's not going anywhere. There was a discussion about making a 'bypass' to allow more fish upstream but I haven't heard anything about it recently, Andy would probably know more.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Thinking about this brings up some questions..
If they remove the Head Gate damn or put in a ladder, that puts these migrating fish in the north and south branch. Does the idea of migrating Lampre getting close to Spruce Run or when Spruce Runs water levels go back up lampre in Spruce Run sound good?? Lampre feeding on hybrids, or the Lm bass, and all the other trophy fish the state has spent so much time and money on would have big time negative effects. I dont know if with high water levels anything could get into Round Valley but with a open Raritan River and dams removed in the S. and N. Branch again Lampre would be close.
I Don't know much about the N.Branch and what lakes or resiviors are upstream.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:38 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Lightbulb Re: Dams on the Raritan

You can watch Lamprey go over dams quite easy actually. They inch along using their suction power. I don't think these are the harmful lamprey either. The Musconetcong river even has Lamprey. These are river Lamprey, nothing to get excited about.
In terms of dams the Raritan has done quite well in the last few years, 3 dams removed is impressive to say the least.
There are no less than 8 dams on the South Branch and the North Branch has 2, one is breached now.

There was talk of putting a fish ladder at Duke falls but one non working fish ladder seemed to be enough. The Headgates dam get it's name from the 1800's when that dam was actually a huge gate that they would open in the spring so migrating fish could pass. Seems like they cared more about migrating fish in 1800's than they do now. The Headgates dam has a sewer line running through it. That dam was supposed to be about 20 ft. taller and a storage lake built to hold water. With ever increasing population in this area guess what, they may still make that dam 20 ft. taller and build a water storage facility .
Old 05-19-2017, 06:13 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Good info Andy...I learned alot on that post..very cool. I was basing my thoughts on the lamprey that were invading the great lakes and targeting such fish as lake trout. They were N. Atlantic lamprey, and I thought the lamprey coming up the Raritan were N. Atlantic lamprey as well.
I have seen them sunctioned tight to the H.G dam I didn't know they could get over it.