NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Fall striped bass gear - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Default Fall striped bass gear

This is my first year owning a boat. I must say its an awesome feeling. I'm starting to prepare for the fall bass run and would like to know what I should have on my boat as far as tackle. From rod and reels to lures. I want to try trolling as well. I don't need the most expensive but I don't want junk either. Thanks for the pointers guys in advance.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Fall striped bass gear

The last few falls the bass have been feeding mainly on sand eels. The best way to get them when they are feeding on sand eels is using diamond jigs or lures like RonZ.

As far as rods and reels go, I am having a special on Seeker Inshore Lites. These are a great inshore rod that are ideal for jigging bass, as well as fishing for sea bass, blackfish and fluke. Normally they start at $325 but until the end of the month they are just $275.

As far as reels there are many solid choices out there. Daiwa saltist, shimano torium, avet six, mx are all good performers and will handle any bass out there. Fishing the private boat I prefer to use braided line. 30# is fine for bass but if you want to use the outfit for bottom fishing as well I would go with 50#.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Fall striped bass gear

You will have 100 different answers here and none of them are going to be wrong!

We have just introduced a line of rods that are multi purpose rods. Each model is designed to be used for multiple fishing conditions. Ex: our JCT Combo Rod is a parabolic Jig - Chunk - Troll Rod, that has replaced the need for 3 different rods on many recreational and charter boats this season. This one rod, allows you to fish all 3 types of fishing...

We are rolling out the newest models, in 7' & 6'8" sizes, that are the same thing for inshore fishing such as striped bass. These newest rods are great for jigging & trolling, as well as feeding chunks or live lining bunker. ( bunker spoon rods are a specialty rod, but these rods are pretty dam close on the action for trolling spoons too. ) This is just a suggestion, because it sounds like your buying tackle for the boat, so something like this may save you money don the road, with needing less rods to do all of your fishing. We warranty our rods for life!

As far as general tackle, look to get some Krocodiles, Ava Jigs, rubber shads, snag rigs for the live bunker, Stretch 25 lures, spoons and similar tackle.

Reels..... your going to want to be in that 3/0 size for bass.

Do you have any specific questions??