NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Who introduced you to fishing? - Page 5 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:05 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Who introduced you to fishing?

My dad and I would go snapper and fluke fishing in
A 14 ft Starcraft with a 25 evinrude. We used to
Hammer them near mantoloking bridge. And our anual
Greenwood lake trip, I think we caught 1 bass a year !

Good times
Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Who introduced you to fishing?

Great topic Max, this is sure to be a best of, somewhat of a tear jerker at first for me ,but thanks for asking! This brought up some real good memories: great question,topic, I bet this will be here for a while!! Tear jerkin Biatch!!!
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 12-13-2013, 10:24 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

My Dad...took me on a PB out of AC in 1944, I think...some of the guys asked the capt if we weren't going out too far..afraid that a u-boat might blow us up...it got rough in the PM as the wind picked up and one guy got seasick, every time he'd throw up, he'd pull up a fish..someone said he was chumming--after a couple of fish, I asked my dad if he thought it'd be a good idea if we chummed---that got a big laugh...what did I know, I was 7. Still remember that trip as if it was yesterday...
Later on, we went fishing off the bulkead in Ventnor's bay with hand lines..caught my first fish, a small fluke..we didn't have a cooler(box) so it went under a bush out of the sun. Went to get it at the end only to find the SOB who also was fishing there had taken it and was long gone...that was one of "life's lessons" learned....
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

DFish, I agree and I love reading everyone's post. As we can all see and most of us already know, fishing for the most part is a family tradition and part of our heritage. Introduce a kid to fishing and if they stick with it, they'll remember you forever. Happy Holidays
Old 12-14-2013, 09:54 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

totally agree Max. growing up in Neptune its sad to see what many of these kids have to deal with I couldnt believe the gang thing had such a hold on so many in so few years of not being around there every day. we need to step up to the plate and change some mindset. it is truly upsetting to hear the road that many of our next generation are taking. If I had the money I would run a free "inner cities" party boat just to show more of our youth the light. Try to change the downhill to an uphill.
www.quality1stcompanies.com
Old 12-14-2013, 12:09 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Wow, this is all really precious. Love reading every one.

For me, no one around me fished but I just had an innate desire to fish. My father or mother would drive me to the lake and let me do my thing which I'd read up on in books and magazines. Once I started driving, I would go and learn from folks at the water. This is all freshwater fishing around Chicago.

Here in jersey, I did a lot of Internet recon and just learned from folks on the party boats, surf, and wherever I came across friendly knowledgeable people to get proficient in saltwater fishing.

Good thread.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:04 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

For me it was my Dad. He took me and my brothers to Sandy Hook at an early age to learn how to surf fish. We did not catch much, but we learned how to use our thumbs casting or undo a birds nest. The best part was stopping at Stewart's on the way home!!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

My Dad. Grew up in Garfield and back then it was OK for dads to bring their kids to the bar to hang out. Everyone either hunted,fished or both. Used to go on bus trips with him to Point Judith cod fishing. One trip at 12 years old I got so sick but caught a 21 lb cod, which for me was huge, so it made up for being sick. That was the last time I ever got sick on a boat and got me addicted to saltwater fishing.

Growing up we fished on friends boats either bluefishing or flukin off Sandy Hook. We had our own and used to crab in Barnegat all the time.

Finally in 93 I got my own boat and returned the favor by taking him and his friends fishing. He fished for a few more years until his legs started giving out on him and it was too much to be on a rockin boat. After that he always wanted a fishing report as soon as I got home (pre cell phone days). Miss him much!
Old 12-15-2013, 12:52 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

My dad. Started fishing in 1986 on Lake Hopatcong with a 1969 Glastron (dad bought the boat 2 weeks after I was born - no idea how he pulled that one off) and then bought an ocean going boat in 1994 which we still have today. Fish just about every weekend in the Raritan bay during the summer.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cool Re: Who introduced you to fishing?

My Grandfather. He got me started when I was about 7. We would go out to the east end of L.I almost every weekend to fish for Flounder,Fluke and Codfish. Damn do I miss him!