NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Party boat tuna tackle question - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 06-13-2017, 05:10 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

Just my 2 cents based upon owning 4 Avet reels. Even though the ones I own are not the models you are considering. I have to say that Avet`s for the most part are crap, I wouldn't spend another dime on them. Like most I was attracted to the machine tooled look and that they were made in the USA, but they have a well documented history of the bearings going on them and the company is well aware of it. I have spent hundreds of dollars servicing them over the years.....These reels are not cheap and there are definitely better options for the money.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:40 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

So if you have 200yds. of mono and you get a tangle your done.Cut it off and respool.Mono with floro leader is all you need.

100 Ton Master
Semi Retired
Old 06-14-2017, 05:13 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

50 W with 60# mono is all the reel u should ever need , two speed ? For what ?
If they dump 5 to 600 yds of line ur in trouble , 80's too heavy for SU unless in a cockpit boat ! I never quite bought the 2 spd deal after using several over the years .
Most can't even stand up to a 50 w drag , fish under 150# 30 W with proper rod
Will land 90%! Of fish out their !
Braid backing save ur money !
Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Smile Re: Party boat tuna tackle question

I would agree on the 50 w with 60, but I like having 80lb test depending on fish size and ability to handle the fish especially on a Headboat. I have a couple 2 speeds and have to say really liked them. Especially for the last 50 ft when they get stubborn near the boat. I have a penn 50 tw I purchases in 1986 when the BACARDI was hot and caught a ton on it. Now I use the 50sw as my first choice!!!

BC
Old 06-14-2017, 10:30 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumster View Post
Just my 2 cents based upon owning 4 Avet reels. Even though the ones I own are not the models you are considering. I have to say that Avet`s for the most part are crap, I wouldn't spend another dime on them. Like most I was attracted to the machine tooled look and that they were made in the USA, but they have a well documented history of the bearings going on them and the company is well aware of it. I have spent hundreds of dollars servicing them over the years.....These reels are not cheap and there are definitely better options for the money.
Sell them to me!
The smaller SX/MX (which I'm assuming your ref to) are completely different animals then the larger HX/EX stuff. Their offshore lineup has been time tested and is right up there with Penn Internationals, Shimano Tiagra's, etc.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:24 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

So are you guys saying braid with a top shot or just plain mono
Old 06-15-2017, 10:46 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle7683 View Post
So are you guys saying braid with a top shot or just plain mono
I run braid with a 200 yd topshot, other's run straight mono. Personally, I like the braid, that way should I hook into the big sword or bigeye, I have the capacity that will give me a shot at landing it.

Part of the decision will come from your wallet. Hollowcore braid is not cheap, but can last you 7-10 years, depending how much fishing you do.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 06-18-2017, 07:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAC1980 View Post
Sell them to me!
The smaller SX/MX (which I'm assuming your ref to) are completely different animals then the larger HX/EX stuff. Their offshore lineup has been time tested and is right up there with Penn Internationals, Shimano Tiagra's, etc.
sent you a pm
Old 06-20-2017, 05:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

50W with 80# test momoi or higher quality mono with smaller diameter compared to the cheap stuff. No braid period don't waste your money by putting braid on a chunking rod. You can go with 60# if you like but 80# is preferred on a party boat especially WHEN they go under the boat.

We all need to remember that leader selection is key during night vs day and that 80# test will only benefit if a larger fish is hooked i.e. Bigeye or swordfish.

I personally use Daiwa 50W 2 speed spooled with 80# momoi mono and have had much success with this setup. 2 speed came in real handy for swordfish last year still waiting for the bigeye 😉. Save the braid for your jigging rod, the mates and fishermen next to you will appreciate fishing vs untangling braid during a blitz.

"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths"