NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

copolymer - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Bait and Tackle Talk Use this board to talk about Bait and Tackle and see offers from our Bait and Tackle Sponsors

Old 12-20-2017, 06:39 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: copolymer

update on conditioned Izorline 27035 Platinum Co-Polymer Mono Line, 8 lb, clear on KastKing Mela Spinning Reel mounted on Daiwa EXE701MLXS Medium Light Action Exceler Spinning Rod (1-Piece), 7-Feet.

Used four times, line lays flat and still throws good distances but today it developed a complicated wind knot (pulled out but left area wavy) also starting to notice twisted sections, ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knot.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	120142  

Last edited by tycomps; 12-21-2017 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-21-2017, 04:51 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

ya those wind knots could be a pain. usually caused from slack line being wound on top of it. honestly I close my bail by hand a lot of times and , especially in a stiff wind, once the bail is closed ill grab the line above the reel and pull it tight . also line conditioner may help. reel magic or kvd brands are two I have used but im sure there are others.

if its wavy after it pulls out the line has been weakend so clip and re tie
Old 12-21-2017, 06:16 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

What type of lure u throwing? I have noticed that I get twists with lures that you wouldn't normally think. Tubes Ned rigs and drop shots come to mind.

Try stretching out the line. Much easier in a boat. Let out just the line at idle speed for a couple hundred feet close the bail and "troll" with it for a distance then reel it in while still moving. Usually gets them out.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:20 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riz View Post
ya those wind knots could be a pain. usually caused from slack line being wound on top of it. honestly I close my bail by hand a lot of times and , especially in a stiff wind, once the bail is closed ill grab the line above the reel and pull it tight . also line conditioner may help. reel magic or kvd brands are two I have used but im sure there are others.

if its wavy after it pulls out the line has been weakend so clip and re tie
line is conditioned and I do close bail manually. I assumed knot occurred away from rod but now that I think of it I think I noticed it going thru guides casting not retrieving so it may have happened when a gust blew back at me. I'll try pinching the line above the reel on slack casts but I wonder why it's twisting further down too. I've found I can't troll copolymer without a ball bearing swivel, line twists/knots/and tip loops were why I stopped using copolymer before.

Last edited by tycomps; 12-22-2017 at 09:03 AM..
Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSquatch View Post
What type of lure u throwing? I have noticed that I get twists with lures that you wouldn't normally think. Tubes Ned rigs and drop shots come to mind.

Try stretching out the line. Much easier in a boat. Let out just the line at idle speed for a couple hundred feet close the bail and "troll" with it for a distance then reel it in while still moving. Usually gets them out.
It was a jerkbait but that's interesting, I usually hit a field with new line, let it all out (with a rock weighing down the end until I pull the empty line free when it's all out) and reel it back in squeezing with a rag (soaked with conditioner for copolymer) to get it as straight as possible when I can't do the boat thing but I didn't do that this time. I'll try that too but I don't get this stuff with mono or fluoro. It's a shame cuz I like the way the copolymer throws, it's sensitivity, and invisibility. It doesn't really nick on me fishing structure like others have mentioned either.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:40 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1010 View Post
My experience is different. The stuff is small diameter and soft, which has its advantages, but it nicks easily, and a nick in that small diameter creates a significant weak spot.
that's why I pulled it off my 4 and 6# rods and went with the conditioned 8# izor for the test.