NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Cormorants - Page 3 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Cormorants

how about just relocate them to Passaic?

Rob
Old 04-24-2014, 10:11 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

I love all you guys on here and have learned so much from ya'll, so I'm shocked that some ya'll can't see the forest from the trees.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

gspdark1 ,would you care to elaborate on your statement ?
Old 04-24-2014, 06:44 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Cormorants are common to wetlands all over North America. They are not an introduced species like LMB, snakeheads, or feral pigs. Those animals are all the fault of human beings, and while the LMB has found a niche with sportsmen (the very reason it was introduced), the others are certainly not to be taken lightly. However, they are very different from a species that is just annoying like the cormorants.

Feral pigs were used for comparison in this thread. They tear up farms, attack pets, destroy property, and breed at a prodigious rate. They have become a problem because humans allowed them to become a problem. Cormorants are just making a living. They are a wild animal doing what wild animals all over the world do: eating, and making more little wild animals. The trout stocking program provides a great deal of entertainment for many sportsmen, but it is just that: entertainment.

These birds are a natural and essential part of the ecosystem. Are they breeding in greater numbers than usual? Possibly. Are they a detriment to their environment? Not that I am aware of. The trout are stocked for you to have fun. The suggestion that these birds should be evicted from their natural habitats because they are feeding on your hobby is a little bit disappointing. As fishermen, we should be preserving the environment in every way possible, not exterminating an animal for the sake of convenience.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Well put 1089 ....
Old 04-24-2014, 07:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
Then make them buy a Trout stamp like the rest have too.
Trout stocking was not meant to be a free lunch for wild animals.
Ever see the signs that say "don't feed the birds"?
As much as I I like to see wild animals in the wild, I don't think that the Fish Game supplying them their dinner is doing them or fisherman any good,
The more sensible solution is to stop stocking the trout. What ecological purpose does it serve? The birds have always been there; they are not a new species. They are just taking advantage of something that humans are doing, and getting themselves food with the smallest possible effort: the goal of every wild thing with a growling stomach.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH1089 View Post
The more sensible solution is to stop stocking the trout. What ecological purpose does it serve? The birds have always been there; they are not a new species. They are just taking advantage of something that humans are doing, and getting themselves food with the smallest possible effort: the goal of every wild thing with a growling stomach.
These birds have not always been in NJ. Also trout are not the only fish these birds eat in large numbers. (Eskimo posted pics in an earlier thread that shows they eat just about anything) I never said let's wipe them off the face of the earth. However, they are a problem to many states across the country and Canada. It's not just a Jersey thing. Also the reason I used the feral pig as a comparison is Cormorants do cause damage to trees shrubs and vegetation. This is due to the large amount of guano/shit they produce. The pigs may be more destructive.....but you yourself said humans allowed them to become a problem. So all I'm saying is control the numbers before it's to late.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassload View Post
These birds have not always been in NJ. Also trout are not the only fish these birds eat in large numbers. (Eskimo posted pics in an earlier thread that shows they eat just about anything) I never said let's wipe them off the face of the earth. However, they are a problem to many states across the country and Canada. It's not just a Jersey thing. Also the reason I used the feral pig as a comparison is Cormorants do cause damage to trees shrubs and vegetation. This is due to the large amount of guano/shit they produce. The pigs may be more destructive.....but you yourself said humans allowed them to become a problem. So all I'm saying is control the numbers before it's to late.
I did see the pictures. However, none of these species are endangered in any way, and I have yet to see evidence of damage caused by cormorant droppings in my own outings.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:35 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH1089 View Post
I did see the pictures. However, none of these species are endangered in any way, and I have yet to see evidence of damage caused by cormorant droppings in my own outings.
Exactly! Not "yet" I can't make it any easier for you to understand. Go research it on Google.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:57 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Pedro View Post
gspdark1 ,would you care to elaborate on your statement ?
ATH1089 pretty much said it for me. We can't replace one species in favor of one we (as humans) prefer. It's up to us to be both sportsmen and conservationists.
Closed Thread