NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Ramapo Lake Info? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 09-27-2012, 12:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Ramapo Lake Info?

I am heading up to Newburgh NY this Saturday for my sons cross country meet and looking for a place to stop on the way back to do a little fishing from shore. Anybody know how to access Ramapo Lake or any information on it? Never been there.

Open to other suggestions off 287 up that way as well.

Thanks,
Ken
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Ramapo Lake Info?

Ramapo lake in Mawah? It is off Rt. 202 a few miles away from Ramapo College. The park is called The Ramapo Reservation.
The bottom lake holds pan fish, bass, and trout if you can find em.
The top lake which gets far less fisihg pressure holds the same.
The river you will cross prior to enteriong the park is stocked prety good with trout however I dont know if the fall stocking took place yet. It does hold over trout.
Cross the foot bridge and make a quick right and fish the pools under and around the bridge.
OR
Cross the foot bridge and make a left. Walk past the bend and it gets deep. 10 feet or so.
G/L
Old 09-27-2012, 03:11 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Ramapo Lake is located up in the Ramapo Mountain State Forest in Oakland. You have to hike to it. There are 2 parking lots off Skyline Drive, one at the bottom and one at the top of Skyline Dr. The hike up from the lower lot is easier, takes about 15-20 minutes to hike up there. LM, Crappie, Picky Lake. Lots of shore access.
The lake off 202 in the Ramapo Reservation in Mahwah is called Scarlet Oak Pond. Way easier to access but way more pressure. You got the Ramapo River flowing through right there also. River rat smallies have been pretty active in the River in certain pools from the Doty Rd Bridge in Oakland to the NY State line.

Last edited by ScowardNJ; 09-27-2012 at 03:17 PM..
Old 09-27-2012, 03:41 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

you can also fish Potash Lake in Oakland on West Oakland Ave. The Ramapo River runs into it and this lake empties out into Pompton Lake. Lots of Bass in there.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Off Route 202 in that same area is Bear Swamp Road. There is a parking lot on the other side of the Ramapo River, by a small creek. That creek has native brook trout in it. Nothing big, but they are in almost every hole. Fishing is artificials only.
Cause on a day like today there's one place I gotta be:
GONE FISHIN'

Fishing with LardAlmighty on YouTube
Old 09-27-2012, 06:58 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Wow great information guys...thanks alot. I'm "working from home" tomorrow so I will defiitely map out those spots and maybe try to hit a couple of them.

Thanks Again.
Ken
Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Old Soft Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcritch
I am heading up to Newburgh NY this Saturday for my sons cross country meet and looking for a place to stop on the way back to do a little fishing from shore. Anybody know how to access Ramapo Lake or any information on it? Never been there.

Open to other suggestions off 287 up that way as well.

Thanks,
Ken
Also there is Shepard's lake state park. Free after Labor day.
Good luck
Old 09-28-2012, 03:56 PM
NJFishing.com Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard Almighty
Off Route 202 in that same area is Bear Swamp Road. There is a parking lot on the other side of the Ramapo River, by a small creek. That creek has native brook trout in it. Nothing big, but they are in almost every hole. Fishing is artificials only.

Better bring your hiking shoes for that creek... Awesome fishing spot though. A lot of Native Brookies in there. The color on them are amazing...
Old 09-28-2012, 04:18 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I've had better action with pickerel than bass at Ramapo Lake. Rarely been skunkere there. The trail that goes around the lake offers good shore access and you usually have at least some degree of peace and quiet. I've done very well with bass at Scarlet Oak Pond, the first lake on the Reservation, but the place quickly becomes swamped with walk-joggers and dog-walkers.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:41 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Ive fished Ramapo Lake a few times and always have had good luck with largemouth Bass but the hike to get to the lake just isnt worth it IMHO... I actually like fishing Lake Tamarack which is across skyline drive from the upper parking lot of the Ramapo Lake trail.. 10 minute walk versus 25 minute walk and its the same type of fishing....