NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

RVR/SR Night fishing?? - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 12-01-2017, 06:07 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question RVR/SR Night fishing??

Are you allowed to fish from shore at night at either of these reservoirs? Both are super close to my house and I'm thinking of bundling up and going on a nighttime fishin mission! Ideally I'd like to build a small campfire on the shore at RVR and soak some bait and relax, but I woudn't want to get in trouble over something like that. Any information is greatly appreciated, tight lines!
Old 12-01-2017, 07:01 PM
Old Soft Salt

Default Re: RVR/SR Night fishing??

Yes
Old 12-01-2017, 08:01 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I thought the gate to the right of the boat launch has a sign that says you aren’t allowed in after 4pm?
Old 12-01-2017, 08:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Yes, of course you can.

As far as I know, the only reservoir with a curfew is Merrill Creek Reservoir. That place, I can tell you from experience the employees will give you hell if your car is still in the parking lot past closing time. You can probably be charged criminally with trespassing at MCR if you're there past closing time.

If you fish Round Valley at night, you probably want to park in the angler's parking lot by the boat ramp and not the main parking lot.

NJF used to have a regular poster who did most of his fishing at night from the shoreline of reservoirs, but he hasn't posted in a while.

I don't like fishing at night. Eighteen years ago I had a scary run-in with a bear at the Delaware Water Gap that was pulling garbage out of a trash can and got aggressive with me when when I tried to walk past it. I've also encountered some weirdos at the boat ramp at night where I was in more fear for my safety than encountering the bear!

Last edited by Eskimo; 12-01-2017 at 08:16 PM..
Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo View Post
Yes, of course you can.

As far as I know, the only reservoir with a curfew is Merrill Creek Reservoir. That place, I can tell you from experience the employees will give you hell if your car is still in the parking lot past closing time. You can probably be charged criminally with trespassing at MCR if you're there past closing time.

If you fish Round Valley at night, you probably want to park in the angler's parking lot by the boat ramp and not the main parking lot.

NJF used to have a regular poster who did most of his fishing at night from the shoreline of reservoirs, but he hasn't posted in a while.

I don't like fishing at night. Eighteen years ago I had a scary run-in with a bear at the Delaware Water Gap that was pulling garbage out of a trash can and got aggressive with me when when I tried to walk past it. I've also encountered some weirdos at the boat ramp at night where I was in more fear for my safety than encountering the bear!

Thanks for the info! Honestly night fishing definitely isn't my first choice, but with the hours I work I almost never have time to fish during the day. I'll have to carry my trusty knife!
Old 12-01-2017, 08:31 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
I thought the gate to the right of the boat launch has a sign that says you aren’t allowed in after 4pm?
the state park entrance and swimming/picnic/bbq area close at 4.

the angler access area and reservoir are open 24/7. there are campsites too that you can reserve. pretty sure campfires on the shore are prohibited unless you have a campsite and use the fire pit.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:09 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by acabtp View Post
the state park entrance and swimming/picnic/bbq area close at 4.

the angler access area and reservoir are open 24/7. there are campsites too that you can reserve. pretty sure campfires on the shore are prohibited unless you have a campsite and use the fire pit.
Is the angler access area the walk path that separates the main reservoir from the swimming area? I think it has two gates you have to go through to get to the main reservoir?
Old 12-02-2017, 02:55 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookmanski View Post
I'll have to carry my trusty knife!
bear spray (probably works on knuckleheads too : - )

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMOJXE...&pd_rd_w=bK1KY
Old 12-02-2017, 10:53 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
Is the angler access area the walk path that separates the main reservoir from the swimming area? I think it has two gates you have to go through to get to the main reservoir?
no, the access area has it's own entrance, different driveway around the corner from the park entrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomps View Post
bear spray (probably works on knuckleheads too : - )

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002BMOJXE...&pd_rd_w=bK1KY
that is illegal in new jersey. only the tiny pocket sized ones, that would be useless on a bear, are legal here. and you can only carry one. DEP CO or local cops find you w/ bear spray you'll get a nice ticket.

Quote:
Any non-felon 18 or over may possess for your protection
“one pocket-sized device which contains and releases not more than three-quarters of an ounce of
chemical substance not capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury, but rather is intended
to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed
in the air”.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:30 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

if I'm fishing bear turf at night I'll take the ticket.