NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Delaware river float trip advice - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fresh Water Fishing Post all your fresh water topics on this board

Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Delaware river float trip advice

Hey all gonna be fishing from Skinners Falls down probably 17 miles total on a over night trip. I’ll be there the weekend of June 23rd. ANY advice on fishing up that way on a canoe would be great. I’ll def be looking for some Smallies on Rapalas, but other species baits lures etc is appreciated. O and a good spot for dinner that’s not to far! Thanks in advice.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Delaware river float trip advice

Hmmmmmm, great stretch of river but not many places to stop and eat along the way. Narrowsburg steak and chop house and China King are good places to eat. Order something to go unless you plan on cooking your catch. Rapalas, plastics, worms and live bait are your best bet right now when it comes to catching fish. Good luck and please report back! Don’t fish too deep! Most fish are shallow, hungry, just off the spawn or just tired from migrating up river!!!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Sorry, I should of made that more clear. We will bring our own stuff for the river and campsite but, the night we arrive we are looking for a place to eat so we will be in our truck. Thanks for the info tho we are looking forward to the trip. Really was thinking shiners under a bobber and Rapalas.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:47 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

#2 silver Mepps. You'll hammer the smallies and might get a rogue trout or two.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:16 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Had a a great time! Saw all types of deer and eagles. Even saw a black bear in the river. Dead Shad everywhere! We used Rapalas and kietech mostly. The kietech was recommended at the local bait shop and it worked. Sunday was scattered but heavy showers and Monday was windy. The wind made it very difficult to fish as we were moving so quickly. I ended up with 1 keeper small mouth and 1 17 inch walleye which was my first one of levels size ever. My step dad caught 1 keeper smallie as well. I had two shad too, they were younger and didn’t seem to be dying. It was strange cause each had hit my Rapalas. We each also caught a bunch of smaller smallies. We had a blast and it was beautiful!
Old 06-28-2018, 08:40 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1234 View Post
Had a a great time! Saw all types of deer and eagles. Even saw a black bear in the river. Dead Shad everywhere! We used Rapalas and kietech mostly. The kietech was recommended at the local bait shop and it worked. Sunday was scattered but heavy showers and Monday was windy. The wind made it very difficult to fish as we were moving so quickly. I ended up with 1 keeper small mouth and 1 17 inch walleye which was my first one of levels size ever. My step dad caught 1 keeper smallie as well. I had two shad too, they were younger and didn’t seem to be dying. It was strange cause each had hit my Rapalas. We each also caught a bunch of smaller smallies. We had a blast and it was beautiful!
Thanks for reporting back. I guess the youger shad have more ambition and energy
Old 06-28-2018, 12:54 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Grab some takeout on way up and eat quick, set up camp and get out casting.

I always use STORM WIDE EYES on the BIG D float trips and always out fish whomever I am with when using those things there. You can work them at all levels of the water column and they are weighted nicely so they sit well and do not roll in strong current. Get various size/colors.

Everything loves to chew on them-have caught pretty much everything in there on them from kitten SM to Musky. TAKE YOUR TIME ON THE PONDS and you will hit lots of eye too.

HAVE FUN & give'em hell! It is a great time of the year for float trips.