NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Porgys - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Recipes
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Recipes Use this board to post your favorite recipes

Old 10-20-2016, 07:30 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Smile Porgys

Are Porgys any good to eat? Or are the fishy tasting? I love fish and never tasted them.
Old 10-20-2016, 12:02 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Porgys

Try cooking them whole. Scale and gut first. Cut 3 or 4 diagonal slits on either side of the meat of the fish, baste with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, fresh parsley, crushed red pepper 10 mins. on each side on the grill (stuck another whole clove inside with some butter where the guts used to be). That was the first time I ever cooked a fish whole and I loved it, very light and flaky. Want to try black sea bass that way next.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:26 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Had them filleted and pan fried in a light coating of Louisiana Fish Fry...Tasty. Nice light flaky fish. No oily or "fishy" taste. They are very good eating. Enjoy
Old 10-21-2016, 07:10 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Smile Re: Porgys

Also very good for Cevechi !

I FISH I VOTE I MARCHED (BOTH TIMES.)
Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I bleed them immediately upon catching them...as I do with all of my fish. Once bled out, get them on ice immediately. From here there's a lot you can do with them...here's 2 of my favorite ways to have them.

One of my favorite ways to eat them is sashimi or cerviche. I'll keep them buried in ice for 24-48 hrs before preparing for sashimi so they "loosen up". Fillet, skin, and strip out into 1/4" slices. Delightful meat with soy and Wasabi.

For cerviche, skin, fillet and fillet again to get 4 thin fillets from one fish...like thin slicing chicken breasts. Place each fillet on plastic wrap with ample space between them. Lightly whack the fillets with the back of a wooden spoon or meat mallet in an outward/ toward the edges motion. The fillets will increase in surface area and the meat becomes very tender. Do this until translucent. Cut pounder fillets into 1" wide strips and halve them cross ways creating sufficient bites. Lay pieces over cleaned bed or arugula. Cover with plastic wrap and chill. For marinade/sauce, blend lemon juice, peppadews, lime juice, black pepper, sea salt, gooood olive oil, finely minced garlic and dash of sriracha if u like heat. Find the balance of taste you prefer. Once you have it, drizzle over fish. I like to use a squirt bottle. Sprinkle on some finely chopped parsley. Recover and let chill 20-30 min. The citrus and salt will "cook" the meat a bit changing it from translucent to opaque. Preferred level of doneness is subjective. The peppery arugula pairs well with the citrus marinade. Drink with a hefeweizen beer or good sauv blanc like a Kim Crawford. Oooooo I'm f'n fancy!
Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I think porgy fillets are the best for deep frying. Lately I've been smoking them though. All the big ones you want on these offshore trips.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:03 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Personally, I find them pretty strong.. Not as bad as a big bluefish, but to a LOT of people, they are much stronger tasting than sea bass, tog ling, etc...
Not greasy like blues, but strong- kind of gamey.. I talk to a lot of guys on head boats that give them away, and just keep the sea bass, ling and tog... I would rather eat a 2 pound bluefish than a 2 pound porgy... Some people like them, a lot do not. I eat them, not crazy about them -they are a lot stronger than other bottom fish.... bob
Old 01-25-2017, 03:21 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Caught one on a fluke trip last year, if I catch another one I'm giving it to the first taker. Obviously I didn't like it. I agree with bulletbob...
John M. missed and always remembered
I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead (Jimmy Buffett)
Old 02-05-2017, 08:19 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Best fish to smoke hands down. Fileted, skinned in the smoker.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:58 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Cut out the red meat down the center and it is not particularly strong or fishy. Good for ceviche, sahimi, fish tacos, etc.