NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

VHF Radio DSC - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Boating
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Boating Use this board to discuss anything related to boats and boating in NJ

Old 10-23-2018, 10:23 AM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default VHF Radio DSC

I recently upgraded my VHF marine radio to a new DSC model....

DSC stands for Digital Select Calling it does 2 things.... Allows you to hold semi private conversations with other DSC radios and more importantly, allows your coordinates to be sent to the coast guard and other vessels with DSC radios around you.

2 things you need to make this work.... An MMSI number programmed into your radio and a GPS signal ..

You can get an MMSI free here http://www.usps.org/php/mmsi_new/index.php by creating an account and giving them some information about your boat and emergency contact information. Note that this is not the same as your EPIRB registration it's a different number and process....

As far as the DSC radio, they come in two varieties. Units that have the GPS module built in and others don't in which case your GPS coordinates from your chart plotter and you'll need to purchase the correct cable to connect your radio to your chart plotter.

In my case I opted for the built in GPS... It was only $30 more and I didn't have to run any wires...

Once you have your MMSI you need to consult your radio's manual on how to enter it in to your radio... This is a one time process and pretty straight forward.

You should be all set now and anytime your press the red distress button your coordinates will be sent.

Note that you should still make your distress call on channel 16 since many boats around you may not have DSC and you'll also want to give the details and nature of your distress...

If you want to take this a step further and set up semi private calling between others with DSC, you'll need to know their MMSI number and call it. Most radios will have directories where you can program these numbers into a database for future reference... You hail them directly and your call is announced only on their radio, along with a notice of which channel on which you wish to communicate on. Note that if others are monitoring that channel your conversation won't be private but at least you are not announcing on a public channel the channel you're moving too...

I hope this encourages you to upgrade to a DSC radio. The investment of a few hundred dollars is worth the additional safety.

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-23-2018, 03:59 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: VHF Radio DSC

Gerry,

I upgraded 2 years ago, to a Standard Horizon GX2200, DSC/AIS builtin GPS. It sends the DSC/AIS/GPS data out via a NMEA 0183 port, which I hooked into my Raymarine MFD.

Now the MFD will display AIS data, let you set all the various alarms, and if a neighboring boat sends a DSC alert, I receive it and it displays right up on the MFD.

And of course, it gives the chartplotter one more option for GPS data.

You can also register a MMSI on the BoatUS website.

No down side to it.

"Marie's Dream" 1985 21' Trophy
Homeport: Allamuchy, NJ
Old 10-24-2018, 10:34 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: VHF Radio DSC- NOT ALL THAT

You can also get an MMSI # assigned by Sea Tow. I did the GPS NMEA hook up to the GPS,

Gerry, the USCG do NOT run on these Alarms you know? It's not like a radio bases EPIRB.

SAR assets will go to a voice request only. May spur USCG interest but you better get on that radio if you want to see a SAR boat anytime soon.
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Re: VHF Radio DSC- NOT ALL THAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
You can also get an MMSI # assigned by Sea Tow. I did the GPS NMEA hook up to the GPS,

Gerry, the USCG do NOT run on these Alarms you know? It's not like a radio bases EPIRB.

SAR assets will go to a voice request only. May spur USCG interest but you better get on that radio if you want to see a SAR boat anytime soon.
Good to know Frank. So first order of business when you’re in imminent danger is to make your Mayday voice announcement on channel 16...

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-24-2018, 09:51 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyed View Post
Gerry,

I upgraded 2 years ago, to a Standard Horizon GX2200, DSC/AIS builtin GPS. It sends the DSC/AIS/GPS data out via a NMEA 0183 port, which I hooked into my Raymarine MFD.

Now the MFD will display AIS data, let you set all the various alarms, and if a neighboring boat sends a DSC alert, I receive it and it displays right up on the MFD.

And of course, it gives the chartplotter one more option for GPS data.

You can also register a MMSI on the BoatUS website.

No down side to it.
Yeah I’ve seen AIS in action and it’s cool.... Boats in the area, their speed and direction show up on your chart plotter... You do however have to purchase a VHF that has AIS and your chart plotter has to be AIS capabile as well... DSC on the other hand works with or without a chart plotter and AIS...

Gerry Zagorski <><

NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area
Old 10-25-2018, 10:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

But that's only AIS receive. You need a separate electronic gadget and its own antenna that costs about $600 to transmit yourself into the AIS system.

I use that expensive Standard Horizon VHF radio with AIS receive as a joke in my classes...… At least you know the name of the ship that ran you over. A cool and very expensive toy with money better spent on a $200 hi gain vhf antenna on board.

We have one of these VHF/AIS units down at S/T. Disappointing... Its on the VHF radio screen. Too damn small a screen to be of any use. Maybe 2.5" diagonally.

But still a very cool toy.

The DSC stuff is great way off shore and out of cell phone range to talk to partner on another boat and not burn spots. But inshore the go to gadget is still the cell phone to get your bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Yeah I’ve seen AIS in action and it’s cool.... Boats in the area, their speed and direction show up on your chart plotter... You do however have to purchase a VHF that has AIS and your chart plotter has to be AIS capabile as well... DSC on the other hand works with or without a chart plotter and AIS...
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 10-25-2018 at 10:24 AM.. Reason: Additions & Typos