NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it - Page 2 - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 12-24-2016, 08:14 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it

Sweet

RFA

Instagram - salt_life1985

Team F.O.M.F.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Great read Eric. Good topic as well. It began for me early this season and to say there is a learning curve was an under statement for me to say the least. I pulled my hair out the first few times. I would reel up an empty hook almost every time. So I fished for an hour or so and put it rod holder. Catch some fish the traditional way and try it again until I learned the bite and when to swing. It's a whole lot of fun only after you're are hairless. But that too is togging. No doubt there's a time and place as you stated. As the water starts getting colder and we start fishing deeper and what I call big fish season is in full swing I will put it in a rod holder. The biggest reason I will put it in a rod holder is my personality not because it doesn't work. If I bust off a real slob I will beat myself up for days (and I'm sure many others will chime in ) saying you probably would have landed that fish with heavier tackle. Lots of folks can just brush it off and move on but not me. I say fish how every like and enjoy the style you favor.
Thanks for posting this and I will certainly be following this thread. Wishing you all many fish stories and victories.

Last edited by Joey Dah Fish; 12-24-2016 at 08:47 PM..
Old 12-25-2016, 06:22 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Well written Eric. I can add a couple comments that will help your tog jigging. Early on Tommy would say to me "boy you're stubborn, put on some meat", Alex commented about "confidence", and then learn when the jigs will work.
Old 12-25-2016, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Regular

Nice post, has anybody tracked the hangup rate fishing a jig vs a regular setup?
My last tog trip I broke off 9 rigs on sticky bottom and I'm ready to try something else.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:37 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumslick View Post
Nice post, has anybody tracked the hangup rate fishing a jig vs a regular setup?
My last tog trip I broke off 9 rigs on sticky bottom and I'm ready to try something else.
I use these,and have had better luck over the years than I have with egg sinkers.. they are not perfect, but do get hung less than eggs do... bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	sinkers.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	106549
Old 12-25-2016, 11:48 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Thumbs up Re: The history of jigging Blackfish in NJ as I know it

Gonna Have to learn how to jig My pb is 9 lbs I need a dd badMatbe this can do it.. Merry Christmas to all my friends.
Old 12-25-2016, 11:52 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Nice read Eric , i personally was introduced to this over 20 years ago by an ardent tod fisherman on the north shore of LI . I was never hard core togger like many on here in deference from my love for wreck , trout & cod fishing .
Anyway I Thought this way just a localized method of shallow watering fishing for tog .
We used plain lead heads about 1/2 oz , water was under 30' in depth & some days barely 20'. Jigging is certainly a misnomer , u move jig a little more than rig fishing but in no way is it jigging.
More like presenting bait via a jig! In any event I Never really followed thru using or even tried this method on any of my tog trips until several years back a guy on one of my AC charters resurrected my interest when he did a number ,on the toggies that day not biggest but certainly most .
What I like was using lighter tackle which I've always preferred , so I'm now hooked via this methods as so many others are , not a panacea by any means but great add to the arsenal .
Once wreck,season calms down I'll go,back toggin , deepwater application is where I'll give it a shot , developing methods with proper tackle to move big fish interests me since all my big tog have been taken on hot shot or DR rods that moved these big girls quickly a lot better than heavier rod tapers !
Fast taper blanks that stack quickly are my first choice for jig bait fishing !
Old 12-25-2016, 05:14 PM
Rightaway III

Thanks to you, Henry, and Bill, I started jigging and haven't looked back. It not only catches more fish, but it's a heck of a lot more fun! I got my first DD on a jig the other day and.....WOW!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12134.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	106567  
Old 12-25-2016, 08:11 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I know jigging catches fish but for me the bite of a blackfish on a whole white crab is what keeps me coming back
I've caught tog on jigs and that bite doesn't compare.
Don't mean to pee in your Cherrios on this post but just wondering if anyone feels the same.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Pete View Post
I know jigging catches fish but for me the bite of a blackfish on a whole white crab is what keeps me coming back
I've caught tog on jigs and that bite doesn't compare.
Don't mean to pee in your Cherrios on this post but just wondering if anyone feels the same.
I totally agree. But when this fish bite is really picky the jigs help you through. I much prefer the thump thump . The fun thing about the jig is the rod doubling over on most every fish.