NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

MAFMC/ASMFC Advisors Meeting Update - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Fisheries Management/Regulations This board is closed for posting but will serve as an archieve for all Fisheries Management and Regulations posts from other boards.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Site Sponsor

Default MAFMC/ASMFC Advisors Meeting Update

Spent the better part of yesterday in Philadelphia with my cousin Willie and Capt. Adam at the advisors meeting.

While the "official" report will be sent out to council members the week before the next MAFMC meeting (December 8th is the first day of the meeting by the way) and will be available at the Council meeting on December 8th, here is my "unofficial" report.

Summer Flounder - Every state advisor except NY was in favor of maintaining Conservation Equivalency. To those that might not know, that means each state setting its own regulations.
New York advisor was in favor of a single, coastwide management plan (which was expected)

Scup - The advisors, amongst recommending other things, unanimously recommended status quo on the regs until such time as the MAFMC sends the quota recommendation from the SSC BACK TO THE SSC and the Monitoring Committee!

Sea Bass - The advisors, amongst recommending other things, unanimously recommended status quo on the regs until such time as the MAFMC sends the quota recommendation from the SSC BACK TO THE SSC and the Monitoring Committee!

We have reached a point where "settling" for the scraps we are thrown can no longer be tolerated, and no one was willing to even discuss the ridiculous options we are being offered. (I will start another post when I have a chance later today with the "options" for the various fisheries, which of course are only preliminary recommendations from staff. They may change between now and December 8th as landings #'s come in.)

With both Porgies and Sea Bass we have a peer reviewed stock assessment that says the stocks are NOT over fished and are ABOVE their rebuilt targets, but still have a quota that, for Sea Bass, is the same as it was for an overfished and non-rebuilt stock and for Scup that is literally a FRACTION of what the science says it should be.

Time to go back to work, talk later!
Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Re: MAFMC/ASMFC Advisors Meeting Update

Please keep in mind that THESE OPTIONS MAY CHANGE BETWEEN NOW AND THE DECEMBER 8TH MAFMC MEETING< BUT PROBABLY NOT MUCH. Also, different options may arise between now and then or at the meeting in December. These are the options the advisors were presented with and they are typically close to what is presented at the meeting in December. Sometimes there could be a big change when the October and November landings numbers come in (usually right about the time of the December meeting) if they re much larger or smaller than projected, but with Sea Bass being closed since October 5th no one knows what to expect since there were still state waters landings, etc.

Sea Bass
1) 12.5 inch - 25 fish - September 1 through October 19

2) 12.5 inch - 25 fish - May 19 through August 22

3) 13 inch - 10 fish - September 17 through December 31

4) 12.5 inch - 1 fish - September 1 through December 31

Please keep in mind, the advisors REFUSED to even discuss these ridiculous options based on the fact that the stock is now above the rebuilt target. These options come as a result of the assinine quota that was set by the SSC at the LOWEST LEVEL IN HISTORY for Sea Bass despite the fact that the stock is now COMPLETELY REBUILT, and the Bull$h!t MRFSS numbers.

We all agreed, this far, no further when it comes to things like this!

So, feel free to discuss which "option" if you can call it that you might be willing to live with but I will not even waste my time discussing them, they are a waste of time IMO.

More to come.!