NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Wind Farms - Another Perspective - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Salt Water Fishing Use this board to post all general salt water fishing information. Please use the appropriate boards below for all other information. General information about sailing times, charter availability and open boats trips can be found and should be posted in the open boat forum.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:34 PM
Owner NJFishing.com

Default Wind Farms - Another Perspective

Here is the Recreational Fishing Alliance's take on the pending Wind Farms off our coast...Talk about a high inside fast ball, Donofrio does not mince words !!

Opinions anyone??

February 7, 2019
Dear Mr. President,

I am respectfully asking you to please immediately halt all work on proposed industrial wind farms along the Atlantic East Coast. The companies that own these projects are foreign and they have no regard for American commercial and recreational fishermen who have been on these grounds earning a living for decades. Our jobs must come first. These industrial wind farms are an environmental scam of epic proportion. Remember Solyndra?

Mr. President, I was shocked to see BOEM (Bureau of Offshore Energy Management) give these scoundrels the green light for this project. However, I do understand there are many left over Obama people in the Department of the Interior. They clearly are not on our side.

Everywhere these industrial wind farms have been in place, the electric consumer rates have increased dramatically. The only ones who benefit from these projects are the owners, investors, and for the short term, the contracting crews who install and construct them. The entire commercial fishing industry and most of the recreational fishing industry are strongly opposed to these projects.

The USCG (United States Coast Guard) has gone on the record stating that these industrial wind farms may interfere with vessel radar in restricted visibility conditions. The USMC (United States Marine Corps) has concerns also and has gone on the record stating that these huge structures will interfere with their training missions on the East Coast.

Mr. President, the people that support these projects will never support you and your policies and have been handed a softball by BOEM. This is showroom environmentalism at its best.

Mr. President, we need you to intercede on behalf of the American commercial and sport fishing community.

Most respectfully,

Jim Donofrio
RFA

Gerry Zagorski <><

Founder/Owner of NJFishing.com since 1997
Proud Supporter of Heroes on the Water
NJFishing@aol.com
Obsession
28 Carolina Classic
Sandy Hook Area

Last edited by Gerry Zagorski; 02-07-2019 at 04:38 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wind Farms - Another Perspective

Very interesting. I agree if these go in, an American company would be better to work with. I'm also interested in his claim about increased electricity rates with industrial wind farms. How much did the bill go up?

Either way, as a planet we desperately need to make a change to the way we get our energy. I'm sure people will disagree, but emissions are killing the planet and if we don't do something, in 100 years we'll be dealing with much bigger problems. Yes, the climate is changing. We need to stop ignoring it. I would love to see renewable energy be adopted more and more as the years go by.

Just an opinion from a millennial.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:04 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Can't comment on the price of electricity going up or down because of the turbines, he could be right there, but sorry, he's wrong on a lot of what he has stated.

Its been proven time and time again for hundreds of years that large structures in the ocean become massive biological oasis , and provide a lot of great fishing.. The commercials might not like them because they can't drag through the towers, but they'll get as close as they can I imagine ...Those things will have a ton of life in the entire water column around them- in perpetuity ,after the first year or two.. they'll take a ton of pressure off other fish holding areas as well...bob
Old 02-07-2019, 08:12 PM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Zagorski View Post
Mr. President, I was shocked to see BOEM (Bureau of Offshore Energy Management) give these scoundrels the green light for this project. However, I do understand there are many left over Obama people in the Department of the Interior. They clearly are not on our side.Most respectfully,
Jim Donofrio
RFA
So, with that kind of politically charged language...people complain that rec anglers aren't united behind groups like RFA?

That's an aside from the fact that Jim is practically wrong on every assumption he makes re offshore windfarms.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:12 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wind Farms -AND EVEN Another Perspective

I Agree he's panic mongering.

1- The largest hi power electrical utility equipment companies are almost all foreign- Siemans / Asea brown Bavari. And the utility companies are clearly not dead.
2- Europe has had more wind farms than anyone and way more experience to run it. So wouldn't it be a good idea to involve someone who has done it before?
3- Higher power costs are from replacement of baseline sources or hour-to hour overages on higher cost power no one buys except when running short. PSE&G ( my former employer of 21 years) can barely justify the nukes on weekends with the cheap cost of natural gas. And on weekends we are importing everything from cheaper out of state facilities, Notice the new double conductor 345kv lines statewide for interstate transmission? We are now wheeling power to LI with a new submarine hi voltage line you probably never knew existed.
I think they will take a bit of maintenance but so does every other source included STATE MANDATED photo voltaic cells attached to nearly every telephone pole in NJ.
4- Commercial shipping has defined sea lanes (HA, NA, BA) from lower NY harbor. I doubt these windmills are going to be put in sea lanes or the separation zone. That's just ridiculous.
5- The US marine Corp statement beats the hell out of me. Never heard or saw anything USMC in the last 50 years of boating around here.

And as pointed out above and we already know . There are tremendously large areas offshore with no structure fish holding sea beds- ergo no fish staying there. Flat empty lands of shallower (deeper water costs more to build) sandy bottom. Does the writer think the windmills will be situated on some known fishing grounds or the 98% of the offshore area holding NOTHING? Get real. It's like sinking railroad cars and scuttling ships for a reef program. Those clutter the barren bottom for what purpose?

Additionally the writer's is not-in-my-backyard stance for spoiled fishing and navigation is contradicted and proved WRONG where it already has taken place.

A few thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbob View Post
Can't comment on the price of electricity going up or down because of the turbines, he could be right there, but sorry, he's wrong on a lot of what he has stated.

Its been proven time and time again for hundreds of years that large structures in the ocean become massive biological oasis , and provide a lot of great fishing.. The commercials might not like them because they can't drag through the towers, but they'll get as close as they can I imagine ...Those things will have a ton of life in the entire water column around them- in perpetuity ,after the first year or two.. they'll take a ton of pressure off other fish holding areas as well...bob
NJ Boating College- Lead Instructor
Big time hottie crabber

Last edited by Capt. Debbie; 02-14-2019 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 02-08-2019, 03:25 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Question Re: Wind Farms - Another Perspective

Are the ones already built in Atlantic City hurting the Marines ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51697076_3059847990708131_4235074831755771904_n.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	131141  
Old 02-08-2019, 05:13 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Default Re: Wind Farms -AND EVEN Another Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Frank View Post
I Agree he's panic mongering.

1- The largest hi power electrical utility equipment companies are almost all foreign- Siemans / Asea brown Bavari. And the utility companies are clearly not dead.
2- Europe has had more wind farms than anyone and way more experience to run it. So wouldn't it be a good idea to involve someone who has done it before?
3- Higher power costs are from replacement of baseline sources or hour-to hour overages on higher cost power no one buys except when running short. PSE&G ( my former employer of 21 years) can barely justify the nukes on weekends with the cheap cost of natural gas. And on weekends we are importing everything from cheaper out of state facilities, Notice the new double conductor 345kv lines statewide for interstate transmission? We are now wheeling power to LI with a new submarine hi voltage line you probably never knew existed.
I think they will take a bit of maintenance but so does every other source included STATE MANDATED photo voltaic cells attached to nearly every telephone pole in NJ.
4- Commercial shipping has defined sea lanes (HA, NA, BA) from lower NY harbor. I doubt these windmills are going to be put in sea lanes or the separation zone. That's just ridiculous.
5- The US marine Corp statement would beats the hell out of me. Never heard or saw anything USMC in the last 50 years of boating around here

And as pointed out above and we already know . There are tremendously large areas offshore with no structure fish holding sea beds- ergo no fish staying there. Flat empty lands of sandy bottom. Does the writer think the windmills will be situated on some known fishing grounds or the 98% of the offshore area holding NOTHING? Get real. It's like sinking railroad cars and scuttling ships for a reef program. Those clutter the barren bottom for what purpose?

Additionally the writer's is not-in-my-backyard stance for spoiled fishing and navigation is contradicted and proved WRONG where it already has taken place.

A few thoughts...
Here is a thought . Take the same amount of time it took to write your post to research the amount of realestate they want to claim for the wind farms .
Much of it isn’t barren sand .

Just the testing involved for building these farms has been proven to alter fish movement and life in the areas .

Fifty pound + , Striped Bass live release club
Old 02-08-2019, 06:13 PM
dakota560

My basic problem with the entire initiative is like everything else government has their hands involved in, there's always a different agenda than what's presented and what's presented is only spun positively that it's going to benefit us all. Just like everyone is going to find out soon when you prepare your '18 1040's this year and realize the supposed tax benefit on middle class families was over estimated, the new with-holding tables published early last year as a result were understated (less money withheld than should have been) and many middle class families expecting refunds are going to end up owing taxes on their returns. That's government in a nut shell and that's the level of skepticism with which we should review this wind farm project.

I agree we need to do something about use of fossil fuels and green house effect. I don't understand, which is touched on in Jim's letter, why we would have a foreign concern own and therefore control alternate energy sources. That's counter-intuitive to everything said in the last decade, be less dependent on foreign energy. While I realize the structure would be in US waters, why have it owned by foreign interests if it's such an important initiative. Subcontract out the work but own and control the project. I mentioned earlier, devil is in the details. What never seems to get those details. The issues Jim brings up should be addressed and the public should have complete transparency of the project, increased cost of electricity, testing protocols timing and otherwise, location, access rights to the areas developed, potential environmental hazards, potential environmental benefits etc. before the project is approved or testing commences.

These decisions are made in a vacuum without insight by the public so it's impossible to provide an opinion with limited information. I think the tone of Jim's letter and the questions asked are perfectly legitimate and valid. If there's concern about his points, they should be addressed, not questioned without research and a sense of understanding. It's easy to be critical of someone's point of view but it's foolish to question it without facts to back it up and it's impossible to opine without knowledge of the details.

That said, I applaud Jim Donofrio for having the balls to take a position and not just go along for the ride with government in which case we almost always get the short end of the stick.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

Take a look at them. The fishing around them is fantastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind and Sails 2.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	131142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wind and Sails.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	131143  
Old 02-09-2019, 12:45 PM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

For all the tax money wasted on this global warming BS, it would be a lot cheaper to tow old wrecks out there and make a reef that will provide a lot more bottom structure than windmill legs