NJ Fishing Advertise Here at New Jersey's Number 1 Fishing Website!

Message Board

Small Boat - Hudson Canyon - NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey

Message Board Registration       FAQ

Go Back   NJFishing.com Your Best Online Source for Fishing Information in New Jersey > NJFishing.com Best Of
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

NJFishing.com Best Of This board will be locked from posting and will be used to archive the best posts from the main board.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:33 AM
NJFishing.com Member

Default Small Boat - Hudson Canyon

I am looking to try my 1st canyon run this Friday in my small boat. I have been to the Chicken and Glory several times. I was caught at the glory once and took a beating on the ride in.

24 ft center with twin 135 Optis.
radar
C120 nav
handheld nav backup
life raft
offshore jackets
2 radios + a handheld
sat phone
210 gallons fuel
7 rods 50s & 30s
I plan on trolling daisys and spreaders
I plan on leaving Monmonth Cove around 3:30 A.M. with a planed return around 6:00 P.M.
any advice? Numbers? what to troll and where? What com channel out there?
Thanks all

Bryan
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Default Re: Small Boat - Hudson Canyon

Good Luck man, If I had twins on my boat and the fuel range I would be going too.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:06 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I wouldn't go that far in a 24 ft'r but, thats your choice.

Anything can happen and in a boat of that size you are going to be exposed.

Good Luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

That's ballsy. Good luck, and stay safe. Didn't those couple NFL guys die in Florida that were in a boat that small and tried to go off shore with it?
Old 06-29-2010, 08:32 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would add an epirb to your arsenal. Also, several gallons of fresh water tied to a float. File a float plan and leave it with someone reliable. You can usually hear some chatter on 65 - God forbid you have to put out a mayday put it out on the channel you have been talking on. If you put it out on 16 it may not be heard. If you have a boat to run out with it always makes you feel safer. It looks like a nice 3 day window so you should be good. Watch the weather closely and if it looks iffy don't go. Best of luck and catch em up.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:00 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

I would bring more gas.
Then again, I wouldn't go out to the canyon ina 24' boat. to begin with.

For what it will cost you in gas and bait, just go on a 24 hour charter on a 50+' and have a good time.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken of the Sea
I would add an epirb to your arsenal. Also, several gallons of fresh water tied to a float. File a float plan and leave it with someone reliable. You can usually hear some chatter on 65 - God forbid you have to put out a mayday put it out on the channel you have been talking on. If you put it out on 16 it may not be heard. If you have a boat to run out with it always makes you feel safer. It looks like a nice 3 day window so you should be good. Watch the weather closely and if it looks iffy don't go. Best of luck and catch em up.
All great advice. Even boats running out to the Mudhole and Glory Hole should consider getting Epirbs. There's no such thing as too much safety equipment and reserve water, etc. Good luck! Let us know how you do! I'm looking for a ride out there on a bigger center console this weekend.

Also, have at least one or 2 skirted ballyhoo in the spread.

Last edited by Flukinator; 06-29-2010 at 09:47 AM..
Old 06-29-2010, 09:07 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by howarda780
I wouldn't go that far in a 24 ft'r but, thats your choice.

Anything can happen and in a boat of that size you are going to be exposed.

Good Luck.

Anything can happen in a boat of any size. if he has the necessary safety equipment and the fuel range plus a 1/3 spare the size of the boat doesn't mean he will not make it back. Is your cockpit self-bailing? He has two engines, Yes he might take it a little harder on the knees, but his boat will not sink any quicker than the big sportfisher's. In fact his might not even sink at all if it is a model with enought floatation foam. It seems like the guy has his plan in place and has more than a lot of the bigger boats have as far as safety gear. I know a lot of boats that run to the poor mans etc from OCMD that are his size or smaller multiple times a season without a single problem.

Just go over your engines and make sure you have as many spare parts as you can replace easily on the water.

A lot of good suggestions I would bring plenty of water etc, but word of advice just freeze some sealed jugs of water or bottles and you can use that for ice for your drinks and then as they thaw they can be reserve water.

Good luck and go catch them up. If you ever need another crazy F to run with you let me know.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
NJFishing.com Ambassador

I would try and borrow at least 2 more 50 setups. If you run across a pack of bigeye those 30's might be toast and if you get spooled your down a rod or two. That plus an epirb and your all set. I plan to do at least one hudson overnighter out there in my 26' this year too! good luck.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:47 AM
NJFishing.com Old Salt

no offense with this comment, but if you plan to run to the hudson and troll just spreaders and daisy chains you might want to re think your aresenal..

Although a ton of fish come on those lures you talk about, you are going to want to add some others to your spread and not just spreader bars all around.

The fish you are looking to catch are not walking around the 100 line. Some guys have been fishing in 500-1000 fathoms and i dont think your boat is going to hold enough fuel to get you there.

24ft boat and 200 gallons of fuel, if you get good mileage on the boat and say you get 1.5 miles to the gallon, you are getting 300 miles to the tank.

You are looking from up in MI, The hook, 80+ miles to the edge, plus another 10 or so depending on what water you want to take on. you run to the 100square your talking even further.

In my opinion, you either need to charter a boat, find a friend with a bigger boat, or just stay at the dock and enjoy the reports.

We have gone out and started trolling in a lake like setting, all of a sudden the wind comes up and we are getting blasted 30-40kts in our face. granted it doesnt happen all the time and depends on the weather being called for, but you NEVER KNOW out there.. it is you and mother nature, so being an owner of a 24 center console with twin 150 and knowing what i have been through on smaller boats as well as 50-100fters and it is not a place to yahoo around and thats why any experiences captain looks for great weather windows.

Last edited by sportfishingusa; 06-29-2010 at 09:50 AM..